Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Drilling Stock Muffler
Reply #15 - 09/24/11 at 18:54:43

bill67 wrote on 09/21/11 at 16:47:46:
.........I've heard all the pipes on this site and none sound good to me,A single just doesn't have a good sound to me anyway.

I love the sound of a big single.  

One key to having a decent sound in any muffler on large singles is to have a length of pipe with no holes in it carrying the sound away from the muffler.  
 -- If the place the exhaust escapes through little holes is vented directly to outside the muffler, it will sound flat and tinny.  
 -- If you could have the muffler up closer to the engine, and have the muffler dump the exhaust into a straight pipe (the longer the better), it'll will sound deeper and more resonant.

For example, the old Triumph twins and BSA Gold Stars always sounded great.  Their stock mufflers had over a foot of unholed pipe downstream of the muffler, in and out of the muffler carrying the exhaust and sound away.

« Last Edit: 09/24/11 at 20:01:03 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
dan49829
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 07/09/13 at 07:20:18

I drilled two 1/2" holes across from each other and the sound is much improved over stock.  Do larger holes produce a lower tone?

The backfiring on deceleration seems to be worse now, but it may be that it's just louder.

I ordered a Sigma6 jet kit to see if it helps.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 07/09/13 at 11:23:19

Do larger holes produce a lower tone?

i think thats an interesting question.

i wonder if total cross sectional area can be =, yet get a different note, due to a different number of holes...,, my knee-jerk answer is, total cross sectional area of exhaust = tone,, but,, w/o testing,, i cant say for sure.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #18 - 07/09/13 at 19:40:32

Got two appx. 1/2 inch holes in mine courtesy of a previous owner. It's still not very loud. In fact I'd had it for a while before I even noticed that it had been altered. I've never heard an undrilled one run though. I don't really get the "louder is better" deal myself, but to each his own.

IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #19 - 07/10/13 at 06:30:54

I did mine last night, it reminds me of my old Honda XL 650 with a Answer silencer.  It's loud enough for me but I will have to rejet it since it back fires all the time when I decelerate.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 07/10/13 at 06:49:43

PhantomII wrote on 07/10/13 at 06:30:54:
I did mine last night, it reminds me of my old Honda XL 650 with a Answer silencer.  It's loud enough for me but I will have to rejet it since it back fires all the time when I decelerate.

You may need to rejet.....but backfring is not necessarily the measure of proper jetting.  The big single doesn't get enough air fuel when the throttle is completely closed even with proper jetting, and the lean mixture does not ignite in the cyclinder and builds up the muiffler and then ignites.  Try keeping the throttle opened just a tiny bit as you shift gears or decelerate....it will help to keep the bike from backfiring.  You don't need to have the throttle opened far....just enough to allow some extra fuel and air into the cylinder.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #21 - 07/10/13 at 07:52:37

Thanks I will keep that in mind.

IP Logged
PhantomII

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tampa, FL
Reply #22 - 07/10/13 at 15:44:14

Well I was very mindful of trying to keep the throttle slightly open while decelerating, but the back fires continue.  I'm pretty sure the jetting on my bike is lean because i already had to turn the low speed screw out over 8 turns just to get it running acceptable before drilling holes on te muffler.  I ordered a jet kit today hopefully it will arrive in a couple of days.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:30:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drilling Stock Muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.