Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Memphis Slim 15" or 17" (Read 141 times)
ziggy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Memphis Slim 15" or 17"
09/14/11 at 10:12:19

We put stock OEM windshield on wifes new S40 but all it does is deflect wind in your face because its too short.When u add a cold climate to the wind in your face u get to freeze while riding.So is memphis slim in 17" the right shield for this bike?Tall enough to do the job.The stock shield measures a little over 14" so i would think 15" memphis would be too short?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Memphis Slim 15" or 17"
Reply #1 - 09/14/11 at 10:38:49

17 inches is to short a 22 inches is about right.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ziggy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/14/11 at 10:49:00

Thanks i didnt know they offered it in a taller height than 17" I'll go back on their website.

IP Logged
ziggy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/14/11 at 11:04:06

I have to go with memphis fat shield to get the taller height because memphis slim only goes to 17" tall.

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #4 - 09/14/11 at 11:16:20

I have a Memphis Fats 21" that works great. I wouldn't have one shorter than that. I tried the suzuki flyscreen but that was worse than no shield at all. Just my 2 cents.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #5 - 09/14/11 at 11:44:07

I have a Memphis Slim 15" and here is what it looks like when I first mounted it on my bike. I love it...keeps most the wind off me, but if I were to buy another, I would probably go with the 17" for just that little bit more coverage. (I picked my shield up for $20.99 including shipping from eBay and the brackets off eBay for $35.99 including shipping - so shop around a bit for them)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 09/14/11 at 12:57:18

I have the Slipstreamer Spitfire.  Website says its 17-1/2".  I'm 5'2 and its about right for me.  The wind seems to flow right over my head.  It was kinda distracting at first, because I'm looking right about the top of the shield, but got used to it quickly.  How tall is your wife?  And maybe adjusting the angle would help, if that's possible.  I had to play with mine quite a bit to get it positioned where it helped the most.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
ziggy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/14/11 at 21:14:01

Wife is 5' tall and i have the Spitfire shield off her 2004 Suzuki GZ250 but we liked the look of the stock oem shield with the chrome brackets but its useless so going to look at a memphis shield

IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #8 - 09/14/11 at 22:08:59

If you are willing to do some (a lot) sanding, you could get a Memphis Fat windshield to get the height you desire.  If its width is ok then you're done.  If it is too wide it isn't a hard job to slim it down.  Use a suitable width and trace it onto a fully masking taped Memphis Fats.  Then with a jig saw cut out as close to the profile as possible.  Sand the edge down with 150 grit, forming in the rounded edge as you go.  When the profile is right, switch to 250 - 300 grit until all ridge marks are gone.  Next switch to 400 grit to really start the buffing to approach a factory looking edge.  Next step is 400 grit wet.  Then 600 grit.  Finally 600 grit wet.  It produces an edge indistinguishable from a factory finish.
I cut my wife's C50 Boulevard windshield down by 3 inches this past June.  It looks perfect and took about a half day or 5 hours.  Yes my arm was ready to fall off by the end.
I looked for the website that gave me the instructions but didn't find it.  Most have the method with far less sanding and finishing the edge with Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK).  I couldn't get MEK or any reasonable substitute where I live except to order it or take a ferry out of town, so I used the labour intensive method.  Which is actually safer with less chance of destroying the windshield.
Longwinded but I hope it helps.

IP Logged
ziggy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/15/11 at 20:58:51

I'm going with Mephis Fat and if i have to cut it down its not a big deal because i' have a glass shop that will do it for me for a good price.Thanks for the info though

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #10 - 09/16/11 at 00:50:48

Last i knew MEK was now banned in the states. Nasty nasty cancer causeing stuff. If you use it use heavy rubber gloves.
If your pregnant stay the he!! away from it.
Used to use it a lot in the circut board industry.We had half a dozen women on the final inspection line at least that came up with cancer of the fetus from the stuff. And do NOT get it in your eyes!
I figure i got problems down the road sometime from it. We used to literaly bathe in the stuff to clean up squeeges and tools at the end of the day.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 00:27:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Memphis Slim 15" or 17"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.