Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
?? - Fixing Oil Leak @ a Shop (Read 294 times)
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
?? - Fixing Oil Leak @ a Shop
09/12/11 at 16:14:18

I'm away at school and I simply don't have the means (garage to pull it apart in, and a complete set of tools to go with) to dig into the engine to fix the notorious oil plug leak. Last weekend I left on an excursion to take the bike home to fix it with my brother. My friend tagged along for the trip. Well long story short he ended up laying his bike down on the interstate (don't worry, he is fine, a little road rash on his knee) and needless to say my bike was no longer priority. Well it will be a while before I can make the trip home again and I'm at my whits ends with this oil leak.

I took it to a local shop here and presented images of the the plug clap that is the supposed problem with the diagrams provided here in the tech section. The service manager said he has had several savage customers, but none in which that particular part was leaky. (I assume this is likely because they never actually find the correct source) However he also assured me that if I believe that to be the source they would gladly dig into it, clean the guilty area, and install the new head plug with sealant as I requested.

Now here are my questions. I asked him to give an estimate on price. (also why I brought the diagrams, so he knew what he was working with) He said he guessed about, 120 bucks, maybe 180 worst case if it took two hours. This was far lower than what I was expecting and I think I'll go through with it if this is the case, I just wanted to know if this sounds accurate and what I will actually be paying. (I'm supplying the parts). He ALSO said I would need to provide a 'valve gasket' since he would be opening that part of the engine to get to the plug. Now I'm assuming this is the gasket on the lower half of the engine much like the head gasket, but I haven't been able to find such a thing on any parts site as I don't know the exact name or part number. I also wanted to insure it's something I really needed to get.

I told him while he had it open I might as well have a tune up performed. (tightening the head bolts and adjusting valves). He said that shouldn't even take 30 minutes.

So answers and thoughts? I REALLY wanted to do this work myself, brakes, new muffler, raptor fuel thingy, and rejetting, make me feel closer to the bike, improve my very basic wrenching skills, and save a lot of doh. But when you're limited to a basic tool set, a cul-de-sac you have to have the bike together by dark in, and a two hour interstate trip from an allied garage during fall semester, your options are a bit limited.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: ?? - Fixing Oil Leak @ a Shop
Reply #1 - 09/12/11 at 16:47:00

"Valve gasket" ?  I could be confusing bikes again, but I'm pretty sure the valve cover is set more or less rigidly to the head and just uses a thin layer of sealant (like loctite 510) and no gasket.  If he meant the valve inspection caps, those gaskets are reusable. If he meant head gasket or base gasket, he would have said so.

Someone will correct or verify that shortly I'm sure.  If it's correct, that kind of casts doubt on that mechanic's ability, and I'd worry about the job getting done right.  

Maybe clear a couple days wrench time and just rig up a tarp outside the dorm or something?  Undecided

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/12/11 at 16:55:55

Yup,.. the two valve covers are reusable o-rings... the head cover/ cam cover (whatever)... is just sealant (Hondabond), no gasket...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #3 - 09/13/11 at 05:11:37

Yes, the valve cover gaskets are O-rings on the valve inspection covers, front and rear, and they seldom need replacing, just tightened down.  Wake, the one you were thinking was the clutch cover gasket, and there is no need for opening that up for tightening head bolts, remove and replace leaking head plug, etc.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #4 - 09/13/11 at 19:13:58

Well took it in today and got a call near close that it would require pulling the engine from the frame and they estimated a cost of $400. Obviously I told them it was a no go, looks like I'll have to tough it out for now.

On the up side the shop was very up front and honest, didn't charge me a dime for taking it in and attempting since they couldn't do the work promised.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 09/13/11 at 19:29:14

\Why is it we can do this work with the engine in the frame and the dealership can't?

Could it be that they plan to do a full engine teardown and charge you a LOT of money just to fix a silly rubber plug oil leak, mainly because they don't know WTF they are doing?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 09/13/11 at 20:41:54

They wanted you to buy the "valve cover gasket"...
...and,.. they have to pull the engine?...

Go elsewhere...  
These guys will probably drown next rain, looking up...

Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #7 - 09/13/11 at 20:51:22

Wake51 wrote on 09/13/11 at 19:13:58:
Well took it in today and got a call near close that it would require pulling the engine from the frame and they estimated a cost of $400.

(*FACEPALM*)

Pull the engine just to get the valve cover off?   Roll Eyes

You do realize there was NO CHANCE of that shop staying under $400, yanking your engine out unnecessarily, doing god-knows-what to it, and delivering it back to you more oil-tight than it is now, right?

That head plug leak can be fixed later, several months later, when you are between semesters and can cobble up the resources, garage space or whatever,  to do the work yourself.  

$400 buys a whole lot of nice tools, way more than you would need for this job.

Think of the satisfaction you'll feel, having done this intermediate repair yourself, and having a few hundred extra bucks in your pocket as you head out for dinner and drinks with a college chick on the back.  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/13/11 at 20:51:57

400 Hunnert Dollars? They are tryin to make a fortune on it,, You can buy tools & rent a storage building & still have $$$ in your pocket,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 09/13/11 at 21:59:34

I'd do it for a hundred.  XD.  Or watch you do it for lunch and beer.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 09/13/11 at 22:54:12

Boule’tard wrote on 09/13/11 at 20:51:22:
Wake51 wrote on 09/13/11 at 19:13:58:
Well took it in today and got a call near close that it would require pulling the engine from the frame and they estimated a cost of $400.

(*FACEPALM*)

Pull the engine just to get the valve cover off?   Roll Eyes

You do realize there was NO CHANCE of that shop staying under $400, yanking your engine out unnecessarily, doing god-knows-what to it, and delivering it back to you more oil-tight than it is now, right?

That head plug leak can be fixed later, several months later, when you are between semesters and can cobble up the resources, garage space or whatever,  to do the work yourself.  

$400 buys a whole lot of nice tools, way more than you would need for this job.

Think of the satisfaction you'll feel, having done this intermediate repair yourself, and having a few hundred extra bucks in your pocket as you head out for dinner and drinks with a college chick on the back.  Wink

Boule' makes a good point.. If they know so little about this bike as to believe the engine has to come out, odds of them actually solving the problem are really slim,,

& seriously, you can have a the tools youll need to do the work on this bike, & a shop manual for a lot less than 400 bux.. take your time, keep oil in it, study the book, know what youre gonna need to do, when you get a chance , do the work, IDK what a small storage unit costs to rent for a month, but Id look at that if I needed a place to work on my bike,
Id have floor dry & catch pans,, wouldnt leave the place a stained up mess,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Morgii

Me fail English?
That’s unpossible.

Toronto, ON
Reply #11 - 09/14/11 at 07:19:46

verslagen1 wrote on 09/13/11 at 21:59:34:
I'd do it for a hundred.  XD.  Or watch you do it for lunch and beer.

I'd take him up on the offer if I was anywhere near LA.  Always good to have somebody watchin' who knows wtf they're doing... and for what? A sammy and a beer. boom. Cheesy

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #12 - 09/14/11 at 08:06:46

Yeah, verslagen would get that engine practically self-cleaning.  Then, as the Savage was parked in its rightful place by the statue of the University founder, surely a college chick would approach and say "OOoohh Wake51.. your motor's so clean and nice!" as she licks a finger and briefly sizzles it tzZSSt! on the cooling fins.  Cheesy

Much better than Wake51 toiling over oil spills and past-due school projects.. penniless and frazzled after paying the incompetent shop and having to fix their screwups.. and frat boys taunting "Loooooooserrrrr!" while bonking beer cans off his head.  Grin

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #13 - 09/14/11 at 18:04:37

Sounds like they are in the same league as the shop that told my friend they needed to order the shims to adjust the valves on his C50.

Or the one that replaced his rear tire & never mentioned the rim was bent.

Or the one that charged for adjusting valves at 600 miles & never touched them.

Or the one that TRIED to tell him his V-Star 950 needed a valve adjustment at 600 miles when it clearly shows in the owners manual 16,000 miles.

These were ALL different dealerships! I don't trust the dealers to do anything right any more. The only way a dealer would ever get to work on a bike of mine would be if it was something warranty covered. And from what I've heard they probably would try to deny warranty coverage.

Whether they're incompetent or greedy Undecided, the result is the same, YOU get screwed & they think you should be happy about it. Angry

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 09/14/11 at 21:14:07

YOU get screwed & they think you should be happy about it.

Sounds like job training comes straight out of DC,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:32:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ?? - Fixing Oil Leak @ a Shop

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.