Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re: HOW TO factory petcock swap w/ Raptor 660 vide (Read 235 times)
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Re: HOW TO factory petcock swap w/ Raptor 660 vide
09/12/11 at 09:38:03

MODERATOR COMMENT:

A new and well done video has just been added to the tTechnical Section on how to install a Raptor Petcock.  This thread is beig locked and stickied so that it can stay on topic and at the top of the list.  Discusions have been moved to this thread.

Dave

Thanks!  I just had my first hint that the petcock may be ready for replacement -- I thought I was going on reserve, when I switched to another setting it went better, but the tank was near full.  I'm not going to mess around -- the petcock swap seems easy enough!  I had enough problems with a diaphragm/vacuum petcock on my previous small bike, so I have no love for those things!

I'll stick with simple -- "What is simple is beautiful, and what is simple always works." -- attributed to Alexy Kalashnikov*

*  Yes, THAT Kalashnikov.  Soviet industrial designer assigned to design a basic infantry weapon for the Red Army, with reliability and firepower to be the dominant characteristics.  (Not to start a gun thread -- it's just a great quote!)

« Last Edit: 08/08/13 at 04:20:00 by Dave »  

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #1 - 09/12/11 at 10:34:46

drharveys - FSO wrote on 09/12/11 at 09:38:03:
I'll stick with simple -- "What is simple is beautiful, and what is simple always works." -- attributed to Alexy Kalashnikov*
*  Yes, THAT Kalashnikov.  Soviet industrial designer assigned to design a basic infantry weapon for the Red Army, with reliability and firepower to be the dominant characteristics.  (Not to start a gun thread -- it's just a great quote!)

According to a recently viewed documentory... K served as a tank sgt, and designed the gun while laid up in the hospital.  Sorta like being in prison and building a rifle with not much more than a file.

WWW   IP Logged
ylwf3vr

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oahu, Hawaii
Reply #2 - 08/07/13 at 22:40:45

Whew glad I found this post! One question.. After you put the gas back in did you have to put the switch to prime? (If there is one on the raptor) or just put it on "on" and fire her up?

2007 S-40: Dyna Muffler, Raptor, K&N Air Filter, everything else stock
  IP Logged
SteveIsGr8

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Jamestown, NC
Reply #3 - 08/08/13 at 05:17:30

ylwf3vr wrote on 08/07/13 at 22:40:45:
Whew glad I found this post! One question.. After you put the gas back in did you have to put the switch to prime? (If there is one on the raptor) or just put it on "on" and fire her up?

Just put it to the on position.  Since you no longer need vacuum to let the fuel flow the on position acts like the prime position. Just remember to put the raptor to off when you park so the gas flow is cut off to the carb and then turn it to on before you start the bike so you have fuel flow.

IP Logged
JamesThomas
YaBB Newbies

Crazy person

San Francisco bay area
Reply #4 - 02/03/18 at 14:56:57

Petcock replacement would be a great time to add a fuel filter.
To help with that can someone please share what diameter the fuel line is, and what may be a good filter to install?

Thanks.

Just as every thought ever thought about a tree is not a tree -- every thought ever thought is not reality.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 02/03/18 at 15:09:33

JamesThomas wrote on 02/03/18 at 14:56:57:
To help with that can someone please share what diameter the fuel line is, and what may be a good filter to install?

Thanks.

Adding a filter would be a great time to f'up your bike... don't do it.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 02/03/18 at 15:12:07

JamesThomas wrote on 02/03/18 at 14:56:57:

Thanks.

I really don't recommend using "another" fuel filter on the Savage....you already have 3 on the bike (1 on the main, 1 on the reserve, and one just above the needle and seat in the carb).

The problem with an inline fuel filter is that the plastic nipples have very thick plastic, so the hole ends up being very small and very restrictive.  Some forum members have had horrible luck with them as an air bubble can get stuck in the small opening and block the flow of fuel.....and they can't figure out why their bike is running so poorly (or not running at all).

Before you decide to add a filter.....read this thread all the way to the end - where a member who used a really large fuel filter ended up having trouble and removed it after he started having fuel flow issues.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1211846392

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
JamesThomas
YaBB Newbies

Crazy person

San Francisco bay area
Reply #7 - 02/03/18 at 15:52:06

Thanks verslagen1 and Dave. Knowing what NOT to do is as important as a to-do list.

I noticed on page 202 of my CLYMER Manual they suggested adding one.
I trust you guys -- who actually ride the machine -- more.

Just as every thought ever thought about a tree is not a tree -- every thought ever thought is not reality.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 02/03/18 at 21:26:08

Clymer tells it wrong on turning the crank getting TDC, too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PanchoTaffy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/24/19 at 00:41:08

I notice the Raptor tap takes a slightly smaller fuel line, I take it no one has had a problem with this further on down the road.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 07/24/19 at 03:46:33

PanchoTaffy wrote on 07/24/19 at 00:41:08:
I notice the Raptor tap takes a slightly smaller fuel line, I take it no one has had a problem with this further on down the road.

The Raptor petcock flows enough fuel......the only fuel flow problems that can occur are related to installing an inline fuel filter.  The thick plastic housings are horribly restrictive at the hose connections.....they have about 1/4th the area of the fuel line, and bubbles can get trapped and block fuel flow.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 07/24/19 at 04:29:41

The fuel line on a stock Savage is 8mm  , this is not easily found in the US being metric, we generally us 5/16 which is a tiny bit smaller,and proves to be no problem. Inline fuel filters do.
          ( I run 5/16 hose without hose clamps, without leakage due to the tighter fit, it allows easier tank removal ,and allows me to transfer fuel to a fellow biker if he's run out of gas ,simply by pulling the hose off the carb ,and running it into any container - too many of which can be found discarded on the side of the road in my area) Angry

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 07/24/19 at 08:22:50

8mm = .315
and
5/16" =  .3125

virtually the same size, although technically 8mm is slightly larger not smaller.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 07/24/19 at 08:24:03

The outlet should be 8mm, if it is not you got the wrong one.

WWW   IP Logged
PanchoTaffy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/24/19 at 11:21:53

verslagen1 wrote on 07/24/19 at 08:24:03:

The outlet should be 8mm, if it is not you got the wrong one.

I got a nasty one. Got less than 200 miles out of it. Thanks to everyone who replied regarding this.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 22:38:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: HOW TO factory petcock swap w/ Raptor 660 vide

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.