Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
clutch went out? cables snapped? gears lost teeth? (Read 218 times)
mr.HUBA
Ex Member

clutch went out? cables snapped? gears lost teeth?
09/12/11 at 01:47:52

as I was riding home tonite on the 91 E. I was topping off at around 70-75mph, and in the middle of the freeway. Im riding a bit harder than normal because I have a bag of chicken in my leather jacket and im trying to get home before it falls out (redonk I know...ahaha).  So I suddenly start to sputter on the freeway and lose speed quickly.
I hear a POP comming from either the exhaust from a rapid relase of the throttle (no gas comming down).  I start to switch the the far right lanes and eventually end up on the hazard lane with my brights on.

NOW I was pushing this tank of gas  Tongue and the first thing I thought was, dammit I should have filled up before I got on the freeway...

I look inside the tank and there is less than a quarter of the tank left.
Im thankful for that, as I wont be on the hazzard lane calling a friend..

Now I switch my raptor to reserve and give thebike a little gas as I hit the starter button. she starts right up and I exit a quarter mile down.

I hit the nearest station I can find, a 76' and fill up on thier 91.  I fill up my tank full and read the gallons number and it read : 2.245gal.
now thats a dam empty tank Id say...

So as I start her back up and start to take the side streets home, I noticed that my shifting has become much much harder...

I can fully get to the 3 gear and get to the speed limit, but down shifting was redonk! Angry

as I got to red light hitting my shifter into the first gear was just too much. I almost was standing on the dam gear shift to get it down to 1st. then to neutral.  as I get near my pad, Im notcing it even more and more and begingin to think it was not just a simple gas problem  :'(

I park my bike and expect it,

this is what I have got:::::

-the bikes clutch seems to be working in a sense that I can pull the leaver.

-Its almost impossible to get my bike into first gear now and wont catch its gear 96% of the time

-I can fully up shift to 2nd. 3rd. and 4th. without even holding the clutch leaver.

SO, Im guessing the clutch cable went  out on me? OR I have no flippin clue at all...
Sad

Im going to see how she handle tommorw before I go to work. but what do you guys think could be the cause of this???

This is a newer* transmission and engine.

I also wanna factor in my just today recent change in shifting.
When I had my maxim yamaha, I swtiched the gears with a quick pull of the clutch and timed movement with the gear shifter and let go of the clutch fully right after I switched gears.

Now I noticed I never did this on the Savage because I dunno... I just held the clutch in longer and eased it out slowly with my fingers for a smooth acceleration.

I started switching gears like my MAXIM just this morning and was enjoying the fast movement like before, BUT I think Imight have somehow weaked the clutch in some way....

Dam, hit another bike problem  Sad

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: clutch went out? cables snapped? gears lost te
Reply #1 - 09/12/11 at 02:27:07

I had a shifting problem sort of like you describe, it was very hard to get my 87 into most any gear, I don't remember it being easier to upshift than downshift.  However, my cable was shot.  there was one strand of wire left holding the thing together at the clutch handle, in the little gap.  

You might also want to try lubing the cables, Oldfeller (I think) shared a link about using zip lock baggies rubber banded to the tops of the cables with oil in them that will ooze all the way done overnight.

That's all I can suggest.  i am sure others will chime in as well.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #2 - 09/12/11 at 05:21:28

A hand lever that moves doesn't mean much if the lever down on the engine isn't moving or moves very little.

Situations like this remind us of why it could be handy to know how to speed shift.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #3 - 09/12/11 at 06:04:48

Check the shift linkage rod that runs from the toe shifter. It's between your left foot peg and the engine case. If it's bent or otherwise obstructed, this could account for your shifting problem. It's supposed to be straight, and if it's bent it could be scraping against something up under there.

As for the gas problem, I think the Raptor has a different reserve level and you probably were at reserve or below.  Two possibly unrelated but simultaneous problems. Hope this helps.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/12/11 at 15:43:51

Not having a problem shifting up, only down... could be you're not disengaging the clutch fully.

check you clutch action, is the lever on the case between the marks?
Is the clutch lever too loose?  (too much free play)

sometimes when your oil is low or old you can have trouble shifting.

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 09/12/11 at 16:59:23

I'd vote on the cam inside the cover breaking if the lever moves a reasonable amount. That or the cable is toast. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/12/11 at 18:53:52

Watch the lever on the engine, pull th clutch,, how far is it moving?

Can you move it by hand?

Have a look at that shifter rod, Upshifting pulls, downshifting pushes, if its bent, pushing will flex it,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mr.HUBA
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/13/11 at 23:33:19

ok, so my bike worked perfectly fine this morning thru the day. and as i got back on at night time...
it failed on me again! luckily i was near my cuzins house a few houses down when it went bunk.
and i rolled it back there for the night.

so its a bent leaver piece or loose clutch cable?

Im gonna get into it tommorow...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/14/11 at 00:10:37

Hard to say. Seems if it was okay this morning,, it shoulda been okay tonite,, Odd symptoms, but Id have to have a look at that shift lever rod.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mr.HUBA
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/14/11 at 13:50:21

I just got to my bike now and
- the shifter rod between the left foot peg is straight and not obsteucted.
- The clutch lever on the engine moves normally I guess and I cannot move it by hand at all.
- And the bike was ridiable right now but only in first I didnt want to push my bike back down the block again...

So Im gonna keep my bike here untill I can diagnose whats wrong with the bike.

And also, The bike became un shiftable again after I rode it back into the garage.

Sheesh this bike is incredibly bipolar right now...
All the cables seem to be fine, and rods fine as well...
Im guessing its inside JUST maybe the cam cover did break?
How would I find out?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 09/14/11 at 20:17:40

The only way to check the powdered metal eccentric (that is driven by the lever on the clutch case to push the pushrod in to release the clutch) is still in one piece is to take the silly cover off.  

This is gonna cost you a $20 gasket, so before you do it check your clutch case lever position, where is it pointing, relative to the marks on the gear case?    If you don't know what I am talking about, our old buddy Bullwinkle will show you what I mean

======================

Now we are really gonna time & date stamp all you guys -- with a fractured fairy tale like you used to get on Rocky and Bullwinkle in between the main cartoon sections.  

(you do remember Rocky and Bullwinkle, don't you?)

Once upon a time there were three little push rods  piggies......

They lived inside a gear case cover that had slop inherent in its construction.   The slop came from clearance between the eccentric cup thingie and the shaft that drove it (and a little smidgen from the fit up connection of the shaft to the lever on the outside, but just a little smidgen)

The three little pigs industriously and precisely quantified the amount of incidental slop and transferred the markings carefully to the outside of the side cover so they could easily see what exactly was going on with their slop.   They did this by trapping the eccentric flat against the case with thumb pressure and then moving the clutch arm on the outside of the case so they could study and mark where the slop started and stopped.

(slop is important to them little piggies -- they do get right hungry at times you know)

Then the little piggies carefully transferred these marks to the outside of the case with a permanent black sharpie pen.  To keep their minds straight, the three little piggies marked the start point of the real push rod contact motion with an "R" and the start of the waste portion of the incidental clearance motion with a "W".   They knew to ignore anything between the W and the R, but to  pay attention to the R point as the rod is in play compressing the clutch springs past that point.

The slight tension applied by the rubber band should eventually wind up right at the "R" mark as the various push rods are trialed as that is the start of the ideal push rod contact (when the rod is just barely in contact with the eccentric when all the waste motion slop is taken out of play).

============

First the shortest little piggy climbed into the gearcase .....  and found he had no surviving adjustment left to push in the clutch at all.  He wasn't able to push on the rod at all because he was too short.  Not even getting close to the "R" mark meant there was still an air gap between the rod and the eccentric.  This little piggy was dead meat and the big bad wolf came and ate him for a bacon sandwich for his breakfast.

============

The middle length little piggy climbed in next, and the lever just barely moved just a little bit to the very top edge of the good range, permitting just a little bit of possible adjustment range with the lock nuts and handle bar thumb screw.   Heck, he was barely able to push on the rod much at all.   There was some wasted air gap still involved in his motion as he missed resting on the "R" mark by a little bit.  The hungry wolf decided to wait around since the middle length piggy didn't have very long to live and would likely be pork chops by dinner time.

============

Finally, the longest little piggy got into the case and the lever moved to the very start of the good range, giving the maximum possible adjustment span to the lock nuts and thumb screw.  The "R" mark showed that the rod was in light contact with the eccentric but was not pushing in the clutch springs any at this point (obviously that rubber band isn't strong enough to depress the clutch springs any).   This is an optimum clutch rod length for this particular bike at this point in time.   The big bad wolf threw up his hands as this little piggy looked very very healthy and he wasn't gonna wait around all that long as there were other bikes and other clutch rods that were gonna be lunch meat long before this one.

And the longest little piggy went wee ... wee ... wee ... all the way up to the Dragon at Deals Gap to play with the rest of the boys at the Dragon Run

Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin

« Last Edit: 09/15/11 at 06:39:36 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mr.HUBA
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/15/11 at 21:43:32

Ahhhh dam, thanks a bunch!

Ok so im searching online and Im looking for a :

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/products/541321-suzuki-11482-24b11-hard-parts-...

Thats what Im looking for right? Because I got  96'
Also...Im not too keen on that pushrod example.
Do I have to pick up a new set of those to? Or just adjust the one inside the ones there  Shocked

Sorry haha I am not too keen on anything on bikes besides the routine maintenace...aha

But I did get the mark the clutch engine level positions. Thanks!

IP Logged
mr.HUBA
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/15/11 at 21:45:03

Also the rubberband is just on a part of the bike to keep it pulled up high?? Undecided

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 09/16/11 at 05:33:26

The rubber band was put on the lever arm to pull it up slightly to remove the slop in the system for measurement purposes.  I used a rubber band because both hands were busy with the camera, you can use a finger to push up slightly.

All you need to do right now is KNOW WHERE THE LOWER EDGE OF YOUR LEVER IS COMPARED TO THOSE MARKS ON THE CASE.

(where is the bottom edge of your lever now, BTW?   You need to post back with information from the tests for us to be able to help you any)

If you are at the upper mark, yes you need a longer push rod.  Or your eccentric really is broken, you won't know which until you get inside the case.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:21:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › clutch went out? cables snapped? gears lost teeth?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.