Seafoam (Read 320 times)
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Seafoam
09/10/11 at 19:57:07

I bought some.

I just thought I'd let everyone know that.

It's on sale for $6.99 at Advance Auto.

I'm gonna add it to a full tank tomorrow and see how it does.  Smiley

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Seafoam
Reply #1 - 09/10/11 at 21:35:04

Why are you doing this?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #2 - 09/10/11 at 21:39:30

Gyrobob wrote on 09/10/11 at 21:35:04:
Why are you doing this?

Throwing it in the gas tank.. to see if I get better performance...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 09/11/11 at 02:08:29

Wow.   Do you have some sort of fuel or carb issue that you are hoping it fixes?

It isn't a performance enhancer per se -- it might clean up a mild varnish or other small carb issue but it isn't going to give more HP or anything like that.

Too much can make your bike run worse, as a matter of fact.

Roll Eyes     .... ask me how I know this

« Last Edit: 09/11/11 at 04:36:14 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 09/11/11 at 03:17:32

I did that once....not long ago,....Bill talked me into it,  dumped a whole can into a 3-4 gals in an outboard motor tank. It did nothing for the fuel problem. Ended up cleaning black lookin stuff....like paint chips out of all 4 carb bowls. I have never believed in additives, not even Stabil,....still don't. Except some STP never hurt them old Chevs w/ soft camshafts  Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #5 - 09/11/11 at 04:15:05

Routy wrote on 09/11/11 at 03:17:32:
I did that once....not long ago,....Bill talked me into it,  dumped a whole can into a 3-4 gals in an outboard motor tank. It did nothing for the fuel problem. Ended up cleaning black lookin stuff....like paint chips out of all 4 carb bowls. I have never believed in additives, not even Stabil,....still don't. Except some STP never hurt them old Chevs w/ soft camshafts  Shocked

The bottle says 1 oz Seafoam per 1 gallon of gas  Smiley

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 09/11/11 at 07:36:24

Was that black looking stuff suppose to stay in your carbs Shocked

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #7 - 09/11/11 at 08:22:44

Ok.. so the bike seems a bit smoother now, 7k miles... 4k when I got it about 2 months ago. Being my first real bike, I haven't touched the carb to clean it yet, but it was all stock.. worried about my cam chain tension-er.. but no place to take it apart at and measure it. I'm not having any problems that I'm aware of, I'm just trying to make sure everything's up to maintenance.  Smiley

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 09/11/11 at 14:45:29

Jest go ahead and run it for a while -- you don't really need to think of cam chains and stuff until the bike signals that you need it.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1308708632

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #9 - 09/11/11 at 14:51:33

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/11/11 at 14:45:29:

haha, i don't even wanna come close to that sound, EVER...EVER EVER EVER EVER

IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #10 - 09/12/11 at 06:11:31

3 ozs. of Seafoam every 3-4 tanks of gas. Run on reserve 15-20 miles. Switch back to run. If you do this on a regular basis(every 3-4 tanks of gas)your bike will thank you(so will the makers of Seafoam), and you will have a happy life with your bike. I also believe that if you play a C&W record backwards you will get your pick-up truck, girlfriend, and dog back. Can't believe I wrote this and am going to post it. Have fun, ride safe, far, and often---Luke----By the way I got the above info from my dogs.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 09/12/11 at 06:31:19

bill67 wrote on 09/11/11 at 07:36:24:

Was that black looking stuff suppose to stay in your carbs Shocked

No,....but why did you ask ?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 09/12/11 at 07:15:05

Built2Last wrote on 09/11/11 at 08:22:44:
Ok.. so the bike seems a bit smoother now, 7k miles... 4k when I got it about 2 months ago. Being my first real bike, I haven't touched the carb to clean it yet, but it was all stock.. worried about my cam chain tension-er.. but no place to take it apart at and measure it. I'm not having any problems that I'm aware of, I'm just trying to make sure everything's up to maintenance.  Smiley

Check the battery twice a year ! Thats the one that gets me !
If you have an inline fuel filter, you shouldn't need to touch the carb for cleaning,......maybe forever,......even w/o additives.

It is kinda confusing as to the miles the cam chain adjuster can be expected to reach its limits. But sounds now like we need not be concerned at 6-7K miles yet. Do ya suppose some oils could cause the shorter life ?? Grin

Rich
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 09/12/11 at 08:54:21

Wink       Routy, oil war agent provocateur strikes again ....

Yeah, and I hear that bikes that use Klotz can live forever and NEVER NEED AN OIL CHANGE.  

Wow, that Klotz stuff must be special ....

Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin  

Seriously now, look up ZDDP on your search engine and read what folks say happens to flat tappet engines (Corvair, VW, Porche, old straight six chevy, etc) due to EPA removing ZDDP from our modern motor oils.

Diesel oils (like Rotella) still have lots of ZDDP in them, but less than they used to 10 years ago.   They do now include some of the better more modern long life span barrier film additives, but still have 2-3 times the amount of ZDDP as car oils and Rotella has the same amount of ZDDP as most current "racing oils".  

ZDDP is considered a consumable additive, so your oil does lose it over time which is one of the reasons we still change our synthetic Rot Syn every year even though we don't have to.

Cam chain wear still happens though -- Verslagen and I both are living proof of this even though we use a ZDDP rich oil.

HOWEVER ....

Bill's cam chain never wears any though, and he never has to change his red Klotz stuff ever.  

Wink

Could this be because his battery died 3 years ago and his bike hasn't cranked over since then?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #14 - 09/12/11 at 09:55:37

shoot me now - large slow moving target....but i do the Seafoam thing at least every 4th/5th tank - 2oz per tank 8 doses a bottle....and i swear i get a smoother idle and smoother acceleration (easy does it)....is it actually doing anything or is it all in my mind - i dont KNOW -  but I THINK & BELIEVE it does help so i plan to keep doing it.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:15:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Seafoam

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.