ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: High RPM sputtering
Reply #15 - 09/12/11 at 15:40:14

Grin     Bad Verslaggy bad bad bad ....

Yep, I hope he didn't mean what he said he did, but that is a problem for me too -- I read what he says but it doesn't tell me very much information.   Makes it very hard to help him any.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
AZSGT

2006 Bobber

Mesa, AZ
Reply #16 - 09/12/11 at 16:08:24

verslagen1 wrote on 09/12/11 at 15:12:02:
AZSGT wrote on 09/12/11 at 14:48:18:
I put it in fifth and rolled back down the driveway, and let the clutch out forcing engine to cycle. Is this indicative of decomp issue?

As a rule, don't rotate the engine backwards, especially if you have a 4 speed.  You'll bust out your starter.

In my "bike wont start" thread you told me about the issue of the engine stopping on decomp stroke and not starting. I tried doing it forward but did nothing. I even push started it, rode it. Did nothing. If I roll back just enough to move engine, it starts right up. Maybe my starter is saying so long.
Any other suggestions???????

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 09/12/11 at 17:01:09

Low battery, or check engine ground connection by the clutch actuator...
... or de-comp is out of adjustment... (look see how loose that cable is going to the left side of the head... it shouldn't be snug, but it shouldn't have a whole lot of play either...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
AZSGT

2006 Bobber

Mesa, AZ
Reply #18 - 09/12/11 at 17:04:47

Brand new battery (like 4 days old new) and snug ground. Will check de-comp. Thanks serow. That steak is in the mail. De-comp cable is tight. Maybe too tight. No play at all

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 09/12/11 at 19:22:03

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #20 - 09/13/11 at 04:55:39

I just now looked at this thread,.....just been bypassing over it,.....not needing to read anymore stupid petcock threads.

But, right from the get go, how can it be anything other than a carb problem ? It is intermittent for God sake ! And the choke fixes it !
That leaves out,......
air cleaner
valve adjust
decomp release adjust
and IMO, any electrical

He said he can't do the carb himself, and that is where the problem is.
So,.....sad to say, he will need a shop to fix this.
And hopefully, either he or they will inspect the tank, and install a fuel filter at the same time.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #21 - 09/13/11 at 05:07:42

Once you put Sea Foam in you have to drive it some it takes a while to work.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Chadjac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 09/13/11 at 06:31:15

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/12/11 at 14:52:29:
So, tell us what you worked on right before the problem started.

Honestly, I did nothing before this started.  I don't fix stuff that ain't broke.  I work 2nd shift, and the night this started it was a cool night, around 50 or so.  I took off down the road from work, got to about 55 mph and it started to die, so I pulled the choke out a notch thinking the cool air was killing it and it was fine.  It didn't do it the next day to work, but that night it died on the highway going 65.  I got it home and then I started to try and figure the problem out.

I can hit the local shop for an air filter to see if that helps, and maybe let it run some more to see if the Seafoam unsticks something.

I'm hesitant to pull the carb, but I guess the worse that can happen is that I have to take it in anyways.

Thanks for all the replies.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 09/13/11 at 07:15:37

Shite, no wonder this old man is getting confused -- we got two different newbies on the same thread chasing different issues.   Ain't there rules against that somewheres?

(Routy sez he didn't get bushwacked by the same situation, so now I feel totally stupid/bad -- and thanks for the heads up Routy, dealing with ONE set of issues at a time isn't really that bad.   You are doing a good job helping them newbies, BTW no matter how young you are.)

Don't you young whipper snappers know you can make somebody's aging headbone jest plain implode into grey goo doing that sort of double-talk nonsense?

Hmmmmm .... how about I start addressing solutions to names as a habit, at least this way I'll be making a little better sense then anyway ....  but that implies I can really remember all the details of their individual issues without backreading the thread, which ain't ever gonna happen -- I'll get them all confused.

Dudes, you motivate me to do something I knew was gonna happen eventually -- I think I need to Justinificate or mebbe even go as far as full Billification since obviously I can't keep up with all the stinkin' information you are all throwing down on the same thread.

Gots to protect what little cognitive function I got left, you know ....

Routy's here anyway, he'll take care of you jest fine.   He's young and fresh and he still has all his opinions intact and tightly wrapped together.

I'm gonna go over here to my rocker and mumble to myself for a while.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #24 - 09/13/11 at 08:01:00

OF,
Now you got me confused,.....I got bushwhacked ??
It was hard to decyper the 2 different posters, but I did before I posted.
My post was to the OP only. And I can only wish I was 65 yrs old ! Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #25 - 09/13/11 at 08:07:48

bill67 wrote on 09/13/11 at 05:07:42:

Bill,
Could you supply a list of stuff that seafoam really will desolve,....that gasoline won't, excluding the typical varnish that used to build in carbs,.....that doesn't anymore,....despite what some still believe ?

Rich
  IP Logged
Chadjac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 09/13/11 at 08:28:12

Routy wrote on 09/13/11 at 04:55:39:
And hopefully, either he or they will inspect the tank, and install a fuel filter at the same time.

What all should I look for with the tank?  If I install a fuel filter does it go in-between the petcock and carb? (guess that's the only place it could go)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 09/13/11 at 08:29:00

AZSGT wrote on 09/12/11 at 16:08:24:
verslagen1 wrote on 09/12/11 at 15:12:02:
AZSGT wrote on 09/12/11 at 14:48:18:
I put it in fifth and rolled back down the driveway, and let the clutch out forcing engine to cycle. Is this indicative of decomp issue?

As a rule, don't rotate the engine backwards, especially if you have a 4 speed.  You'll bust out your starter.

In my "bike wont start" thread you told me about the issue of the engine stopping on decomp stroke and not starting. I tried doing it forward but did nothing. I even push started it, rode it. Did nothing. If I roll back just enough to move engine, it starts right up. Maybe my starter is saying so long.
Any other suggestions???????

Sounds like you might need new brushes.
I just wanted to caution you about going backwards and others that may try it.  On a '95 or later, go back far enough you'll hear a sproing.  That's the torque limiter doing it's job.  On a pre'95 you'll hear a crack, as you're loosing teeth or the case will break.

Pushing it backwards will rotate the starter and get it off a dead winding or commutator.  Or cause the brushes to stick out a little further.  I'd take it apart and see what's up.  You might just need a rebuild kit.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #28 - 09/13/11 at 09:27:45

Routy wrote on 09/13/11 at 08:07:48:
bill67 wrote on 09/13/11 at 05:07:42:

Bill,
Could you supply a list of stuff that seafoam really will desolve,....that gasoline won't, excluding the typical varnish that used to build in carbs,.....that doesn't anymore,....despite what some still believe ?
Routy

Where did that black stuff in your fuel bowls come from after you used SEA FOAM.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #29 - 09/13/11 at 10:36:21

Verslagen, are you still talking to the thread hijacking nonsense talking inconsistent one that doesn't belong on this particular thread?

If AZSGT wants some help, he should start up his own thread and he should quit confusing and mind damaging the feebleminded helpless old people by hijacking Chadjac's thread.

( Cheesy   helpless old people like you and me)

Besides, Bill & Routy's got this one well in hand now .....  they'll finish it up.

(Argh, speak for yourself hepless, if you got a splitting migrane then split the thread)

Yowser, I'm all hepless, mindburned and too too stewpid ta live    Wink

I gots Billitus a creeping up on me ....

« Last Edit: 09/13/11 at 19:34:16 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 18:32:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › High RPM sputtering

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.