Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cam Chain Tensioner -- how bad is this? (Read 594 times)
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Cam Chain Tensioner -- how bad is this?
09/09/11 at 12:44:37

Hey all, time for the old oil change and I decided, after reading about all of the fun problems associated with it here, that I would tear off the clutch cover and inspect the cam chain tensioner.  It didn't look good from what I read; the plunger was out about 16-17mm.  The girl's at 6400mi. (2005 S40).  1500 from me in the past few months, the rest from the previous two owners.

My question is, I guess, what are my best options and is she still ridable in the meantime?  I know I need to talk to Verslagen about getting one of his set-ups, but what about the mean time?  I LOVE to ride, and can't stand just seeing her on the stand waiting to be fixed, but if safety is a concern I may have to...any advise is greatly appreciated.
~Cheers, Chris

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Cam Chain Tensioner -- how bad is this?
Reply #1 - 09/09/11 at 13:49:25

Verslavvy on isle 5, can we get a Verslavvy on isle 5 please.  Cheesy

17mm extension is an awful lot for only 6400 miles.  I would double check the measurement and make sure you are only including the cylindrical part of the plunger.  If is indeed 17mm out, don't run it.  That is only 2mm oops, 5mm away from springing apart and trashing your engine.

Personally I'd replace the cam chain too, since it may have had a really hard life.  But that option isn't so popular, when you can more than double the life of the chain with the modified tensioner.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/09/11 at 13:51:46

Now is a good time.
But it has to be fixed before 22mm
1mm = 1000 miles
You have about 5mm to get that fixed.
How long till winter for you?

WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 09/09/11 at 14:29:43

An 2005 w/6400 already out that far  Shocked

Now you have me worried!!! I am also the 3rd owner of an 2005 that had about 5000 on it when I bought it and it's up to almost 8000 and I haven't popped that cover off yet. I planned on checking it this winter and sending it off to Vers then, but now I'm really worried  Sad Might just have to dive in sooner than later.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #4 - 09/09/11 at 14:35:57

B- yep, that is just the cylinder portion of the plunger.  I will replace the chain eventually, but may take the cheap road for now (Verslavy) if thats safe.

Verslagen, I'll PM you about getting a verslavy.  If it could last till 8000mi that would be the next oil/filter change and would be closer to winter.  I'm in Raleigh, NC so it never really gets to be "winter"...if it aint snowing, I'm gonna be riding, or at least trying.

Could this have been cause by low idle speed mixed with heavier weight oil?  The PO had the idle set very low (thumpa thumpa low) and was using 20W-50.  I've set the idle higher and am using a 10W40 now.  Just an idea.

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #5 - 09/09/11 at 14:38:48

This is the area you measured, correct?

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #6 - 09/09/11 at 14:42:34

Yep.  Just posted a pic.  Looks exactly like the one from the tech section unfortunately I was in the same spot as you.  Figured I'd be good.  It's a low mile 2005...PO's can be a B!$@* I'm learning...

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #7 - 09/09/11 at 14:47:43

I changed mine at 17mm while I had it apart for plug cap leak fix.  I had to use the second (outtermost hole) when installing the Verslavy.  Using the first hole on the Verslavy bottomed out the pin in the slot, so no gain there.  Just shows how close the original was getting to popping out or wearing on the housing at minimum.  I'd change it now and have the piece of mind.  Wink

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
HJH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cheyenne, WY
Reply #8 - 09/09/11 at 15:28:45

Only had 4,500 miles on my tensioner and it was at 21mm when I took off the side cover.  Whew!  Saved by the Verslavy!  New oil filter and oil, new side cover gaskets, valve adjustment, and much quieter on the road!  But, since I too had to use the second hole inthe Verslavy, it will be new cam chain time when I tear into it again.  A couple of years, based on the number of miles I ride per year.

Silver '02, Dyna, Raptor Petcock, VM carb at 6000 ft, Q2 needle, 12.5 pilot, 170 main, UFO, Verslavy, Pirelli 150/90, Plexistar 2 Windshield, K&N filter, Tourmaster II bag, Progressive Shocks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 09/09/11 at 15:45:43

Not xactly a ringing endorsement of the bikes..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 09/09/11 at 16:05:16

Justin, we know from the OEM cam chain mgf that Suzuki didn't buy the OEM's top of the line silent drive chain, and now they (Suzuki) are buying a substitute chain from a Chinese supplier for the current production bikes and aren't even buying the original OEM's chain any more.

Nothing on the 2000 and up bikes are lasting like the original 1987-2000 bikes lasted ....   "made in China" ring any bells with anyone?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 09/09/11 at 16:59:35

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/09/11 at 15:45:43:

Bad cam tensioner,Bad chain,Bad tires,Bad seat,Bad oil leaks,Bad stability,No way to check oil level, Geared for 50mph cruise speed.Bad hoses,Bad Petcock.Bad brake squeal,Bad speedometer location,Not enough travel in suspension Other wise its a good motorcycle.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #12 - 09/10/11 at 19:16:09

bill67 wrote on 09/09/11 at 16:59:35:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/09/11 at 15:45:43:

Bad cam tensioner,Bad chain,Bad tires,Bad seat,Bad oil leaks,Bad stability,No way to check oil level, Geared for 50mph cruise speed.Bad hoses,Bad Petcock.Bad brake squeal,Bad speedometer location,Not enough travel in suspension Other wise its a good motorcycle.

But it has a good fuel gauge right?  Cheesy

IP Logged
jjn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hi. USA
Reply #13 - 09/10/11 at 22:26:13

Yeah here I was thinking of getting a new S40. I was aware of the tensioner problem. But now I hear they are using a crappy cam chain too that will wear out rediculously soon? Starting to believe I should have kept my Royal Enfield Bullet.

I think I'll pick another bike. Too bad, as I'm an old thumper rider.

Other Japanese bikes with more conventional cam chain tensioners  have their problems too. Check out a forum for the Suzuki DRZ400 series, and the Kawasaki KLX250S has them too.    I'm starting to appreciate the simple reliability of a pushrod engine.    

jon

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 09/11/11 at 04:27:35

The world is the way it is --- bikes designed in the 80's and tested out with American and Japanese grade components may not perform or last in the 2012 models built off a Chinese vendor base.  

Sorry, that's just the way it is.   And it affects all makes of bikes, we just have data on ours to prove it because it and we have been around that long.

Our OEM bone stock engine is slow revving and could run push rods just fine.   We rarely break 5,500 rpms in stock format.   Heck, a putt putt person won't ever break 4,500 rpms.

Mod your bike though, and you can go up to 7,000 rpm and pushrods simply won't work at those RPMs.

As far as these new bikes showing very low cam chain wear mileage -- hell, we were all shocked when they started dying less than 25,000 miles about 5 years ago.  

Verslagen kept a database of cam chain wear out miles and extension amounts back then, so if there is a sudden new downward shift just lately he should be able to say so, definitively.

Verslagen, Isle 3 --- data spill on Isle 3

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:32:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Chain Tensioner -- how bad is this?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.