Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tick Tick (Read 251 times)
AZSGT

2006 Bobber

Mesa, AZ
Tick Tick
09/08/11 at 18:22:43

So I have a question that has probably been gone over 1000000 times.

When I start my bike in the morning all is well. When I leave for home from work, it us usually 105 degrees or more. By the time I get home, my bike is ticking like a time bomb. My ride is around 75 miles all freeway, and with 100+ weather.

So.... I know our bikes tick naturally. Especially when hot. But when does it become an issue or indicative of one????? I am certain it is not cam chain I am hearing as it is in the top end and I am only at 6k miles.

Can it tick it's self to death???

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Tick Tick
Reply #1 - 09/08/11 at 18:29:16

Normal... louder when it's hot...
It won't tick itself to death,... but, you might consider slower to 60 or 65mph to give it a break in the heat...
Push it too hard, and it will overheat and seize... 60mph on this bike is not pushing at all... It'll do that all day in any temp that you can stand to ride...
100+ temps are hard on everything,...
...especially me... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
AZSGT

2006 Bobber

Mesa, AZ
Reply #2 - 09/08/11 at 18:33:44

You and me both brother!!!! Ya I have let it sit for an hour and just started it and it is purring like a kitten.

Now to start another issue. Doesn't faster speed = more cooling?
I know it means more heat but... The cooling effect at any given speed has to be more than than heating effect at the same speed. Or else any stopping would kill the engine cause you could never recover the heat incurred during the stop.

Or am I dumb lol

IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #3 - 09/08/11 at 18:54:36

Thanks for asking about the ticking thing, AZSGT, I bin wonderin' about that myself (up here in frigid Prescott). As to the other, faster = more load. More load where you & Serowbot live probably trumps any benefit that might be gained from greater air flow, since the air that's flowing is already hotter than the hinges of hell. Race cars, bikes, whatever, can't outrun the heat they generate; they need to run slower before they're shut off.

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #4 - 09/08/11 at 19:29:45

Should you let the bike idle a while after a ride, before shutting off? If yes, for how long?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 09/08/11 at 19:42:53

You are thinking in "car think" -- your Savage has no fan, has no radiator, letting it idle hot is bad because there is no air flow and Worse, you just dropped the oil pressure a good bit by going down to 1,000 rpm idle speed and the engine is very hot and the oil has thinned out accordingly.

BTW, it is critical to make sure your bike has a nice smmoooth relatively fast idle speed -- you need the oil pressure.

None of this cool sounding super slow "lumpa lumpa" Hurley nuts ....  it is bad for your plain aluminum cam bearings !!!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 09/08/11 at 20:11:42

Think of yourself out in the heat...
If you just stand still in the sun, you'll melt...
.. a comfortable strolling pace, and you feel some air movement...
.. but, try to set a mile record you'll blow a gasket..

Idling for more than a few minutes in heat is tough on the bike...  a 20 minute or longer traffic jam will make your engine stall and possibly seize...  I shut off in those situations, maybe pull over...
... but running at half throttle or above, is hard too...
Your bike is at it's most efficient and runs coolest at an easy lope... This is when the engine draws it's highest vacuum, and you burn the least fuel per mile...
... perhaps it is at it's coolest there, because it's burning the least fuel per mile... and, fuel = energy= heat...  that speed will give you the most air-cooling vs fuel burned ratio...

This isn't just bikes or air-cooled engines... when I ride up Mt.Lemmon (near me)... from 2600ft to 9,000ft in 30 miles,... there are a surprising number of overheated modern water-cooled cars pulled over with the hood up...  and my bike is still putting along fine, because I'm riding in her sweet spot... about 40mph in 4th, 50 in 5th...

Okay,.. now I'm just rambling.... Huh...
The point is,... least fuel burned per mile = most cooling... 50 to 60 mph in 5th gear...
To cool a bike that is overheated,... the best option is to run in that sweet spot, if you can (45 to 60mph in 5th, 35 to 50 in 4th, etc... no lugging, no revving)... if that's not possible,.. don't idle, shut it off immediately... and hope for the best...

« Last Edit: 09/08/11 at 21:51:21 by Serowbot »  

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #7 - 09/11/11 at 04:12:59

Great advice! I have never let it idle when I get back from rides, I just shut er off and listen to her pop once Wink

Great tips about riding in the sweet spot for maximum cooling and fuel efficiency. And reaally great tip about being in a traffic jam in hot weather. Never thought about that but on an air cooled machine, it totally makes sense to shut er down.

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/11/11 at 05:31:24

Really hot weather switch to a full syn. 20-50 motorcycle oil like Mobil 1 or Amsoil. You should hear a difference.

Like others have said slow down a little or add a chain drive set up to lower the cruise rpm.

Bikes are like us we only have a limited number of heart beats...using them up being stressed.... will put both in the bone yard.

IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/11/11 at 07:26:33

At stock carb settings these things run very lean....lean mixture equals hot engine. I have to lean mine out quite a bit to pass the annual smog test and the engine pings like a banjo. If I enrich the mix back up to where it belongs the pinging almost goes away. try turning your mixture screw out a full turn and judge for yourself.
AZSGT your in Maricopa County so you have to do the smog test to. If your bike will pass the test without you having to touch the carb then you are running way too lean.

IP Logged
AZSGT

2006 Bobber

Mesa, AZ
Reply #10 - 09/11/11 at 12:24:42

How do I fatten my mix back out?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 09/11/11 at 12:37:33

They only test at idle,... right?...

You can fatten up the main, and/or do the 2/3 needle spacer mod and it won't effect anything...
Richening the idle mix is only for decel pops or stumbly idle,.. don't make much difference to running temps.... but  if you do richen the idle, it's just a screw turn to set it back for emission testing anyway...

Here's a link to my tuning guide, to see if you might need it...
Don't just rejet a stock bike 'cause you think you might need it... just a waste of gas if you don't...
Serowbot's carb tuning tips for beginners...
Wink...

IP Logged
AZSGT

2006 Bobber

Mesa, AZ
Reply #12 - 09/11/11 at 15:25:33

Thanks Serow. You are a god send. If you weren't in Tucson I would come by you a steak dinner.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 09/11/11 at 15:43:52

AZSGT wrote on 09/11/11 at 15:25:33:
Thanks Serow. You are a god send. If you weren't in Tucson I would come by you a steak dinner.

Ill bet theres a place there you could get him a gift card..

just sayin..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
AZSGT

2006 Bobber

Mesa, AZ
Reply #14 - 09/11/11 at 15:57:20

WOW Justin!!! I was just trying to be nice, now I feel obligated!!!! Tongue Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:25:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tick Tick

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.