Send Topic Print
Exhaust Gasket Seal (Read 189 times)
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Exhaust Gasket Seal
09/08/11 at 13:31:39

Do you replace this seal EVERYTIME you change headers? It doesn't say anything about it in the manual.. I've changed header pipes and didn't replace it.. ugh.. I hope no damage to the engine has been done..  :'(

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Exhaust Gasket Seal
Reply #1 - 09/08/11 at 13:41:34

Naw, they can be reused many times.
replace when it leaks.

WWW   IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #2 - 09/08/11 at 14:19:42

Hmm.. I can't really tell if it's leaking... it seems like I'm not getting enough tone and power, just at certain points. I have a #150 main, K&N square air filter, and a HD dyna, and I know I have a few tiny leaks in the header to muffler.

Oh wells, I just got a new seal today and I have a RAASK exhaust system on the way.. I'm just gonna stay off of it till I get that bad boy.

Yeah, I'm really stressing that seal... seems like I have all the power, somethings just not 100% right though. They didn't say anything at the Suzuki shop when I had the new back tire put on though.

Or maybe I'll just take it off have a look... but that's such a pain. cause I don't have a shop, just a driveway to work on.. lol

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 09/08/11 at 14:29:21

If you're worried about it, go ahead and replace it. They don't cost much. Pretty easy to change too. 4 bolts. I've had mine torn down nearly to the frame, motor, wiring and forks, while sitting on a block in my garage, during winter. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 09/08/11 at 14:45:10

It's just a crush type gasket that's easy to swap. I swapped mine with the last muffler swap and took the following measurements/pics. If you already have the RAASK on the way, I would just wait and do it then.

Old Gasket was crushed to 3.33mm and New Gasket measured 5.49mm

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #5 - 09/08/11 at 15:11:56

EJID wrote on 09/08/11 at 14:45:10:

The official Suzuki seal I ordered isn't a crush, it has some kind of material on it. I'm just gonna wait, and probably need a tune up and a #155 main and new pilot.. which I'm gonna have the shop throw in since I have no working room at the moment (driveway).

This is my first motorsickle, and when I put on the new header I didn't even know to check for the gasket, I'm assuming its stuck in the engine since the owner did no work but maintenance and everything was stock, and it came with only 4k mileage. I'm just gonna wait for the RAASK which should be here in a few days.

Thanks for the measurements though, woulda come in handy if I did take off my header and measure the gasket..  Smiley

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 09/08/11 at 15:31:07

verslagen1 wrote on 09/08/11 at 13:41:34:
Naw, they can be reused many times.
replace when it leaks.

I was under the impression that crush type gaskets had to be replaced every use?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 09/08/11 at 15:34:45

Built2Last wrote on 09/08/11 at 15:11:56:

The official Suzuki seal I ordered isn't a crush, it has some kind of material on it. I'm just gonna wait, and probably need a tune up and a #155 main and new pilot.. which I'm gonna have the shop throw in since I have no working room at the moment (driveway).

This is my first motorsickle, and when I put on the new header I didn't even know to check for the gasket, I'm assuming its stuck in the engine since the owner did no work but maintenance and everything was stock, and it came with only 4k mileage. I'm just gonna wait for the RAASK which should be here in a few days.

Thanks for the measurements though, woulda come in handy if I did take off my header and measure the gasket..  Smiley

If it looks like the new one in the pics it is a crush, as was the one I got from Suzuki. The stuff on it is a sealant, so don't clean it off. And don't forget to re-torque it after the motor heats up and cools down a few times.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #8 - 09/08/11 at 15:37:25

arteacher wrote on 09/08/11 at 15:34:45:
Built2Last wrote on 09/08/11 at 15:11:56:

If it looks like the new one in the pics it is a crush, as was the one I got from Suzuki. The stuff on it is a sealant, so don't clean it off. And don't forget to re-torque it after the motor heats up and cools down a few times.

Here's the pic of the face of each gasket as well...if I recall the new one did have a bit of a sealant type material on the face of it.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:25:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust Gasket Seal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.