Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Well, I'm chopping my stock seat up... (Read 630 times)
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Re: Well, I'm chopping my stock seat up...
Reply #15 - 09/10/11 at 18:29:22

Bill, I just got back from another test ride and that was my conclusion. I also decided that the pad will need to be inset into the original foam. It will be hard to cut out the area for it, but if done right, I could later swap in a gel pad for the rubber foam. I also think lowering me back down a notch will be better for my back.

I'm busy tonight, but I'll be tearing it down tomorrow...

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #16 - 09/10/11 at 19:54:19

I used an electric knife on mine, you know like you slice a ham or turkey with. It shaves through the foam nicely, just a little hard controlling and you cant scoop with it, but it helped alot with the main shaping. I inserted a Saddlemen raw gel pad for comfort.

Good luck!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #17 - 09/11/11 at 01:47:07

Thanks Babyhog. Yeah, I originally tried shaping with a sanding disc pad on my drill. That was really hard to control, except on edges. Couldn't scoop with it or anything. The hand shaping is slow, but it does the trick!

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #18 - 02/11/12 at 21:37:44

My seat is virtually done, and it's on my bike now. Needs a few tweaks, but it's pretty awesome.

I've been away from the site for a while. RL has taken over and kept me very busy.

I had a ton of pics on my phone, but when I tried to transfer them to my compy, the memory card corrupted ALL of them. Unfortunately, there were a ton of images of the 'in progress' phase. I do have some pics of the new modded seat on the bike. I'm very happy with it. I'm going to get some pics uploaded so I can show them here.

(Google decided to hide my pics that were uploaded to Picassa when they switched to Google+ - I can't find them or access them. I'll find another way to upload the new pics. )

Anyway, I hope everyone is having a great new year and is kicking ass.

IP Logged
AlphaBarney

Were you born to
resist, or be
abused?

Raleigh, NC
Reply #19 - 02/14/12 at 15:50:05

I recently did this mod to my one piece, too.  Wanted to get more of a low profile curve in the rider seat pan and get it really low profile in the passenger seat since I never really ride two-up (wife's expecting).

I went through exactly what you were thinking about.  Used a serrated blade to remove a bulk of the material, then fine tuned with fine sandpaper (220 I think).

Thought about an older two-piece from a Savage, should bolt right on to the stock side tabs no?  Didn't get pics of the process for this one, but here's the before and after.

It works for now -- temporary anyway until I get a bobber type solo seat to put on 'er after paint.

Cheers!

"Betty"-'05 S40
  IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #20 - 02/14/12 at 16:56:24

mmosel wrote on 09/10/11 at 14:52:13:
I'm still working on the shape a bit, but the main thing to get the rear curved rather than straight is totally key. If you look at a stock one piece seat, you notice that the rear of the front seat is perfectly flat! That is what causes some serious pain on the tail bone, especially for me being 6'. I'm not sure on the height just jet, but it's close.

I have more pics to come...

You could make me an offer on these.

002.JPG

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #21 - 02/14/12 at 16:57:36

Cavie wrote on 02/14/12 at 16:56:24:
I'm still working on the shape a bit, but the main thing to get the rear curved rather than straight is totally key. If you look at a stock one piece seat, you notice that the rear of the front seat is perfectly flat! That is what causes some serious pain on the tail bone, especially for me being 6'. I'm not sure on the height just jet, but it's close.

and this one

Rear seat is Honda. Too big to suit me

003.JPG

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
Cavie

My wife made me do
it

Port charlotte Fl
Reply #22 - 02/14/12 at 17:00:19

Cavie wrote on 02/14/12 at 16:57:36:
Cavie wrote on 02/14/12 at 16:56:24:

and this one

Rear seat is Honda. Too big to suit me

You could use your front to cover the rear to match

005.JPG

'05 Boulavard S40
'03 Volusia Intruder
  IP Logged
kuri77

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rancho Santa Margarita, Ca
Reply #23 - 02/15/12 at 10:42:48

AlphaBarney wrote on 02/14/12 at 15:50:05:
Thought about an older two-piece from a Savage, should bolt right on to the stock side tabs no?

Actually, the front does but not the back.  Don't want to threadjack so posting new thread about old seat mods to fit on new generation Savage.

Big Sur
  IP Logged
palehorseman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

highpoint nc
Reply #24 - 02/16/12 at 19:15:07

Ive made a few seats after buying this bike. Mine was a single but all the same. All the chain depow stores sell 10 9 7 6lb rated memory foam carpet underlayment which can be cut glued and layered to make one comfortable seat. 10 is the most dence and on down w the lb rating. Spray adheisive works best. It takes some time but if your not comfortable your not safe and its not fun. If you find yourself thinking about your butt instead of the road its time to do something. Rip it apart and do one of two things.1- use an electric carving knife, felet knife or heated element to remove as much foam from the stock pad as possible...saving the molded bottom that sits on the pan. Or 2- remove the pad completely and shape, widen and/or angle the existing pan with fiberglass...available for cheap w easy instructions at every auto depow. You will need to do multiple coats to build it up and cut it back when it cures. Following either option...start with a base layer of 10 lb, glueing on subsequent layers on your choice of density. Let dry, shape with your choice of tool. Wrap your seat with one last layer... this is the only one that wraps the edge...allowing your leather or whatever to keep a nice role over the edge of the fiberglass. Not necessary for a stock pan but it helps to widen the seat a bit. Now your sitting pretty. Best of luck.

Notes: expect some trile and error finding the right combinations of density, shaping the material, and stretching the cover. Sometimes it helps to use some strips in the front center to gat a shape. Look at old saddle pics or a 48 indian chief to get an idea about how the contours of a comfortable seat flow.

IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #25 - 04/26/12 at 15:52:11

This is mostly a "me too", but perhaps useful to members thinking about modifying their OEM saddles.

I spent a few hours yesterday reshaping my (one-piece) saddle per mmosel, using a coarse Scotch Brite scouring pad as he suggests. It was a little slow, I suppose, but easy work, and easy to see what & where progress was being made. When I was satisfied with the reshaping part, I cut a piece of 3/8" carpet padding to place under the stock foam, to regain some of the height lost to scouring. I'm still working out the extra padding part - thinking about carving up a retired mouse pad to place under the stock foam behind the back part to push me forward. Passenger portion was left untouched.

But a fifty-mile ride yesterday afternoon confirmed a VAST improvement in comfort. Like most, I had no experience in doing this kind of thing, but it was very easy and even more effective than the seat lift mod I'd done previously. Laughably cost-effective and neophyte-friendly. mmosel is absolutely correct that getting some curve into the back of the seat is key, but reshaping the bottom as he did also contributes a lot.

I re-attached the cover using duct tape, which will be replaced with Gorilla tape (thanks gerald.hughes!) when I'm satisfied with the padding. BTW, it isn't necessary to completely remove the cover to do this mod; I left the staples in place at the rear of the passenger portion in order to ease reinstallation of the cover & keep things in alignment.

'Though I'm just a shade over 5'7", I'd still like to find a way to increase my personal ride height. A low saddle, with feet relatively forward, places too much weight on one's butt. Still, this mod produces a striking  improvement in comfort and I enthusiastically recommend it.

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Scott McCrory

Thumper newbie

Columbus Ohio USA
Reply #26 - 04/26/12 at 18:58:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/10/11 at 15:39:48:
A real Game Changer for me was when I strapped a bag on the back seat that gave me a place to lean my back side against.

I've noticed the same thing!

2006 Suzuki S40 Boulevard
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #27 - 04/26/12 at 19:04:08

If you have one of those Surform..."cheese grater " type wood files,... they work foam pretty good...
...(messy though,.. do it outside)...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 04/30/12 at 07:21:15

I've got a used seat from my 06 S40 that has 806 miles on it before I swapped it for a Corbin.  If anyone needs it, let me know.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:22:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Well, I'm chopping my stock seat up...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.