Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Well, I'm chopping my stock seat up... (Read 630 times)
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Well, I'm chopping my stock seat up...
09/07/11 at 20:27:04

Ok, I've broken down and started chopping my seat. It is a stock single piece seat from an 05. I've already started shaping the foam a bit to curve it more in the back part of the seat. But I need to raise it up.

I'm trying to decide if I should keep it one piece, or chop the rear bit off, which I could make into it's own rear seat that is removable. I'm already going to have to mod the seat pan on the sides, since I'm lifting up the foam from underneath. It may be possible to salvage the seat cover, but only if I keep it a single piece, and trim down the seat pan.

Why am I posting this? Not sure. I guess to see if anyone has any experience as to why I should or shouldn't chop it into two pieces. ( besides the fact that I'm gonna have to make a new cover for it. Oh and deal with the electrical stuff on the fender. Not sure where the rectifier will go.)

Any thoughts? Seats really turn out to be very personal things after all, since we are all shaped and weighted differently.

I'm sratchin' my head trying to get it right the first time around.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Well, I'm chopping my stock seat up...
Reply #1 - 09/07/11 at 21:06:05

I wouldnt cut my seat in 2, unless I had a spare one.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #2 - 09/07/11 at 21:27:36

Well, I can always get a replacement from here or from ebay.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 09/07/11 at 22:00:28

Wel,, then its your baby,, Good luck,, I dont think the seat pan is built right for cutting it in 2 &  it working out  to recover nicely,, I guess youve looked at it, decided where to cut & how youll recover it? Is there sufficient strength across the back edge after its cut? The point Im trying to make is, when a piece of plastic is formed, its designed to handle loads, change the shape by cutting it, then the edge may not have the right reinforcement to handle to job..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #4 - 09/08/11 at 07:18:40

My first thought is to buy an older seat from an '04 or older that are already two pieces and see if you can make that work. This way if it does not turn out as well as you thought then you can go back to the original. Would be cheaper to buy an older one first rather than a newer one later.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #5 - 09/08/11 at 15:08:41

I thought about buying an older two piece seat. Not sure how they mount though, and I'm not sure what the stock foam looks like - or what its quality is compared to the foam I currently have to work with.

I took some pics to show what I've done so far. Once they are transferred from my phone, I'll upload them.

In my opinion, here is the flaw in the original seat. First, the back of the seat is flat, even convex a little. There is a flat ridge where it meets the rear seat. This design creates a hot spot right in the back of your rear, and right on your tailbone. Second, the flat part of the seat is also a bit convex, so it doesn't cradle you at all, it's more of a hump you're sitting on.

Basically, I ended up taking this rough scowering pad that I had in my tool area, and I started shaping the seat. I also used a round sanding disk in my drill, but controlling it was difficult at best ( although for some edges, it works quickly ) The hand scouring pad gives precise control over where you want to shape the foam. In the back I removed the edge where it meets the rear, and I've also curved it in a concave fashion. I took out a little foam where the tailbone area lands. I also started reshaping the flat part of the seat to make it just a tad bit concave, so it will cradle a little bit. So far in my testing, it feels way more comfy. I'm going to lift up the foam from underneath. I'm using this black dense rubber foam that was part of an exercise mat. I may also cut out a place for this same foam on top, because it is way more comfortable. It's has a more gel like consistency.

I've cut the rear foam off, but I did it carefully and I may reattach it. Not sure yet if I want to make it a two piece, although I think it could work.

Pics to come...

IP Logged
rik
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/08/11 at 15:32:59

excited to see the pics, and anyone else's who have modded the 1 piece seat.. I have an '07 so it should be about the same!

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #7 - 09/08/11 at 15:47:44

I trimmed some of the foam and recovered it. The shape was alot more comfortable but i took off too much foam. Decided to go with a sportster seat which was better than the stock seat but not too much better. Then I got a corbin seat and I can stop looking. I can ride all day on that thing. Here's pics of the trimmed stock seat.
AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #8 - 09/08/11 at 16:18:34

Here you can see how I've cut the front off. But mostly you can see how I've shaped the rear part of the foam. As mentioned in my above post...

Here's the tool that is working well for me:

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #9 - 09/08/11 at 18:42:07

Update. I put the seat back together temporarily, as a one piece, so I could take a test ride.

I put some of the black foam underneath the seat foam, and I put one piece on top. I'd say I lifted myself up at least an inch, and I gave myself about an extra inch or in the back. I'd have to say the first test ride was a complete success. Much more cushy and the curve in the back totally relieves that pressure on my rear and tailbone. ( I can't really know without driving those 120 miles again, but I can get a sense of the comfort level )

I'm not sure yet if I'll stay one piece for go for two. Also not sure if I'll inset the top black foam into the original foam. That would lower me back down some. I'm not sure which would be better for my back - sitting up higher or lower.

I'll post more pics as I take it back apart. That'll show what's going on underneath the stock foam.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #10 - 09/09/11 at 14:57:17

Here's how it looked for my test ride. The extra pad on top is temporary. Was there to test height & softness. You can see how the rear bit is more curved, which made a huge difference. The overall shock absorption was definitely improved. I'll post more pictures when I tear it back down.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/10/11 at 11:14:55

I am glad you are posting these pictures because I have been thinking about modifying my seat.  I want a different form than you are making but the technique of reshaping a seat is the same.  Your statement about it absorbing more impact than the stock seat makes this mod especially interesting.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #12 - 09/10/11 at 14:52:13

I'm still working on the shape a bit, but the main thing to get the rear curved rather than straight is totally key. If you look at a stock one piece seat, you notice that the rear of the front seat is perfectly flat! That is what causes some serious pain on the tail bone, especially for me being 6'. I'm not sure on the height just jet, but it's close.

I have more pics to come...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 09/10/11 at 15:39:48

A real Game Changer for me was when I strapped a bag on the back seat that gave me a place to lean my back side against.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 09/10/11 at 18:21:01

The width on a seat makes a lot of difference if you could get it wider than you have it I think it would be better.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:13:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Well, I'm chopping my stock seat up...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.