Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I think I fried something (Read 221 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: I think I fried something
Reply #15 - 09/07/11 at 19:45:26

Take your "fully charged" battery to Advance and get it load tested -- bet it fails.

Or, if that is too much trouble then hook your "fully charged" battery up to your bike and see if it will crank anything -- then immediately check the voltage and report what it dropped down to.    

(you load tested it, Savage style)

Gel cells are funny -- you are showing a most excellent surface charge that reflects your battery charger is over charging the shite out of the gel cell battery.  

What sort of charger do you have, anyway?   You are saying "charger/maintainer" Battery Tenders (maintainers) are no good for charging a dead battery, you can kill them trying to do that.

==============

You did remember to disconnect the battery charger before taking those readings, right?   We are looking for the resting charge state of the battery, not the output of the charging system.

For example, if you had just taken the charger terminals off you could get a very high surface charge voltage that actually reflects the output of the charger -- let it sit overnight and test it and you find a much lower "resting charge state" that reflects what is internal to the battery.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 09/09/11 at 05:16:58

Interesting... I think you need a new battery. I have a theory explaining 16volts on terminals, but it doesn't really matter. Hook up a light bulb on the bat now, or anything, I bet it'll drop back to zero in 10 secs.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 09/09/11 at 05:18:01

Oldfeller, it seems we think the same way  Wink

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #18 - 09/09/11 at 05:37:41

genejohnson wrote on 09/07/11 at 18:41:44:
Even more confusion now! Charger shut off without showing that the battery was charged. Checked voltage on battery - 16-17 volts and the voltmeter probe wires were very hot to the touch. The charger is only supposed to put out 13-1/2 -14 volts. What gives?

I mite need help deciphering this one.

I know that a defective battery can throw a charging system voltage into hi ranges.....like 15-16 volts. I have had that happen a few times in my career.

When testing batt voltage w/ a handheld voltmeter, there is no reason for the leads to get even warm, even at any voltage w/ in the scale, unless the meter was on the "amp scale" instead of the volt scale. But then it would blow the internal fuse, or smoke the leads.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:23:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I think I fried something

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.