Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I think I fried something (Read 221 times)
genejohnson

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

I think I fried something
09/06/11 at 14:58:24

Got insurance and tags today. Was ready to ride. Gel battery was dead from sitting so long so tried to hot shot it. It will run as long as the jumper cables are hooked up but stops running when you remove them. It was running fine a couple of weeks ago. Could I have shorted out something with the jumper cables? Where and how should I start to find the trouble?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: I think I fried something
Reply #1 - 09/06/11 at 15:06:20

Start simple, take a volt ohm meter and check the battery for resting voltage.    If less than 12 volts after resting overnight on the bench after being fully slow charged then look no further until you have a new battery in place.

Or, carry it to Advanced Auto and get the battery stress tested.   Free, if they think you might buy a battery from them.   Slow charge it first, of course.

The fact your bike runs while attached to a good battery (the big one) and dies instantly when you unhook it mebbe might indicate you have a internally shorted or "totally dead" motorcycle battery.

We are not familiar with folks killing anything about the bike if they jump start it.   Jump starts happen all the time.

Your term "hot shot" is unfamiliar -- you mean jump starting with a car battery and jumper cables, right?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
genejohnson

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/06/11 at 15:11:07

Right oldfeller, Could shorting the cables fry a Reg/Rect Stator?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 09/06/11 at 15:29:17

Shorting which cables?  How, exactly?   Try telling us exactly what you did and you might get a more exact answer.

-------------------------------

Your stator to reg/rec condition isn't going to make your bike die when you unhook the jumper cables .....

.... unless you were trying to jump start a TOTALLY DEAD COMPLETELY UNCHARGED BATTERY in which case the behavior is perfectly normal.   Dead doesn't jump back to life -- it requires slow coaxing like 12-24 hours on a half amp charger.   Passing a BIG jump start voltage and current through a totally dead battery is like using it like a chunk of copper wire, the current just flows through it not changing anything very much.

------------------------------

What kind of bike battery charger do you own?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
genejohnson

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/06/11 at 15:38:47

Wouldn"t it keep running off the alternator? I was refering to shorting the hot lead of the jumper cables to ground/frame. My thought was if the Reg/Rect was fried maybe this was the reason the alternator wasnt keeping it running.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 09/06/11 at 16:22:53

I too would think it would run off the nator, even w/o a battery, but I don't know. But you could check the charging voltage while it is running off the jumpers,......it should show a charging voltage of 13+ volts, 14+ if the batteries were full charged.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
genejohnson

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/06/11 at 17:41:35

Does the alternator have to have voltage from the battery to operate? I think it is called excited field? I don't have any way of checking anything till tomorrow. Just trying to think of all the possibilities.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 09/06/11 at 17:43:02

permanent magnet, so no it doesn't.

but you need 10v to create a spark.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 09/06/11 at 19:25:48

Exactly what Verslagen said, you need at least 10 volts to get the black box to even fire the plug -- and what is totally "wrong seeming" is the starter will turn the engine over very slowly at 9 volts so you might think you are gunting & cranking .... but you ain't got any spark plug sparking going on.

However,  .....     Undecided

You are not even reaching that level -- you pull the jumpers off and it instantly totally dies, so your battery sounds like it isn't even supporting 9-10 volts of output.

And no, whapping the frame with the positive jumper cable makes a hell of a spark and a dead short through the steel of the frame and it might do something bad to your car's electronics due to the strain, but it would have zero effect on the motorcycle as the motorcycle electrics doesn't see that current flow at all.   Neg is attached to frame and Pos touched the frame and the frame really doesn't care, it's just a piece of steel.

Second time asked, what sort of charger do you have to charge your motorcycle with?  

If your charger output is higher than 2 amps, you may also have a kill battery issue due to that charge rate as jell packs don't like heavy charging rates for very long periods of time.

New question, do you own a volt/ohm meter?   If not, drop by Harbor Freight and pick one up for $4 and check the output voltage of your battery and tell us what it says.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 09/07/11 at 07:17:22

Question still remains,....will our bikes run off the charging voltage,....deciphered as,....will it run w/ a very dead battery once it is jumped started from a good battery, and providing the charging system is charging normally ?
I would say if quits running when the jumpers are removed, the charging is no good.

Test equip everyone should have,....
1  a 12v test lite
2  a hand held volt meter
3  a battery load tester
and in that order.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 09/07/11 at 07:30:50

Answered already by both Verslagen and me.

When you unhook those cables, if the little battery offers less than 10 volts on its own the show simply stops.   CDI unit won't fire, show's over.

Let me be blunt -- we have a charging system that can't even handle a set of fog lights or a heated jacket without letting the battery slowly drift down.     You know that already.

It "can" charge a discharged battery (if the battery is starting out offering over 10 volts to begin with and it can keep the bike's ignition system running) but it would take for feekin' ever to do so on a weak old battery and you never run the bike that long in town.  

Actually, the battery's cell health determines how much of a good reg/rectifier's output would go to charging the battery and how high the "struggle voltage" would be when you take the big jumper cables off.  A dead cell, mebbe she could make it -- 2 dead cells no way Hosea (each cell is worth a volt and a half so two cells out puts you below 10 volts)

If you got any form of battery charge issue, SLOW CHARGE IT UP  -- set up a pigtail to get to the positive connection (you will need it periodically) and don't try to troubleshoot anything electrical unless the battery is fully charged.

(or you will be chasing butterflies and moonbeams all over the place)

Actually, you can live a very full life simply equipped with a $4 Harbor Freight volt/ohm meter -- Advance Auto will do all the esoteric tests for you for free if you indicate an interest in mebbe buying a battery from them.  

Know enough to interpret the results yourself as the  freshly hired clerks look at the load tester and always say "Yup, you need a new battery".

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 09/07/11 at 07:32:09

Ya need to find someone with a dead battery, not one with a bad cell, but one that won't hold a charge overnight.  Then you'll know.

My battery was discharged this tuesday morning after sitting 3 days, must've left the tail light on, we'll see.  But I used the charger to spin the starter not touching it to the battery.  So I went to work and when I came home, it started normally.  When I got home I put on the trickle charger, the green light said it was fully charged.

I would think that as long as the battery wasn't shorted more that a few cells, that the charging system will keep the voltage up over 10v.  Put your blinkers on and if it starts backfiring in time with the signal, you got problems.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
genejohnson

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/07/11 at 13:53:21

Checked battery voltage! It was zero. Just put it on a 1 1/2 amp charger/maintainer. The charger says it is charging. The battery has 190 cca but I don't know what the amp/hrs are, just have to see how the charging goes. All I can figure is that the positive battery lead could have been shorted on the battery box for awhile for it to be totally discharged. Thanks everyone for the help. I was really frustrated!

IP Logged
genejohnson

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/07/11 at 18:41:44

Even more confusion now! Charger shut off without showing that the battery was charged. Checked voltage on battery - 16-17 volts and the voltmeter probe wires were very hot to the touch. The charger is only supposed to put out 13-1/2 -14 volts. What gives?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 09/07/11 at 18:59:25

You think You fried sumthin,, Routy got against the pipe & he was wearin shorts!

Awwww, poor Baaaybee..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:28:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I think I fried something

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.