Send Topic Print
PItted Aluminum (Read 233 times)
VOLKY
YaBB Newbies

2006 S-40 Boulevard

Florida
PItted Aluminum
09/06/11 at 12:36:31

I bought a used 2006 and the engine side covers are corroded (pitted). Is there anyway to get them smooth and shinned? or snaded them down and paint them. Any suggestions?

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: PItted Aluminum
Reply #1 - 09/06/11 at 12:52:49

The problem is, the cases are covered with a clearcoat. And the clearcoat gets corroded/pitted causing corrosion. Some members have been able to use a chemical agent to dissolve much of the clearcoat and clean them up that way. Others have taken to the sanding route as well. As said other places, there's more than 1 way to skin a cat  Grin

I've never stripped my cases  Shocked but I'm sure one of the other members who have will be willing to share the details.

Here's a good read on polishing aluminum http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1298262515

BTW, did you get your petcock/vacuum issue resolved?

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
VOLKY
YaBB Newbies

2006 S-40 Boulevard

Florida
Reply #2 - 09/06/11 at 12:58:40

EJID: the shop is looking at the petcock issued and at the same time they are installing a new rear tire. I will keep you posted.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 09/06/11 at 13:13:34

Yeah, like that shop understands what they are looking at.

You just bought yerself another $80 stock vac petcock ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 09/06/11 at 16:36:40

I started down the pitted aluminum road, untill I learned about fighting the heavy clearcoat. All of the sudden, I don't see those few pitted spots anymore Shocked

OF, quit tryin to start a petcock war  : Cool

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
phantom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/06/11 at 17:05:15

I've been down the pitted road. My eng. is black except for the side covers. I removed the covers and inspected the inside, then removed the clear coat with paste paint remover. I then started with 00 steel wool and a heavy grit polish which I bought at a hardware store. It took sometime but rewarding. Have Fun! Phantom.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/06/11 at 17:49:39

I helped polish a bell housing when I wa a kid,, wet sanding is not too bad, but some kinda wheel on a dril would just hafta be better.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kernel ken
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Loveland Ohio
Reply #7 - 09/07/11 at 08:37:30

My engine cases were a real mess. Very corroded. I stripped the clear coat off using a spray type I got at Home Depot. Also tried the paste type. It all worked pretty well.

After all clear coat was removed I sanded the pitted surfaces. I started with 1000 grit then went to 1500 and finally 2000. It takes a while to do it this way but it leaves a nice smooth surface. I put the cases on the buffing wheel as the finishing step.

I sprayed them with clear coat (also from Home Depot) to keep the shine. I've read here that some people don't put anything on them after the polish step. When they get a little dull they Wink just polish them.

BTW, don't try to speed up the job by using a corse sandpaper to start off with. It'll take much more work to polish out the deep scratches ... trust me on this one.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #8 - 09/07/11 at 12:23:29

I got Rustoleum Clear Coat Stripper at AutoZone. It's not as noxious as aircraft stripper and it works great. Spray on, wait a few minutes for the clear coat to bubble up, wipe it off. Repeat for the places you missed.

That's the easy part. The sanding is tedious and messy. And you discover a lot of spots Suzuki cut corners on surface finishing. I did every bright aluminum part on my bike, but it's what I wanted.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #9 - 09/08/11 at 03:14:01

Wow nice pics.

I'm gonna have to do this sometime. My cases are starting to show weathering. The clear coat seems to be a bit of a pita. I'm not sure I'd bother putting another clear coat on them, if I polished them all up.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #10 - 09/08/11 at 04:40:53

Well I polished my clutch cover for the same reason, crappy clear coat.
Thing is, you have to protect it with car wax and watch that if it gets wet to wipe it dry as soon as possible. If you leave it wet for a few hours or so,it will already start pitting again. Then you have to polish again.
Other than that, with car wax on it it will stay nice looking for a long time. I redid mine several months ago, and it still looks the same.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #11 - 09/08/11 at 04:41:26

Bare polished aluminum will start to lose its shine after a while and need to gone over with polish again. That's not a problem with easily accessible parts like engine covers and fork bottoms. Wheel hubs are a different matter.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #12 - 09/08/11 at 07:24:11

I am currently polishing as much aluminum as I can get to on my bike. I know that clear coating is one option but I also remember someone posting a link to a polish that also seals or something. Maybe Zimol. Anyone?

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #13 - 09/08/11 at 07:40:46

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #14 - 09/08/11 at 09:18:59

splash07 wrote on 09/08/11 at 07:40:46:

It looks like Zoops is out of business. I got frustrated with crappy site linked above, so I did a fresh search for ZoopSeal. I found this:

Zoop no more

A link in that forum post leads to ShineSeal, which sounds like it does the same thing.
http://www.shineseal.com/

« Last Edit: 09/17/11 at 19:44:11 by verslagen1 »  

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:18:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › PItted Aluminum

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!