months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Texas Burning
09/05/11 at 20:03:54

Fire damage escalates as night falls
Evacuations in Leander; Bastrop still burning

Updated: Monday, 05 Sep 2011, 9:22 PM CDT

AUSTIN (KXAN) - All across the Greater Austin area on Monday, officials and residents were coming to grips with the magnitude of damage inflicted by the series wind-fueled wildfires that destroyed more than 500 homes and charred about 25,000 acres.

To all our SS friends in Texas:

These fires are awful. Please be safe. Our thoughts are with you throughout this horrible event.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Texas Burning
Reply #1 - 09/05/11 at 21:02:46

Yeah, we've been living in a tinder box for a couple of months now.  I am surprised fires haven't been worse, considering the drought.  Every mile or two down I-35 there's a little charred spot from a grass fire, they are very common around here and easily contained until the wind kicks up like today.  We'll get a cool front and some rain soon though.. till then, burn bans are in effect and we are literally not playing with fire.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #2 - 09/05/11 at 21:50:50

Their are a couple fires that have gotten started
near here as well. It is so dry and our temps
have finally decided to get possibly to 90
by Thursday.
For all of you in Texas, I do hope your able to
avoid any devestation from the fires. kim

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #3 - 09/06/11 at 14:12:24

There's some pretty good ones going down in the Mt. Hood area around here too. Friday the wind kicked up out of the east, and the whole south end of the Portland area was covered in smoke; nothing but a haze over the town as I was driving to work that afternoon, and you could smell it, even inside the plant. Tongue

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/06/11 at 15:43:21

news just said we've lot in excess of 1,000 homes,, its smoky around here, fires to the east are closest, a few miles,, maybe 5,, yesterday there was a pretty good sized on about 2 miles away, every time I wake up at night I go out & look,, east tx is on fire,, but nothing like what theyre fighting around Austin

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #5 - 09/06/11 at 18:31:13

Ya we got one in the Olympic National Forest. It is smokey
all around that area. So far the smoke has not drifted our
way. Also so far no homes are being threatened.

I do hope they get a handle on the ones in Texas. kim

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #6 - 09/07/11 at 00:58:02

A quiet comment from the other side of the ocean.

How many times do you see people flicking their cigarette butts out the car window ?

We have serious issues with wildfires ourselves here in Italy, and they are often aggravated by the fact that some aeras are so rugged you can only fly bucketfuls of water with helicopters or specific airplanes - there's no way you can send trucks and the like .

These days being caught flicking a cigarette butt during some periods of the year, in some parts of the Country, is not considered as "littering" any more - and there's little chance any LEO will chase you for a cigarette butt...

...these days it's considered ATTEMPTED ARSON and they will break all H3LL loose to chase you and convict you for it.

Do you have similar orientation ?

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/07/11 at 02:14:05

.these days it's considered ATTEMPTED ARSON and they will break all H3LL loose to chase you and convict you for it.

Do you have similar orientation ?

There are suggestions made on the news that should you see someone lick a butt out, you should call the cops,, Id get a plate # & go back to see if it started a fire. Hopefully I could stomp it out before it got going good.

Pulling a car off th road, into the grass, can be a real bad idea. Catalytics get hot enough to light the grass,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #8 - 09/07/11 at 19:53:13

Such stupidity. Don't they still put ashtrays in cars? If not one could get one of those beanbag ashtrays you put on the dash.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #9 - 09/08/11 at 07:41:25

There's a strong string  Huh        of opinion makers who claim if it's dangerous to use a cellphone at the wheel,
it's even more dangerous to smoke at the wheel, so no smoking at the wheel.

(well, you ARE playing with fire...)

Point is, at least 50% of the population would go with it, but not the 50% of Congressmen tipped by the Tobacco Lobbies...  Tongue

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
txsizzler
YaBB Newbies

Its a real THUMP in
the pants!

Portland/Corpus Christi, TX.
Reply #10 - 09/08/11 at 09:28:01

Down here in the Corpus Christi area, we have had several days of "smoke" due to the fires up in the Bastrop areas. Been giving me alot of sinus issues, like headaches. My daughter, who has asthma, has had to stay inside during the smokier days (which has been nearly every day), and cannot play outside at recess at school.

Ian

"Life is like a bath; the longer you stay in it, the more wrinkled you get!" -Garfield
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:13:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › Texas Burning

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.