Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuel tank and the manual... (Read 160 times)
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Fuel tank and the manual...
09/03/11 at 16:14:56

Okay.. to change the spark plug the manual says take off the screws to the fuel tank then slide it off.. I think they forgot to mention a few steps..

All I want to do is put in NGK (2202) DPR8EIX-9 Iridium IX Spark Plug and I suddenly realize I have to disconnect a bunch of cables and go into the engine... and the petcock..... this is my first bike... doing this myself could lead to disaster...

Unscrew the screws, lift and slide off the tank! It's that easy!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: Fuel tank and the manual...
Reply #1 - 09/03/11 at 16:25:59

You also have to remove the speedo cable down @ the transmission and if you are pulling the tank completely don't forget to unplug the electronics behind the speedometer and unhook the fuel line and vac line.

When putting it back together be careful to make sure you get the rubber nubs on the sides of the tank lined up so the tank doesn't slide around more than before.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/03/11 at 16:27:33

Unless the petcock hangs up under the frame,, then ya gotta shove the rear of the tank over some to get it to clear,, some even say they have to pull the petcock ( Drain the tank First),,
Look into th Spark plug door mod while youre in there.
BLOW the dirt & crap out of the recess the plug sits in b4 you pull it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/03/11 at 16:33:24

don't expect it to jump up and say howdydo.

have a big flat blade screwdriver handy, sometimes it's a bear to get the connector for the speedo off.

1. unscrew the speedo cable (by the clutch)
2. pull the vac line off the carb.
3. pull the gas line off.
4. remove the seat
5. remove the rear tank bolts and seat support.
6. stand on left side, lift the rear of the tank and pull towards you.  the petcock has to clear the frame.
7. once the rear is up, place one hand at the rear and one hand at the front, slide the tank back till a wiring harnass is exposed.
8. pull the connector off.  you can set the tank on the frame, lean against it to stabilize it while you're working the connector.
9. set the tank on a clean level surface off to the side where you won't trip over it.

WWW   IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #4 - 09/03/11 at 16:52:06

Thanks everyone, Verslagan1 you broke it down pretty good... I'm definitely draining the tank and taking it completely off.

I hope I don't get stuck..  Cheesy

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #5 - 09/03/11 at 16:56:27

I didn't have to drain the tank.

I did, however, scratch my frame up a bit with the petc0ck issue. Next time I take it off I plan on wrapping that area with some vinyl or something. Even after removing it three times, I still don't have the magic puzzle mastered. It would be nice to master it completely, but it is tricky!

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #6 - 09/03/11 at 17:11:04

mmosel wrote on 09/03/11 at 16:56:27:
Next time I take it off I plan on wrapping that area with some vinyl or something.

That's what I'm trying to figure out now, what to use to cover the petcock... my tank is completely full though  Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/03/11 at 18:47:46

If it scratches it a bit, its not the end O the wurld, ya know,, Shove the tank sideways,, put masking tape on the frame, a few layers thick,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #8 - 09/03/11 at 18:59:27

Nah, the scratches aren't visible under the tank. No biggie, but if I can prevent more scratching, that's a good thing. Only concern about the deep scratches is the potential for rust.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #9 - 09/03/11 at 20:33:26

Finished! New iridium sparky is in.. I didn't scratch the frame cause I loosed the petcock... however, I see the mechanics at the Suzuki shop scratched it when they did some carb work  Grin

For Verslagen1, I followed rule .9

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #10 - 09/03/11 at 21:28:51

Not calling you out on this, but if you work with gas in an enclosed space (garage) with a gas water heater or anything that makes a spark, be careful. A cup of gas, when evaporated and ignited, is like two sticks of dynamite, I'm told. I was at a marina once when a nice boat caught fire just after fueling. A beautiful young lady was standing in some water near the shore with the skin peeling away from her legs. She wouldn't come out, because she hurt so bad if she wasn't immersed in that dirty water. Be careful, boys and girls.  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 09/04/11 at 09:30:20

Quote:
Unscrew the screws, lift and slide off the tank! It's that easy!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
W/ no question mark, I took this to mean that you had already done it, and that it really was that easy,.......so then I was going to accuse you of having bad hulustinations ! Glad it was cleared up Shocked  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #12 - 09/04/11 at 09:42:43

Routy wrote on 09/04/11 at 09:30:20:
Quote:
Unscrew the screws, lift and slide off the tank! It's that easy!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
W/ no question mark, I took this to mean that you had already done it, and that it really was that easy,.......so then I was going to accuse you of having bad hulustinations ! Glad it was cleared up Shocked  

I was being sarcastic, but I actually replaced the spark plug last night.. I wasn't sure what all I needed to disconnect and what not.. you guys all cleared it up and I found that just loosening the petcock so that its hanging pretty loose (after you've completely drained the tank) makes it a smooth remove, with no scratches. I have a 2005 so I'm not sure about other year models.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #13 - 06/26/12 at 21:40:09

While I realize that there are differences from bike to bike, I've never had to remove the tank from mine (see signature) to get to the spark plug.....even when I still had the OEM petcock on there.

Here's what I do:

1.  Remove the seat.

2.  Remove the two bolts from the rear of the fuel tank.

3.  Remove all lines (fuel and vacuum (if you still have one)) from the petcock.

4.  Move the fuel tank back a bit, then prop up the rear of the tank with a short section of 4" X 4".  This will keep the tank out of your way.

5.  Remove the left chrome beauty cover.

6. Slap a wobble adapter on your 3/8" drive ratchet.  Pop an 18mm deep-well socket on the adapter and you've now got access to the spark plug.

Note that I do not have to disconnect the speedo cable or the electrical connector.

IHTH!

« Last Edit: 07/30/12 at 20:44:16 by Digger »  

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:26:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel tank and the manual...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.