Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm gonna need a new seat of some sort... (Read 157 times)
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
I'm gonna need a new seat of some sort...
09/02/11 at 21:24:30

Well, I got back from a 120+ mile trip today. Good news is that my bike is running incredibly well. I went through hot and cool, high and low areas, not a single backfire. Power is there, very strong running.

Bad news is that my arse ( mostly tailbone ) was killing me big time in the last 30 minutes or so. I stopped to rest, but I couldn't rest long enough. This was the first time I felt very unhappy about the seat, which is a stock seat on an '05. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet, but I might have to either fit some other bike's seat on there or mod the stock one to add padding and maybe lift up the seating position more aggressively. I also felt a bit cramped and I wanted to move back a bit, but couldn't comfortably.

I was thinking of bobbing out my bike at some point, but I figure if I went that route, riding those kind of miles would be far more uncomfortable. Those of you with bobbers, what's the longest you can ride and still be comfortable? Most springer seats don't have much padding. Maybe the springs give enough extra cushion, I don't know.

If I can find a more comfortable seating arrangement, I'd be a lot happier on longer trips.

Maybe someday I'll be able to get two bikes...

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Re: I'm gonna need a new seat of some sort...
Reply #1 - 09/02/11 at 21:36:11

After my 110 mile ride to Laconia I had to do something before I could ride home.  I found a vendor selling gel/foam/sheepskin pads and bought one.  It was worth it.  The trip home was much more comfortable and I could've ridden even further.  It goes on and off quickly so I don't use it unless I'm heading out for a long drive.  You can see it in this pic from the Laconia return trip.  

It raises me up at least an inch for more leg comfort too.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #2 - 09/02/11 at 22:28:28

Cool Jef, was this a bike specific product? Looks like it. What do you mean vendor, did you find a local bike shop or ?

Something that I could use only for long trips might do the trick, at least for now.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #3 - 09/03/11 at 03:50:23

Is anyone aware of anyone who has put on an old school type bike seat, like a honda cb style or something, on a Savage?

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #4 - 09/03/11 at 06:29:56

Sportster seat conversion.There's everything from a bare bones solo to a cushy touring saddle available.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/03/11 at 13:50:58

I like the old style seats best, the ones from the 60s and 70s.  You could slide back and stretch you legs when you wanted.   Plus some of them had a little storage underneath.  I can't understand why they got away from that design.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #6 - 09/03/11 at 15:35:17

I was at Laconia during bike week.  There are hundreds of vendors with booths all over the place.  I found a vendor at the main location across from Weir's Beach.  No it's not bike specific.  It's much like this:
http://www.amspecialtiesusa.com/gelpad.htm
I think he was asking $100 and I got it for $90.  It's worth it.  I wouldn't go any smaller than a large.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #7 - 09/03/11 at 16:48:52

Yeah I don't think a sportster seat will give me more room. I would prob need forward controls, but I'd rather be able to slide back when I need to instead. That's not gonna happen on a stock seat or a sportster seat. It almost looks like a sportster conversion would give you less leg room.

The gel pads look like they could help the situation, so that's one way to go. But I might end up making some sort of custom solution, I'm going to have to experiment over time.

IP Logged
AZSGT

2006 Bobber

Mesa, AZ
Reply #8 - 09/03/11 at 16:55:53

I have a bobber and 1 hour is MAX before you really start to hate it. hour and a half and it is break time.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #9 - 09/03/11 at 20:09:32

This site is pretty cool:
http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/pics.htm

Gives a lot of tips on how to customize your own seat.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:19:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I'm gonna need a new seat of some sort...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.