2up = better MPG?! (Read 123 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
2up = better MPG?!
09/01/11 at 13:40:50

So, the wife decided she wanted to go on a "date" night last weekend on the bike. She usually doesn't ride with me, but is always welcome. Grin We ended up cruising up and around on some of the mountain/canyon roads for a total of about 60-65 miles. Quite enjoyable evening ride even though it started to get a bit chilly around midnight.  Roll Eyes

Parked the bike for the last few days because of too many other things going on, finally gassed it up today and figured I got 44MPG on that tank. Most of you wouldn't be exactly happy with that number, but the whole summer I only averaged around 40MPG doing my short commutes back and forth to / from work.

The 40MPG average is also after I switched to a cone filter, 36" Fishtail Muff (only minor baffling), and rejetting to 147.5/55 [might still be a bit off on my jetting]

Just thought I would share...now I wonder what sort of numbers I could get if I ease up on the right hand and cruise for a longer distance by myself  Cheesy

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: 2up = better MPG?!
Reply #1 - 09/01/11 at 16:47:05

i ride alot different when haulin arse also...
she doesnt like the twisties,even the 25mph ones Sad

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 09/01/11 at 19:53:23

I got 60 on a near stock Savage during a Relay for Life Ride last summer.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/01/11 at 22:32:11

... all in the wrist... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/01/11 at 23:03:54

Taking off gently sp as to not make the passenger lurh backwards, easing off the g real nice, so helmets dont clash,, slowing down waaay on back there,, it adds up to better MPG.
all in the wrist, as someone said.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #5 - 09/02/11 at 21:18:17

EJID

I'm running a 147.5 / 55 jets too.     usually get about 52-56 mpg.    Could it be your Plug is too Cold ?    OR    What about Float level  ,  if your dumping gas in that fast it allmost has to be the float --- and does ridding double change the angle of the gas in the bowl ?   It pivits from the rear of the carb.  

Just somethngs to ponder ?    

Undecided

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #6 - 09/03/11 at 19:01:30

I just Did a 3 hr ride with the wife on the back. Gas milage was about the same as without her. Definitely ride a lot easier when she is on. The gas milage was aplesant surprise

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 09/03/11 at 21:04:30

Skid Mark wrote on 09/03/11 at 19:01:30:
I just Did a 3 hr ride with the wife on the back. Gas milage was about the same as without her. Definitely ride a lot easier when she is on. The gas milage was aplesant surprise

Having a wife who understands why you ride is another benefit.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #8 - 09/04/11 at 09:07:10

It was one of those perfect days. Comfortable warm, not hot, sunny and no wind, a  perfect day for her 1st road trip on a bike.  
It only took her 4 years to get up the courage to go for a ride.Smiley

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 09/04/11 at 23:32:43

Okay, Mark,, heres the Big Question,,

Did you do a good job of showing her a good time? Wi it be 4 more years before she is wiling to ride again?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #10 - 09/06/11 at 08:07:07

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/04/11 at 23:32:43:
Okay, Mark,, heres the Big Question,,

Did you do a good job of showing her a good time? Wi it be 4 more years before she is wiling to ride again?

I agree, I've had the bike for 2yrs and this was the first time she had gone with me for more than a mile or two. Now she keeps asking when's the next time we can do a date night with the bike  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:16:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › 2up = better MPG?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.