Back to School... (Read 101 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Back to School...
09/01/11 at 12:54:00

Today was the 1st day of public school for local kiddos and I saw this guy taking his kid to school in style...

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Re: Back to School...
Reply #1 - 09/01/11 at 14:11:14

Wonder if it's a replica or a real Cobra?  A couple of the replicas I've seen in the last year or so look so genuine, I had to look twice or three times to determine that they were replicas.

Unlike most replicas, the Cobra replica owners aren't snubbed by the owners of the real thing nearly as much as are the owners of replicas of other classics.

Of course, with the real thing approaching $500K in value for one with a winning race record, there is a lot more justification for a replica than for replicas of lesser cars.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #2 - 09/01/11 at 22:03:54

Man, that's one lucky kid!
I always thought one of the replicas would almost be more fun than the real thing. At least you wouldn't be worrying about scratching the paint or something when you drove it.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/01/11 at 22:29:28

I just pee'd a little... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 09/02/11 at 00:07:55

I bet it's a replica. Not many originals on the street. A original runs between $250,000 and a cool $1,000,000. would not want to wreck it or have it stolen. A replica can be bought for $20,000 or so. Anyway thats what they were trying to sell them for at a local car show. Still nice!

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #5 - 09/02/11 at 08:11:45

20k for a replica sounds real attractive, what's under the hood though. The real thing goes to 60 in 3.6 I think. I remember this guy taped a $100 on the dashboard and told the passenger if he can grab it when he floors it it's his.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #6 - 09/02/11 at 08:39:57

Arnold -

I haven't researched the prices of replicas lately, but good ones a far in excess of $20K.  To build a kit replica from the best couple of manufacturers, and equip it with the proper powertrain will cost at least $50K, assuming that you want it to really replicate a Cobra, and not just look like one.  And that doesn't account for the value of your own time spent building it, and how you finish it with what paint and interior.

I saw the best replica I've ever seen at a roadside rest just a couple of months ago - chassis was steel tube, like a race car is built, with a composite body.  The guy even had an old, side oiler 427 engine in it.  It was so authentic that it didn't even have any sort of top, just like the race Cobras were built.

I guess you could find a "sorta" replica for $20K, probably just a body that you put on a stock chassis and powertrain.  At one time, when they were plentiful, people used Pinto chassis for the bottom end "replicas".  But they weren't replicas, just something that looked a little built like something else.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #7 - 09/02/11 at 08:49:58

Yea cause if I could get close to the real thing for 20k I am getting rid of my Mazda Smiley

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #8 - 09/02/11 at 21:25:15

Factory Five shows their kit starting at 13k.  
http://www.factoryfive.com/rdsterhome.html
So if you did your best to stay low buck and got a good deal on a wrecked Mustang donor you should be able to build one yourself in the 20k range.  You could build a really nice one for 30K and it would probably be worth more than you put into it when you finished.  I think that's fairly unusual for a project car.  They seem to go for 40-50k at auction.  
The frames are actually improved over the original.  Put the right drive train in it and it will outperform an original.  
I saw their 33 Hot Rod kit at a cruise night last year.  Very cool.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #9 - 09/02/11 at 21:33:41

Whether it is a replica or not, I wouldn't mind
riding in it or driving it..Smiley kim

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 10:18:13

General CategoryThe Cafe › Back to School...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.