Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Motorcycle Accident - EF Recovery? (Read 371 times)
Byrd0264
YaBB Newbies

Cruisin' ON my
Boulevard

Motorcycle Accident - EF Recovery?
08/31/11 at 08:49:57

Hey all,

So my fiance got in an accident back in June in Oak Harbor, WA.

A deer jumped out in front of him, he hit it, dumped the bike, etc.

We are now receiving notices from an agency called "EF Recovery" billing us $600-$800 dollars for cleanup of the spilled gas/oil (I'm sure just gas, don't think he lost any oil in the crash).

Our insurance agent said that it's not covered by our insurance because we had liability only on the bike, but also noted they've never heard such a thing.

Anybody have any experience with this company or have any advice? $600 dollars seems a bit extreme and we really can't afford to pay this. Right now we're playing the sit and wait game to see how aggressively they pursue this.

Thanks

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re:  Motorcycle Accident - EF Recovery?
Reply #1 - 08/31/11 at 09:04:46

I wouldn't do anything the gas would have evaporated pretty quick I would think.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/31/11 at 09:06:24

Tell them to bill the deer... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Byrd0264
YaBB Newbies

Cruisin' ON my
Boulevard

Reply #3 - 08/31/11 at 09:31:25

Serow - you laugh but I thought the same thing! The notice says "to the party at fault" and all I could think was "well he didn't try to hit the darned thing, it jumped in front of him!"

Oi, I really hope this goes away.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/31/11 at 10:10:36

Send a letter back, deny you owe anything, technically, a bill sent & not disputed becomes valid after a month,, Theres a way around it,, but Im not typin it,. respond to the bill,, deny you owe anything, send it return receipt requested,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/31/11 at 10:23:34

1st, I wouldn't sit on it, mainly cause it takes a long time to figure out anything and you don't want the explaination "I don't recall"
2nd, contact the cops to see if it's something they've ordered due to some new or local ordinance.
3rd, ask for a detailed invoice, when where who why, who ordered it cleaned up, who verified it was cleaned up.
4th, go out to the spot and take photo's, is there a spot in the road, deer carkass still laying there, excetera.

Who knows, might be a scam.
And you gotta love insurance, "no you're not covered... what is it?"

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/31/11 at 10:27:02

Byrd0264 wrote on 08/31/11 at 09:31:25:
Serow - you laugh but I thought the same thing! The notice says "to the party at fault" and all I could think was "well he didn't try to hit the darned thing, it jumped in front of him!"

Oi, I really hope this goes away.

Act of god comes to mind, send the bill to the local church.  For sure there was at least 1 old bidde praying that someone would shut that m/c up.

WWW   IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #7 - 08/31/11 at 11:10:20

I have heard of the power company charging for damage to power poles - the wife's ex husband totaled his truck DWI borad-sided the lite pole at the end of the street where he was going to turn - i couldn't really see any damage and they did not replace the pole but they charged him $600 for damage to the pole - insurance did pay that.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Byrd0264
YaBB Newbies

Cruisin' ON my
Boulevard

Reply #8 - 08/31/11 at 11:34:28

Vers - Yeah I prob should act... but I got nothing backing our side of things

Accident happened 2.5 months ago out in Washington... I'm in Illinois.

*shrug*

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 08/31/11 at 12:54:18

You might also try some internet searches on the company and anything else related to it that you can think of.  Phone number on the bill, their address.  Does it look like they have accurate details?  As far as date of accident, whereabouts, etc.  Strange that your insurance company never heard of it, too.  So be cautious, but string them along long enough to find out if its legit.  

Wonder if a cop from the scene might know anything??  Or the city office where the accident happened?  Just throwing out thoughts....  

Oh, and on a side-note, like werace's comment of power pole damage, a friend recently told me about another friend who's dog had gotten hit by a vehicle.  The vehicle owner made the friend pay for damage to the car!  Homeowner's insurance covered it.  But its the owner's fault for the dog being out of the yard.  Seems strange, your animal gets hit and you have to pay for the damage, huh.   

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #10 - 08/31/11 at 13:06:42

This might be legit... Undecided   Found this when I googled "EF Recovery".

https://www.efrecovery.com/aboutus.aspx

I would still do some investigation to verify though!  Wink

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #11 - 08/31/11 at 13:14:32

This might be your out, right off their website:

"In the news:
Even Fox News agrees that fire departments should bill for spill clean up at accident sites. Click here to see the Fox News report: Firefighter explains why “at fault” motorists are responsible for motor vehicle accident clean up costs – not taxpayers. "

Was he cited in the accident? If not, I don't think they have anything to stand on. "At Fault Motorists" is key here.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 09/01/11 at 05:46:14

If nothing else, I'd get a new insurance company. PL/PD....public liability and property damage pays for this,.....thats why you paid premiums for it, to pay for any damage you do to anything other than yourself !

2nd, I myself would never pay for such a stupid thing as cleaning up what they won't let you clean up yourself.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
mojo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW MO
Reply #13 - 09/01/11 at 08:03:38

My first reaction is "It's a SCAM".  I recommend contacting the Sheriff's Dept or whoever wrote up the accident report.  Get a copy of it.  Ask the Sheriff if it is legit?  If it is, put the burden back on the insurance company.  They are liable for any damage you cause...period! (I'm not a lawyer or insurance agent, just common sense to me).  As before stated, don't just ignore it. Get the real story and follow up.  My $0.02

"Never Say Never"
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #14 - 09/01/11 at 09:29:34

It is a scam, sort of. The company will charge the police or fire dept x dollars to clean up any mess, then charge the responsible party 5 or six times their cost. They go after the money very aggressively, or sell the amount they are trying to get from you to a collection agency for 50 cents on the dollar, still making money. They have very few employees, as they sub- contract the actual cleanup to some guy with a truck and pay him 1/2 or less of what they bill the fire dept or police.. That way they don't have to pay any employee insurance and if the guy with the truck dumps the mess without following any environmental guidelines, and they do, they don't have to worry about that either.
These companies rely on scare tactics to get their money, as most people pay without questioning anything.
If you are not convicted of anything they don't have a leg to stand on.

Don't pay for something you feel you shouldn't have to just because someone sends you a bill.

« Last Edit: 09/01/11 at 15:34:14 by arteacher »  

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:22:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Motorcycle Accident - EF Recovery?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.