Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
New (to me) bike just hit 20K = annoying problems. (Read 833 times)
Bobber Fett

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chapel Hill, NC
Re: New (to me) bike just hit 20K = annoying probl
Reply #15 - 09/19/11 at 06:00:44

Thanks!

Well, it stopped for a while, but when I took her out for her maiden voyage after fixing all of the parts, it was cutting off on me again.  I may have to wrap it up and see if it fixes the issue.  The battery case cover is missing (blame the previous owners) so the battery can shift around.  I'm wondering if that's not making it worse.  I might try to secure the battery and tape up the connection until this battery dies and I can get one of those awesome Lithium Ion ones and build a custom case for it Shocked.

I may have to go in there to replace the clutch rod with the original if the longer push rod could be causing my slipping. Any thoughts on whether that could be the case?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 09/19/11 at 07:08:52

I think the rod should be no longer than 12.5 mm protruding from the clutch basket.

I just put one in that was 12.19 and it was fine so I'll go with that number.

I think I had one sticking out 13mm and it slipped too.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 09/19/11 at 10:10:22

Im not a big fan of seeing batteries bounce around a lot, but I know for certain too much pressure from a tie down is even worse,, I tied one down with a piece of seat belt & some all thread, on a welding machine & something inside shorted ( a few months after I tied it down) & when it exploded it sounded like a shotgun, flung acid on my boss , his clothes developed a lot of holes when they got washed,, so, be cool with that tie down, firm is good,, gorilla grip,, not so good.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bobber Fett

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #18 - 09/19/11 at 14:42:42

Yeah, I rode the bike in with the slippery clutch and all of a sudden I had a 650 CC scooter!  It wouldn't get over 45 MPH, which was OK for these small town roads, but it's really depressing to feel all that power and see it go nowhere...

I'll keep the 12.5 mm tip in mind when I open her up.  I installed the longest rod because I figured I had the stock one in there. The prev owner didn't even have a Verslavy, so I didn't think he ever would have changed it out.  It also put the lever just to the bottom of the acceptable range.  Apparently, I should have followed the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" adage.

Battery-related issue confirmed on the way home.  At every stop light she would sputter a bit, and if I pushed the battery further into the holder, the sputtering stopped.  I'll find a good way to fix it without loading a shotgun under my tushy Justin Grin

IP Logged
Bobber Fett

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #19 - 09/29/11 at 06:59:25

Update:

I got in this weekend and replaced the pushrod with the original and the bike was running and sounding great, so I decided to tackle the wiring issue.

I checked the battery connections and they didn't look that dirty, but I decided to sand them down anyway to be sure and I got them back to copper brown.  Since then, the battery position hasn't mattered and the bike is running great.  With the engine sound now lacking the cam chain noise I can hear an audible ticking, which I am guessing is the valves.  That'll be the next thing on the list.

I've got some before and after pictures from the chain tensioner replacement for your wall of fame, Oldfeller. If you want em, PM me your email.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #20 - 09/29/11 at 07:13:40

Bobber Fett wrote on 09/29/11 at 06:59:25:
Update:

I got in this weekend and replaced the pushrod with the original and the bike was running and sounding great, so I decided to tackle the wiring issue.

I checked the battery connections and they didn't look that dirty, but I decided to sand them down anyway to be sure and I got them back to copper brown.  Since then, the battery position hasn't mattered and the bike is running great.  With the engine sound now lacking the cam chain noise I can hear an audible ticking, which I am guessing is the valves.  That'll be the next thing on the list.

I've got some before and after pictures from the chain tensioner replacement for your wall of fame, Oldfeller. If you want em, PM me your email.

Post the pics here, whydoncha!!  Surely you can appreciate that this crowd is entertained much more with pics, rather than boring old text.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Bobber Fett

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #21 - 09/29/11 at 13:43:31

Fair enough!

Before:

After:

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #22 - 09/29/11 at 13:48:05

Excellent!!  

Thanks.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #23 - 09/29/11 at 13:58:09

Even though I don't think you mentioned how far out the original tensioner was, it's obvious that the 2nd pic looks so much more comfortable. I sighed a bit of relief seeing and comparing the pictures. Still makes me wonder what mine might look like when I finally open it up.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Bobber Fett

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #24 - 09/29/11 at 14:10:02

Yeah, I never measured the original because it was pretty obvious that it needed replacement.  The noise had just begun maybe 40 miles before I changed it, so it was probably early in its expansion.  You can hear it in the video I posted earlier, it's not as bad as the others on the "wall of fame".

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #25 - 09/30/11 at 06:45:54

Just for the fun of it, here are some pics from the tensioner mod we did for one of the bikes in the Double RYCA Build.  It had about 14,000 miles on it.

For all of its life it has used a mixture of 50% 101 octane Sunoco race fuel, 40% Seafoam, and 10% Marvel Mystery oil. Also, it has used a schmagnet oil drain plug and every bolt and screw in the engine has been magnetized to make sure every bit of ferritic dust gets trapped, plus a fuel magnetizer. The oil has been changed every 1,000 miles. Klotz, of course, with a cup of Seafoam, and another cup of MMO at each oil change. K&N air filter. Straight pipe exhaust, except for a washer jammed into the ass end of the pipe with a 3/4" hole in it.

The first pic shows the tensioner when we pulled the clutch cover off the 14,000 mile motor.  The plunger was extended a lot, but no so far as to get cocked in the housing.  The motor was making the clicking noise several folks referred to in other threads.

The second pic shows the piece we cut out of some mild steel to weld to the plunger.

Third pic shows the first grinds after the initial welds.  We used a MIG welder because we wanted the minimum duration of weld heat put on the piece, so as to disturb the case hardening of the part as little as possible.  The piece was clamped into a vise lined with aluminum to suck out heat as rapidly as possible.

Final pic shows the lengthened tensioner.  After the welded part was stuffed all the way back in to the housing, and turned loose to tighten the cam chain, the plunger moved back out two clicks on its ratchet.

I hope everyone realizes the paragraph in dark blue has tongue firmly planted in cheek.

IP Logged
Bobber Fett

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #26 - 09/30/11 at 14:33:35

So now I've discovered that I need to get my hands on a 1995+ torque limiter year and install it on the other side.  I bought the gear and will prob get it next week.  Due to my schedule I'll have to wait until next weekend to get it in the bike.  Is there anything I should do during shutdown that will prevent cylinder kick-back.  I'd hate the irony of buying the gear and the engine blowing up before it gets here Shocked.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 09/30/11 at 14:59:59

When you shut off, leave it in gear and as it spins down just before it stops, let out the clutch to stop rotation.  You want to prevent back spin.

Those with the limiter will note an ocassional twang when this happens.

WWW   IP Logged
Bobber Fett

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #28 - 10/02/11 at 10:27:09

Got the limiter in from fleabay. and it wasn't exactly what I expected. (the ebay ad on the right and what I got is on the left).

Is there any way to fix this?  I think I'm missing a retainer ring on the back side or something, but it needs to be compressed in order to get it in.  I contacted the seller to complain because he lists it as working, which I don't see how it could be...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #29 - 10/02/11 at 10:49:22

That's not right, no way.

I've put one back together, it ain't easy, but I had all the parts.

Your retainer ring is busted.

doesn't even look like the same part, as that one is rusted.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:26:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New (to me) bike just hit 20K = annoying problems.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.