Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Buell update (Read 265 times)
LostArtist
Ex Member

Buell update
08/30/11 at 11:19:18

I'm selling the Buell xb9s I got last January. I'm really glad I owned this bike and experienced a part of American motorcycle history, I definitely have a better appreciation of Buell and Harley and their history. If the Buell had a better, softer seat I might be keeping it, but there's just too many little things to adjust to make it work for me.

I'm even selling it for more than I paid for it, not a lot more and after putting a new rear tire, a new battery and buying the manual and software and the "low seat" I'm still losing money, but I'm not not up to throwing more money at it to make it better.

Also I really want to get back to having just one bike again. Thinking about taking the Buell money and my S-50 and trading in for a Bonneville or one of the older Triumph Thunderbird 900cc triples (them be hard to find though)

my lack of a garage makes having a bike you need to work a much more difficult to accept.  

I'd love to find a used fuel injected bonneville to replace my s-50 with, but wow, used bonnevilles are hard to find and often almost just as pricey as new ones.  

anyway, that's an update with where I am with my bikes now.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Buell update
Reply #1 - 08/31/11 at 07:17:55

Suzuki makes a nice 650.  Older ones are called Savages.  Newer ones are called S40 Boulevards.  You should try one.   Grin

But thanks for the update on the Buell, and keep us posted what you end up with...

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/31/11 at 09:00:41

If I had the money,.. I'd get a Duc...
Love that Darth Vader, WFO, engine howl... Huh..

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #3 - 08/31/11 at 10:11:10

My past experience indicates you'll stop with the Bonneville. Its a long story but the only reason I own a Savage is a long health issues story. Right now the Savage has served me well.  Any one at all that knows anything about quality can look at a new gen. Triumph and know the buck stops here. You're into retro like I am or you would have chosen the America. I had a 2000 model Thunderbird. If you google it you'll see it has a few differences  but overall its real similar to the new Bonneville, nothing like the new Thunderbird. Ive owned over 25 bikes, everything from a Honda Mini Trail to a Goldwing. The 2000 Thunderbird is the one bike in my stable I wish I could get back.

« Last Edit: 08/31/11 at 12:29:49 by Midnightrider »  

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/31/11 at 11:00:17

yeah, there's a used white 2009 Bonny in the Austin area I'm hoping will wait for me. once I get the buell sold, I'll need to sell the S-50 to make it all work though.  

There's also a victory Vegas 8-ball that is tempting me too . . . but it's a big bike, I live in a apt complex with a parking spot uncovered, and my current bike cover won't fit over the 8-Ball and with the Bonneville my car and the Bonny can share the space but with the 8-Ball I'll have to keep parking my car in the vistor's lot which isn't very far away but I like having my spot for me, right now two bikes are parked in it.  

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #5 - 08/31/11 at 12:58:13

So you're having a cruiser vs retro battle upstairs. The Bonneville should win. The Victory is a great bike but cruisers are limited. Now you've experienced a sportbike the Victory will never please you. The Bonneville is part sportbike. It has legendary European handling, a peppy engine that fits its handling and its retro cruiserish. Ya ever heard one piped? Makes beautiful music. No I do not work for Triumph. Just relating past experience and I believe you're traveling the same journey I did.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/31/11 at 13:28:12

Midnightrider wrote on 08/31/11 at 12:58:13:
So you're having a cruiser vs retro battle upstairs. The Bonneville should win. The Victory is a great bike but cruisers are limited. Now you've experienced a sportbike the Victory will never please you. The Bonneville is part sportbike. It has legendary European handling, a peppy engine that fits its handling and its retro cruiserish. Ya ever heard one piped? Makes beautiful music. No I do not work for Triumph. Just relating past experience and I believe you're traveling the same journey I did.

yeah I'm leaning heavily towards the bonneville bikes. they fit me better and really it's almost like blending a cruiser and a sport bike together which is almost perfect for how I want to ride.  my ultimate goal is to get a garage and a project real retro ride or custom bobber maybe, i don't know, I love so much about all kinds of bikes!

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #7 - 08/31/11 at 13:42:41

Once I owned a sportbike I realise a chopper bobber cruiser will never satisfy my needs. Thats why a Ninja 250 is in my present stable.  I'd be willing to bet the Bonneville will handle almost as well as the your paticular model Buell will. If you didnt want some of the things a sportbike offers you wouldnt have purchased the Buell.  Youre gonna waste time and money chasing the cruiser bobber dream. The Bonnie is the bike for you.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/31/11 at 14:35:49

I think I would love to have a bobber or chopper or something as a project as a second bike, but right now I really just want one bike and cruisers are leaving me kinda cold with my short stumpy legs not being able to get to the forward controls they all default to now. and I'm not afraid of not being able to flat foot a bike anymore.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #9 - 08/31/11 at 16:19:00

I'm only 5'7". The majority of my motorcycle life has been on bikes I couldnt flatfoot. The only bike I ever dropped was the Goldwing. I stopped it one night and didnt realise my right foot was over an empty posthole. Took me what seemed like an hour to work my way out of that one and I was being severely burned most of the time. I was alone. I posted this once before but sitting on a motorcycle flat footed is an American misconception. Didnt go over well on a Savage forum but I'll say it again because its the truth. Sitting flatfooted on a motorcycle is not even part of the equation when an Euoropean purchases a bike. Its pretty obvious they know what their doing. They build the best handling bikes in the world (I've also owned a Ducati) and they kick our American A$$ all over the racetrack. I realise I'm getting older and I'm sick.  I cant manhandle a tall top heavy motorcycle like my Triumph Trophy 1200 was. I still can handle a Bonneville dammit. As long as I can the dreams will continue.  My little Ninja makes me a happy man. I've toured with sportbikes and I have no problem with the riding position. My wife has quit riding and the only reason the Savage is in my stable is I dream of turning it into a Ryca. Yes I too am a dreamer. Its a disease, I've done research on it. Its called Motorcycle Aquisition Syndrome. MAS for short. The year 2000 I had 5 bikes at once, 4 of em were expensive European bikes. I was so sick I started turning Peter Egan's fantasies into my own LOL. Now that I have Lupus my pocketbook is a lot thinner and my physical capabilities have diminished to only being able to handle a middleweight machine. My reflexs are slowing down and that little $4000 250 screaming mimi Ninja can be a handful if I ride it to its potential. But alas the MAS is like alchoholism, once MAS always MAS. As long as I know I can physically handle the Bonneville the MAS will continue to knaw way at me unmercifully. If I set back and do nothing about the dream I'll be $8000 richer. Pretty soon the Bonneville dream will be taken over by a totally new disease I'm beginning to aquire OFS, short for Old Fart Syndrome. My research on OFS indicates all forms mental and financial reasoning can be totally lost with OFS. There might be a Bonny destined for my garage yet, only time will tell how much damage the disease will actually do. LA you are beginning to show all the warning signs of MAS. You havent made the next purchase yet and you're already dreaming of the purchase after. Dont dispair son, there is help available. Doctors have discovered that one suffering MAS patient conversing with another MAS Patient  is great theapy, much like alchoholism. Just conversing with you right now has made a lot of my MAS symptoms subside. I realise the Buell is hot and uncomfortable, I hope this doesnt totally blow you away but there was a Buell in my stable once. The paticular model Buell you have will at what I consider low mileage will break. It will get to the point it will become somewhat of a financial burden. Your dreams of a Bonny are somewhat warranted, but the more you ride the Buell the more you will appreciate the Bonnie. Ride the Buell, wait for the right Bonnie and quit dreaming about the bike after the Bonnie and yes grasshopper you will have my blessings.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/31/11 at 17:43:01

excellent post midnight!

MAS  yup

I wanna try them all!   Grin

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #11 - 08/31/11 at 18:38:00

I glad you took it the way it was intended! I'll be glad to give you my home phone# which also serves as the official MAS Hotline LOL.

IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/01/11 at 06:40:07

that's one of the things I love about motorcycling, there is a huge variety of options, from scooters to choppers and everything else. and if you don't try them all, how do you know what you want?  It's a journey of self discovery via machine, I Love It!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #13 - 09/01/11 at 08:13:08

I came very close to buying a Triumph America this summer. A real MAS attack, but my wife made some nasty threats so I didn't. Grin
BTW photographers call it GAS- gear acquisition syndrome. Grin

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 09/01/11 at 08:57:34

yeah I have a friend who is a photographer, I flirt with photography but the GAS is just too much to deal, hard to finance too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:23:41

General CategoryThe Cafe › Buell update

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.