Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ways to check rectifier (Read 252 times)
Kuyarey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ways to check rectifier
08/30/11 at 07:35:03

So my battery keeps on draining but I am having a hard time isolating the problem between the charging system and the battery. I checked my stator alternator according to Clymer instructions. But Clymer is also stating that in order for me to check the rectifier I have to take it to a Suzuki dealer. Is there another way I can check the rectifier without taking it to a dealer? Do I need tools other than the multi meter? I will appreciate any help. Thanks.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Ways to check rectifier
Reply #1 - 08/30/11 at 07:57:26

Put your volt-ohm meter into 20 volt range DC setting.

Stick the proper leads on the proper terminals on the battery (you can get into do this just by taking the seat off, the square cut outs are big enough).

Note the resting voltage of the battery as it sits before being started.  Write it down.  12.0 to 12.6 is a common resting range.

Crank the bike and get it to a good fast idle (at or over 1,000 rpm) check the battery voltage again with the engine running.

If resting voltage is over 12 volts and the running voltage is just over 13 volts you have a charging system that is working, but the regulator rectifier is getting marginal and old.   This bike may have issues with the battery not getting charged enough with short trips.

Running voltage at 13.5 to 14.5 is pretty sweet, your regulator rectifier isn't getting old and tired yet.  Your bike should recharge itself on short trips.

Over 15 volts, regulator rectifier is sick and is over charging your battery.

Stators rarely ever go bad, regulator rectifiers crap out much more often.  This test isn't hard to do and a Stealership will charge you $65 to $100 to perform it since you were silly enough to carry it to them to do it for you.  

They like your money in their wallet .....  that's why we call them Stealerships.

They can test your stator separately, both for resistance and for output voltage -- but get this ....

If the battery voltage on a running bike is in the right range, the stator and the regulator rectifier must be operating correctly for it to be there.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Kuyarey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/30/11 at 08:18:50

Thank you for your reply. Now a question on battery tenders. I have a battery tender Jr. And the way I understand this is the only difference tender Jr Has against the bigger tender is CHARGInG TIME.battery tender Jr. Takes longer time charging. Do I understand this correctly?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 08/30/11 at 10:25:53

tender is a low current charge  maintainer

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 08/30/11 at 10:58:32

General consensus is that you fully charge your battery with a normal charger to FULL SATURATION AND VOLTAGE POTENTIAL, then you put the battery tender on it to maintain what's there.

Battery tenders electronically maintain what's there -- they are not chargers per se.   They are maintainers mostly -- especially the Harbor Freight units.

Hooking up a battery tender to a discharged battery is worse than useless -- you will kill the battery tender over time due to overwork and you will teach your battery to remain "half charged" for a long period of time which tends to kill it too, especially if it is already weak.

Voice of experience here -- I and others on the list have done this to ourselves.

Battery tender literature from Harbor Freight and others now covers this -- it didn't originally.    Charge the up all the way, then put on the tender.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 08/30/11 at 11:46:22

5k rpm when checking output voltage

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 08/30/11 at 11:57:55

thumperclone wrote on 08/30/11 at 11:46:22:
5k rpm when checking output voltage

200,000th post.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Kuyarey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/30/11 at 17:20:47

So here's the deal. I tried to start the Bike and it just didn't have enough power to start. Then I checked the battery with my volt meter and the voltage read 12.66. this has been the case for the past couple of weeks. If I put the battery tender Jr. on this, It will start back up and it will be enough for a week until it dies again. Any thoughts?

IP Logged
Havezoom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/30/11 at 17:28:42

Dumb, but lightly sand all connections and tighten all the earth lines.

IP Logged
Kuyarey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/30/11 at 17:40:21

What parts should I sand? Except for the obvious positive and Negative Cables. Any other thoughts?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 08/30/11 at 18:15:42

I wouldn't sand anything.  Might fix a bad connection today, but you'd have to do it again tomorrow and again...

The trick is to remove the corrosion but not the plating.
chemically it the best way.
next best is to polish.

WWW   IP Logged
Kuyarey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/30/11 at 18:29:27

Any link to and/or instructions on how and where to get started with chemically removing the corrosion?

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 08/31/11 at 06:46:21

Whether it be cable to Batt, or cable to frame,...and right or wrong, I grind it to bare steel, or bare lead, then coat it w/ neverseize, then bolt it tight. Then coat it again if you like. It works.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #13 - 08/31/11 at 07:00:23

Electrician's conductive grease works well too.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 08/31/11 at 07:15:18

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/30/11 at 07:57:26:

Note the resting voltage of the battery as it sits before being started.  Write it down.  12.0 to 12.6 is a common resting range.

Crank the bike and get it to a good fast idle (at or over 1,000 rpm) check the battery voltage again with the engine running.

If resting voltage is over 12 volts and the running voltage is just over 13 volts you have a charging system that is working, but the regulator rectifier is getting marginal and old.   This bike may have issues with the battery not getting charged enough with short trips.

Running voltage at 13.5 to 14.5 is pretty sweet, your regulator rectifier isn't getting old and tired yet.  Your bike should recharge itself on short trips.

Over 15 volts, regulator rectifier is sick and is over charging your battery.

Stators rarely ever go bad, regulator rectifiers crap out much more often.

All this while keeping in mind that a standing voltage of 12.0, would be considered a near dead battery, and most likely would not start the bike.

And you could have a low v reading of around 13.0 from a good charging system,....if checking it while the battery is very discharged,..... as the charge comes up, so does the voltage. A fully charged batt should read 14+ volts on a good charging system.

Also voltage readings of 15+ can be seen from a good charging system,.....if the battery is severely sulfated,.....namely.....bad. And altho rare, this can sometimes ruin a rectifier.

AIMEO (all in my experience only) Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:28:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ways to check rectifier

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.