Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best performance/quality spark plug? (Read 104 times)
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Best performance/quality spark plug?
08/29/11 at 19:32:38

What's the best high performance/quality spark plug that you guys recommend? Mine needs pulling, and if I can't get it cleaned up I'm gonna have to replace it... and I only deal in the best Cheesy

Thanks

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Best performance/quality spark plug?
Reply #1 - 08/29/11 at 19:41:15

Blow the dirt out of the recess the plug sits in first.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 08/29/11 at 21:01:09

State of the art spark plugs have Iridium .060" center electrodes and a platinum alloy ridge on the hook.    Next grade down is iridium to steel hook, next down is double platinum, next down is single platinum.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1107534689

Justin speaks from hard experience -- he scored his cylinder with some trash from around his plug.

I listened to him and had to do quite a bit to get all the sand out of my recesses around the spark plug hole when I changed mine.

Warning -- cranking your engine with the plug out can possibly damage your electric control module box if you don't put the plug in the rubber boot and ground it out against the case.   I clip mine under the decompression solenoid cable so it can't get loose and get ungrounded during the cranking.

Dry cranking the bike makes a big suck and blow out of the spark plug hole that will suck in sand if any is available nearby -- clean that entire area really really good before pulling the plug.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #3 - 08/29/11 at 23:16:55

I just replaced mine for the first time, since I had my tank off.

I ordered a replacement and I got a NGK, which is the same that was in there before. I guess it's the same as stock, but I'm not certain.

If I change it again and want to try something different, I'll go with Bosch.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/29/11 at 23:18:49

Justin speaks from hard experience -- he scored his cylinder with some trash from around his plug.

Actually, my engine came out okay, I Did , however, spend the better part of 2 hours fishing bits of grit out with grease on a stick, I caught one very serious chunk of crud,, & a few smaller ones, I never felt anything that made me think Id hurt it,,but I could avoided a huge scary moment & tremendous hassle, just by using the airhose.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #5 - 08/30/11 at 03:19:09

Okay, gonna pull it when I get off work. So, if I do replace it appears I'm going with Iridium.. so which brand and # do I need to just throw it in there without any wrenching or changing anything? This is my first bike, so I'm not going to be able to mod anything.. I can basically just set it up like the manual says...

I have an air hose and a can of dust off so I should be able to get the chamber pretty well cleaned out.. Oldfeller is that water on those pics? Did you just spray your bike down with a water hose?  Cheesy

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 08/30/11 at 05:01:26

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/29/11 at 19:41:15:
Blow the dirt out of the recess the plug sits in first.

Yes, blow the dirt out with hi-pressure air from a compressor.  If that is not available, use a can of compressed "air."  (dustoff?  dust remover?  computer-blower-outer?)

I'd do it a few times during plug removal:
-- 1. Blow it out while the plug is still in the head to get the big chunks removed.  
-- 2. Wet the plug and plug area down with something like wd-40, then blow that out.  Having the liquid in and around the plug might remove some more stuff.  The liquid sort of "grabs" some of the little pieces that might not have come out with the first blow.
-- 3.  When you remove the plug, just before the plug is completely unscrewed (while the last couple of threads are still holding on to the plug), blow it out again.  The act of just breaking the plug free and unscrewing it can shake some more crud loose.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #7 - 08/30/11 at 17:46:20

Thanks for the tips Bob, I'm gonna have to do this Thursday hopefully.. I might just throw in a new iridium plug altogether...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:33:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Best performance/quality spark plug?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.