Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Changing Fork Oil Seal The RIGHT WAY. (Read 149 times)
Kuyarey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Changing Fork Oil Seal The RIGHT WAY.
08/29/11 at 18:59:54

Hi. I have been a lurker here for a long time and I have gained tremendous amount of knowledge in maintaining my bike. Today I decided to Change my fork seals how ever After everything is done, I kinda have a feeling I installed it the wrong way I installed it with the ALL rubber side facing up towards the Fork Cap Bolt (See Below Image)

seal1 by kuyarey1, on Flickr

Should I have installed it with the other way? Where the  Recessed silver metal ring is facing the Fork Cap Bolt? (See Image Below)

seal2 by kuyarey1, on Flickr

Please tell me which is the right one. THank you.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Changing Fork Oil Seal The RIGHT WAY.
Reply #1 - 08/29/11 at 19:29:34

I've never seen a seal of any kind with the sealing ring to the outside. The solid face goes always outside. The first one is right. Any disagree?

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/29/11 at 19:43:00

I think I undertand what youre aying, IF Im right, you did it right.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/29/11 at 19:44:55

From our own tech section.  sure, pic's would be nice...

slavy wrote on 10/24/05 at 23:11:37:
If You play Your cards right it is a piece of cake.

You will need a piece of PVC pipe with an inner diameter 38mm to drive the new fork seal. You can get it in the plumbing section of almost every ACE or Home Depot
Put a jack under the bike and remove the fr. wheel and fr. fender. Unscrey the top fork caps. Remove one of the forks.Put the cap back and tighten it lightly. Turn the fork upside down and put it into a vise.DO NOT SQUEEZE THE TUBE. Squeeze where the axle goes. Take a long alen socket. Install it in the alen bolt that will be facing up and wack it nice about 10 times/this will loosen the tight threads. If You have an impact driver , use it to take the darn bolt out. Pull the fork from the vise and let it drain in a pan. Pull the dust seal up, using a small screwdriver. Using the same tool pop out the retaining clip that is under the dust seal and holds the fork seal. Grab the Alum. part with one hand and the chrome tube in the other and slide them in oposite direction as many times as it takes to take the assy apart. Slide the old seal out. Install the assy back. Using the PVC pipe install the big washer that is under the seal. After the metal washer is installed all the way in, install the new seal the same way MAKE SURE THE LETTERS AND NUMBERS ARE FACING UP. Install the retaining clip and the dust seal. Turn the fork upside - down and fill 441 ml /14.9 oz/ thru the bolt hole on the bottom. put the alen bolt back in the hole and tighten it good. Repeat the procedure with the other fork. Have fun !

WWW   IP Logged
Kuyarey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/29/11 at 19:52:44

I was just thrown away by the Clymer manual. Clymer is saying it should be the other way around.

IP Logged
Kuyarey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/29/11 at 19:54:44

verslagen1 wrote on 08/29/11 at 19:44:55:
From our own tech section.  sure, pic's would be nice...

slavy wrote on 10/24/05 at 23:11:37:
If You play Your cards right it is a piece of cake.

You will need a piece of PVC pipe with an inner diameter 38mm to drive the new fork seal. You can get it in the plumbing section of almost every ACE or Home Depot
Put a jack under the bike and remove the fr. wheel and fr. fender. Unscrey the top fork caps. Remove one of the forks.Put the cap back and tighten it lightly. Turn the fork upside down and put it into a vise.DO NOT SQUEEZE THE TUBE. Squeeze where the axle goes. Take a long alen socket. Install it in the alen bolt that will be facing up and wack it nice about 10 times/this will loosen the tight threads. If You have an impact driver , use it to take the darn bolt out. Pull the fork from the vise and let it drain in a pan. Pull the dust seal up, using a small screwdriver. Using the same tool pop out the retaining clip that is under the dust seal and holds the fork seal. Grab the Alum. part with one hand and the chrome tube in the other and slide them in oposite direction as many times as it takes to take the assy apart. Slide the old seal out. Install the assy back. Using the PVC pipe install the big washer that is under the seal. After the metal washer is installed all the way in, install the new seal the same way MAKE SURE THE LETTERS AND NUMBERS ARE FACING UP. Install the retaining clip and the dust seal. Turn the fork upside - down and fill 441 ml /14.9 oz/ thru the bolt hole on the bottom. put the alen bolt back in the hole and tighten it good. Repeat the procedure with the other fork. Have fun !

Thank you MOD but just so it is easier for the others, You will not Find a PVC pipe sized in Diameters in Home Depot or Lowe's or Ace etc.. the PERFECT PVC Size that you MUST pick up is 1 1/2. It worked great for me.  Wink

IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #6 - 08/29/11 at 20:01:23

I found the 1 1/2 at home depot...

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 08/29/11 at 21:28:28

Kuyarey wrote on 08/29/11 at 19:54:44:
Thank you MOD but just so it is easier for the others, You will not Find a PVC pipe sized in Diameters in Home Depot or Lowe's or Ace etc.. the PERFECT PVC Size that you MUST pick up is 1 1/2. It worked great for me.  Wink

Au contrair mon ami, you really must visit the tech section...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1300797103/0
Gyrobob wrote on 03/28/11 at 20:24:19:
I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours.  

jk    (I really WOULD like a hint, though, about how to get the bushing back in the lower tube)

Anyway, the pics show how a simple 2' length of PVC will slip over the stanchion to seat the seal.  Now if I could figure out how to get the bushing back in,...
$2.97 at Lowe's

WWW   IP Logged
jjn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hi. USA
Reply #8 - 08/30/11 at 07:21:15

If you look at the seal, the side  with the "opening" should have what looks like a spring going around it. The "spring" always goes to the side of the component where the oil is. Looks like you did it right.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
  IP Logged
Kuyarey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/30/11 at 07:41:34

verslagen1 wrote on 08/29/11 at 21:28:28:
Kuyarey wrote on 08/29/11 at 19:54:44:

Au contrair mon ami, you really must visit the tech section...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1300797103/0

Gyrobob wrote on 03/28/11 at 20:24:19:
I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours.  

jk    (I really WOULD like a hint, though, about how to get the bushing back in the lower tube)

Anyway, the pics show how a simple 2' length of PVC will slip over the stanchion to seat the seal.  Now if I could figure out how to get the bushing back in,...
$2.97 at Lowe's

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/Motorcycle/RYCA%...

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/Motorcycle/RYCA%...

Do you mean attach the old oil seal at the bottom of the 1 1/2 PVC pipe?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 08/30/11 at 08:11:39

Kuyarey wrote on 08/30/11 at 07:41:34:
Do you mean attach the old oil seal at the bottom of the 1 1/2 PVC pipe?

No, pretty sure that's just to show sizes.  Assemble the fork, then ram the seal home with the pipe.

WWW   IP Logged
Kuyarey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/01/11 at 07:05:15

So I rode for about 15 miles today and I saw oil on not one but BOTH forks building up about 3 to 4 inches above the dust seal. Did I forget enything when I was changing the seal?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 21:09:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Changing Fork Oil Seal The RIGHT WAY.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.