Send Topic Print
Savage Vs. XS650? (Read 786 times)
jjn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hi. USA
Re: Savage Vs. XS650?
Reply #30 - 04/22/13 at 13:40:06

I almost bought a new XS650 in 1976. Test rode it and did like it. Ended up buying a 1976 Honda CB750K model instead. I think by 1975 or 76 the XS650 had an electric starter and a kick. And I believe they used a generator that would wear out the brushes sometimes. They are probably still available. I think Motorcyclist many years ago ran some articles in improving the handling on them. I think the swing arm bushings were not mad of the best materials.
   But a good running 650 twin is a very fun ride. In high school, class of 1972, I rode a BSA 500 twin. My best friend had a Kawasaki W2SS (google it), which was a copy of an old English pre-unit twin. The Kawasaki had a single carb which gave it tremendous torque, but not as much of a top end as the twin carb model had. That Kawasaki was a riot to ride. My BSA was a twin carb and was pretty fast too.
   Ah, those were the good old days........

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
  IP Logged
strang

london
Re: Savage Vs. XS650?
Reply #31 - 04/23/13 at 03:06:12

I have both. Am still restoring my xs650, has taken me a year already.

Bad points:
yes handling - swingarm bushings are made of plastic! good quality retrofit ones available. Not a fun job though.
older ones still run points.
clutch is not up to modern standards and it's a pain to get it adjusted right. Finding nuetral at stop light a bit of a dance.

Good points:
much easier cafe conversion than the savage!  Smiley
beautiful engine look and sound.
loads of parts about new and old.

Basically it isn't the best bike (xs650) out of the box but if you are prepared to mess around every weekend for a long time you will get a very cool bike. Not sure I'd do it again but I'm in too deep now.  Roll Eyes
Got the savage cause I didn't want the hassles of the XS650.

Oh and the XS650 will do two up a lot better than the savage if that's improtant, otherwise I vote Savage.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 05:24:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Vs. XS650?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.