Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Raptor arrived/OIL booshie... (Read 300 times)
mr.HUBA
Ex Member

Raptor arrived/OIL booshie...
08/29/11 at 11:40:16

got my new raptor in today, finally haha.
so I gotta ask, is it ok to reuse the same tubes at the stock petcock?
if not, which replacement should I get?

also, im gonna change oil, and oil filter today.
Im caught up with the oil clashes Ive been reading.

many people stand by Mobil Vtwin 20W-50

but, the manual says 10w-40 and people here say nothing less than a 15w due to slipping clutches....

now i dont know what my previous owner had in my bike, but i think im just gonna go with a Mobil 20W-50 to play it safe...

Whats ya guys think???

IP Logged
mr.HUBA
Ex Member

Re: Raptor arrived/OIL booshie...
Reply #1 - 08/29/11 at 11:45:56

also, im gonna try the SEAFOAM in the crankcase to clean it all out in there.

Ill ride around for 30 mins to get it all regulated in there.

have any of you tried this??

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 08/29/11 at 12:00:57

Gosh Mr.HUBA,

I would think you have combined all the inherent opportunities of a petcock war with those of an oil war ....  with seafoam thrown on top for the magic sparklies

Problem as I see it is that some of us are on different sides of those two different sorts of wars and it is possibly gonna get right confusing in a few minutes from the viewpoint of a newbie that asked two (2) innocent seeming questions in the same mouthful of air.

Just don't flinch when the wheet sounds go buzzing by your ears, none of the bullets are aimed at you in particular.  

Do watch where you put your feet when you start running as you are standing in the middle of a mine field right now.

======================

And I will start out the fun by asking all the list's trolls this very simple but interesting question:

Gentlemen, what are the odds of a single newbie's simple innocent question punching every hot button that we own all at the same time?  

10 to 1?

50 to 1?

100 to 1?

======================

And now for the obligatory "serious straight faced answer" which will stall things long enough --- until I can get my Kevlar on anyway ....

Straight answer #1

Yes, you can re-use the fuel hose, but no you cannot use the vac hose because it has nowhere to go.  You have to cap off the suction port on the carb with a rubber plug you can get from any auto parts store, or a little piece of the vac tube that is plugged up with RTV, or by tapping the brass port with ID threads and putting a small screw into it.

Straight answer #2

You can use whatever oil you want to in your bike.   It is your bike after all.  

Since you are current on all the oil clashes (and must have been around to read them) you already know all the pros and cons discussed earlier.

And, your last sentence seems to get the weight thing a bit backwards, heavier oils may promote slippage, not thinner oils .....

Good luck, Mr.HUBA

Incoming !!!!

Roll Eyes   seafoam no less?    Bill, is this whole thing all aimed at you buddy?

« Last Edit: 08/29/11 at 14:01:54 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 08/29/11 at 13:17:11

mr.HUBA wrote on 08/29/11 at 11:45:56:

Yes I have put Sea Foam in the oil I Would drive it more than 1/2 hour I would drive it at least 2 days in a row,You could drive it a month and it wouldn't hurt any thing.

Bill,

If Klotz is the perfect oil that never ever never gets dirty, why did you have to add Seafoam to it to clean out or regulate anything?  

What were you cleaning out?

Cheesy      'jest curious, you know ....  big grin

« Last Edit: 08/29/11 at 17:33:48 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #4 - 08/29/11 at 13:37:19

I have used 10w40 since I got my bike 12k ago. Never a problem with the oil or clutch slippage. Just don't use oil with additives or detergents in them. That's what will cause the clutch to slip. Make sure it is for motorcycle wet clutch use. Or, like some on here use, get RotellaT for diesel motors. Apparently that works good too. Be careful with the seal and spring when changing the filter.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/29/11 at 13:40:45

We maybe at the top end of the heat range for 10w40, but it flows better then 20w50.  And that flow carries the heat faster.

The low end of the oil wt. doesn't matter at all, unless you ride up to jackson hole to go skiing.  Your savage will never see temp's to activate the low end.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 08/29/11 at 19:07:06

bill67 wrote on 08/29/11 at 13:17:11:
mr.HUBA wrote on 08/29/11 at 11:45:56:

Yes I have put Sea Foam in the oil I Would drive it more than 1/2 hour I would drive it at least 2 days in a row,You could drive it a month and it wouldn't hurt any thing.

Bill,

If Klotz is the perfect oil that never ever never gets dirty, why did you have to add Seafoam to it to clean out or regulate anything?  

What were you cleaning out?

Cheesy      'jest curious, you know ....  big grin

I don't use it in my motorcycles,I use it in the oil for lawnmowers, generators, cars ,trucks,and etc.I use 15 w/ 50 Klotz in the motorcycles the oil is clean when I change it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 08/29/11 at 19:13:10

I found Seafoam for $5.99 a can and was broke as a convict. (A real convict...not a govt one) I'm not telling anybody till I can get back there. Oops! Embarrassed

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 08/29/11 at 19:17:27

I get Sea Foam at Menards for $6.50 but I think they are only in the midwest.Wal mart is $8.50 here .

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 08/29/11 at 19:17:34

Seafoam contains no lubrication qualities whatsoever. Who in their right mind would run that for even 30 seconds in a crankcase ??!!!!

Oh,....thats right, its your bike/money.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #10 - 08/29/11 at 19:26:10

I don't put it in my crankcase, but I wouldn't be afraid to. With diesel oil in the crankcase I don't need to.  Wink It's in my gas occassionally and my non ethanol gas can for the mowers and weedeaters. I found it in a small local junk store that buys wrecked freight and such. They even have pallets of 5 gallon gear oil. The farmers around here love it. Cheap and name brand.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 08/29/11 at 19:53:18

Bill,

What sort of oil do you use in your cars that you have to put Seafoam in them to clean ???what??? out --- and do you still run them without oil for 10-15 seconds after giving them a dose of (how much) Seafoam?

Cheesy

I like the oil and seafoam part of this question pretty much so far -- still waiting for the sides to swap out for the petcock part.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 08/30/11 at 08:53:07

I been using mobil 1 since it came out,I put Sea Foam in about a week before I change oil.I run them for 4-5 seconds to get the rest of the oil out.You could put a ounce of gas in your oil and it wouldn't hurt any thing. And Sea Foam does contain some oil.One half of can in the car oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 08/30/11 at 10:00:30

Mobile1 was my favorite car oil too for a lot of years, then they took to modifying the formulation and NOT NOTIFYING THEIR CUSTOMERS in any way at all that they had done so.

Pissed off all the old car buffs and a good many of the performance car folks too as what they cut out was a lot of the ZDDP that made it such a great performance oil for so many years.

Now, if you want a full load of ZDDP you have to go to a diesel oil and you get warned very strictly that high levels of ZDDP is potentially harmful to the new type 2 catalytic converters.

If you have a type 2 catalytic converter on your car and are within a extended warranty of any kind you have to watch the oil you put in the vehicle very closely -- only milquetoast oils can be used.    

Like the new neutered Mobil1 formulation (with friction modifiers like moly added to it).  

In a car engine (separate transmission) friction modifiers are a good thing since they replace some of the functions of ZDDP, so Mobil1 is good car oil.  

Just not as good as it used to be ....

And not a good Savage bike oil at all.

Wink      friction modifiers are stone bad news for a wet clutch bike like ours

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mr.HUBA
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 08/31/11 at 12:38:14

new petcock, raptor 660
new oil, 15w-50
new oil filter, Hiflow

my bike accelerates much slower now, and sounds a bit louder...

is there something I need to adjust?

ALSO, i was thinking I HAD a synthetic oil previously and now I changed it to a non-syth one.
would this be a bad thing????

OR maybe my carbs needs rejetting to let more gas in now that its not a vacuum suction of gas but a falling into the carb kinda deal with this manual petcock????

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:26:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Raptor arrived/OIL booshie...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.