Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How do you know when it is TIME to stop riding ... (Read 396 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
How do you know when it is TIME to stop riding ...
08/29/11 at 06:46:59

This is a semi-serious question as I sense it it looming out there in the distance for me.

Health and abilities change over time and road damage mounts up in our joints, etc.   We decline in our ability to ride long distances ....

When I started the Dragon runs with Toymaker and Lancer and all, we were starting the grey top and hair loss thing, but we were all spry and were gettin' on it good and we ripped around right smartly.

We went for like 5 years in a row and I noted the body mobility decline in the others (I already was well aware of my own and made jokes about falling over when getting off the bike at overlooks).

Now I have hip or knee episodes that park my one remaining bike (my Savage) for a month at a time now as I don't want to aggravate the knee damage, etc.

Some of you jokers have finally hung it up except for an occasional joyride -- seriously, if you can talk about it without pain what finally caused you to hang the helmet up on the hook out in the garage?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jjn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hi. USA
Re: How do you know when it is TIME to stop riding
Reply #1 - 08/29/11 at 07:48:13

I'm almost 58 and started riding at eight off road. Got a street riding permit at 15 and a half and have been at it ever since. I simply can't see me not riding. All  my life riding has been my therapy to overcome the streeses and BS in my life.

Sorry, but I don't even want to talk aboit hanging up my riding gear.

jjn

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #2 - 08/29/11 at 07:49:00

I haven't hung my helmet up yet and have looked for other solutions to keep riding. I have arthritis and fibromyalgia (bad knees/hips) and sometimes have to let the S40 sit. I bought my Suzuki Burgman 650 so that I can ride on days that I can't swing my leg over the S40 and will eventually trike the Burgman or get a VW trike.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/29/11 at 07:58:25

I havent ridden in 2+years,, when I get the Savge running, Im selling it. Im thinking Ill sell the W 650, too, & hunt a Miata or something,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #4 - 08/29/11 at 08:47:09

Whatever you do, don't turn riding into work!  You do not have to ride at all, and if any particular outing does not seem like fun, don't do it.  The surest way to procrastinate/never do something is to begin with a sense of obligation.  Screw that.  You worked hard in your life and now it is time to just have as much fun as you want.

I (very loosely) plan to prop the hell out of myself as I lose mobility, so that things remain fun at each stage.  When I don't want to ride a tall motorbike anymore, I'll switch to a cruiser.  When it is too much trouble, or painful to swing a leg over a cruiser, I'll switch to a scooter.  When it is trouble to balance a scooter, I'll switch to one of those Can-Am things or a sidecar rig.  When I am too "out of it" to be safe on the road, I'll switch to a Kubota tractor and see if I can do some real damage. Then when they pull me off the tractor, I'll get an electric wheelchair that I can steer with my face. Once I can't steer with my face, technology willing, I'll transfer myself into a fully digital entity like on that Star Trek episode. But none of these steps is going to happen if it does not seem like a good, fun idea at the time.

So, not only do you not have to force yourself to keep riding a particular vehicle, you don't have to plan out everything to the grave either.

I think avoiding rigid obligations, and recognizing that you don't have to do anything.. ultimately leads to more getting done and more fun being had.
Kind Regards,
John

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #5 - 08/29/11 at 09:00:16

I waited til I was 48 to start riding - not going to stop until i just cant hold the grips anymore - which considering i have arthritis and diabetic neuropathy issues with my hands might not be all that far off - but until i can't safely hold on to it and or control it then I plan to ride.

« Last Edit: 08/29/11 at 12:00:32 by weracerc »  

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 08/29/11 at 09:20:22

I'd have to say when you feel unsafe to yourself or others, you gotta hang it up.  Gotta be honest with yourself.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 08/29/11 at 09:26:25

babyhog wrote on 08/29/11 at 09:20:22:
I'd have to say when you feel unsafe to yourself or others, you gotta hang it up.  Gotta be honest with yourself.

Heck fire, Babyhog -- honestly, this has been true for a LONG time now.
  Jest ask the boys whut go on these little trips wid us ....  

and I ain't the only dangerous one, either.      Wink

One Dragon I was running with a not quite healed dislocated shoulder, Lancer has ridden in a body brace for his back and trip before that I had a badly bunged up left wrist.   Overcoming the handicaps is part of the joy, but eventually you go Justin and Mick and Bill on us -- what finally trips the trigger?

What brings the subject up is we are gonna try to go do Mount Mitchell and the Black Mountains (The Diamondback, the other Dragon type run) again in a few weeks ....  Sept 19th - 23rd

Once more we can defy our creaky old flesh and go do it yet again !!!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #8 - 08/29/11 at 10:31:26

Don't sound to me like you will ever give up riding. You may have some years, but you are most likely alot tougher than most of the young folk. If you get tired of swinging the leg over and having to hold the bike up, remember they make a trike conversion for the 650 Burgman. Hang in there, have fun on the upcoming ride (pictures???).

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #9 - 08/29/11 at 12:30:54

lukeduck wrote on 08/29/11 at 10:31:26:
If you get tired of swinging the leg over and having to hold the bike up, remember they make a trike conversion for the 650 Burgman.

Trinity Trikes makes a true trike kit for the Savage/S40 and the Burgman 650. http://thetrinitytrike.com/. Ultimately, each person has to decide for themselves when to hang up their helmet. Until then, there are options. I will probably put a Trinity trike kit on the Burgman when the time comes for that. And I can always make a sidecar to roll up onto with a power chair (way down the road) and make my kids take me for a ride  Grin

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #10 - 08/29/11 at 14:35:29

I just turned 55. Been riding 6 years. I wish I would have started riding a lot younger. Actually, I did have an old Honda 50 back in my teen years. It is already getting difficult to swing the leg over. And my a$$ + back can only take about 50 miles at a time. I also have a lazy eye with glaucoma, so I pretty much drive 1-eyed. Things that make me think about giving it up? Well the large-rock-in-road incedent didn't help matters much. And there is the crash factor. We are so vulnerable as bikers.

This morning I found out that an old friend of mine plowed his Harley into the back of a delivery truck, sliding on sandy pea gravel from a construction site. Apparently the truck slammed on his brakes to avoid rear ending some OTHER biker. Well, my buddy's wife got thrown off the back--she's ok with minor injuries, but my buddy got pinned under the bike and of course, there was fire. He got burned pretty bad, I guess, and died a few hours later at the hospital.
Is it time to hang up the helmet I don't wear? No sir. It does make you think long and hard. But, when I can no longer physically get on the thing, then, maybe.
Oh, and that Trinity Savage Trike? SWEET !! I want one !!

RIP Larry Lussier

« Last Edit: 08/29/11 at 15:40:50 by drums1 »  
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 08/29/11 at 15:45:22

Hook in the garage for the helmet ?? Shocked Thats where I always hang it when done riding,....at least 2....sometimes 3 times a week,....and always 40 to 60 mi RT. I still have fun when riding,....even tho I have adjusted my riding to my older reflexes. The only time I had doubts about riding, was when I restarted riding here again 2 + yrs ago,.....when it seemed the Deer in this country were out to get me,.....had some close calls that had me wondering ! But, I slowed down,..... got used to the country here, and I'm good now.
I'll continue riding till I begin to worry about it, or don't have fun anymore. At 70, I am blessed w/ very little......to no health issues.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
marine5317
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lecanto,FL
Reply #12 - 08/29/11 at 17:11:47

I have been riding since 1953. At 24 years old I wound up with 6 screws in my lower back ( a ruptured disc from welding in a shipyard )

2005 I got 3 rods a 10 screws put in my neck at the VA hospital ( spinal stenosis ) 2007 I had a quadruple bypass at the same hospital.

March of 2008 I bought my 2007 LS650 and had it 2 years and sold it. I then bought my 2010 Triumph Bonneville T-100 which I have put 6000 miles on already. I am 75 now and I look at age as just a number. I am not saying that I don't have any aches or pains as I have lived with low back pain since I was 24.  I get on my Bonny and I'm singing within the first mile. As long as I can keep singing I'll keep on riding. The first hundred years are the roughest and after that, it's all down hill.

Ride Safe
                                            Marine5317

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 08/29/11 at 18:30:16

I've been riding since 1828.

jk

I've been riding since I was 13,.. in 1960.

I don't see any reason to stop riding unless you start noticing obvious problems that would endanger others.   Lapses of concentration, lack of balance, etc.    

or

If you just don't like to anymore.  That actually happens to some folks.

Sad that we have to address these issues,...

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #14 - 08/29/11 at 19:17:06

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/29/11 at 07:58:25:
I havent ridden in 2+years,, when I get the Savge running, Im selling it. Im thinking Ill sell the W 650, too, & hunt a Miata or something,

I would give my left you-know-what for a w650, but that's what the Savage cost me.  Grin Grin It's kinda like the doctor says about knee and hip replacements. You'll know when it's time. I hope you ride a long time.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:28:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How do you know when it is TIME to stop riding ...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.