Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Cholesterol breakfast.
Reply #30 - 09/07/11 at 15:12:36

prsavage wrote on 09/07/11 at 14:19:58:
I had what BC Ferries calls the All Aboard breakfast this morning.  Two over easy eggs, 6 pieces of bacon, three hash brown patties, two pieces of toast and coffee.

Its good to insulate the arteries now and again isn't it?   Wink

Wow,.. high fat, high carb, and high blood sugar.  You must be quite a guy!!

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #31 - 09/07/11 at 19:20:31

Wash it all down with a beer and have a cigarette. Grin

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #32 - 09/07/11 at 20:10:11

" That reduces your comment to anecdotal info. "
It may be anecdotal, I never claimed it was not. It was, however personal experience, with real people I know, which I tend to give more credit to than anything experienced second hand.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #33 - 09/08/11 at 05:40:55

arteacher wrote on 09/07/11 at 20:10:11:
" That reduces your comment to anecdotal info. "
It may be anecdotal, I never claimed it was not. It was, however personal experience, with real people I know, which I tend to give more credit to than anything experienced second hand.

Certainly!  I put more stock in personal anecdotal info than I do in someone else's anecdotal info, to be sure.

I would also put more stock in actual info collected on a large scale by professionals that are studying an issue, than I would in my one personal experience that goes against that learned by skillful research.

For example, I have a cousin who refuses to get on an airliner because her college chum was killed in a tragic crash.  Her anecdotal info was that flying was dangerous.  The research shows it is by far the safest way to get from one place to another.

When you have something like the Atkins system being used by millions of people, of course there will be examples of it not working, or even causing problems.  No system is ever perfect.  The overall verdict, though, as shown by recent studies is that the Atkins system really does work, and that most of the nasty hype thrown at it is baseless.

If you want some anecdotal info, I started using it in 2003.  I weighed 235.  I had moderately high cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood pressure.  I had a blood yeast imbalance.  I had problems with joints that I assumed was either just from aging or arthritis or both.  Then the Doc put me on a diet that I noticed had a lot in common with Atkins, so I bought a book, studied it hard, and adopted it fully.  

Cutting to the chase, within 6 months, I lost 30 lbs, cholesterol/triglycerides changed from scary to excellent, and the blood yeast thing cleared up.   Blood pressure changed to what it was 30 years ago.  As another pleasant surprise, I noticed several months into it that my creaky achy joints felt a lot smoother.  I could now turn my head around to check traffic before changing lanes, for example.

I don't doubt your anecdotal info.  Just realize that is but one example.  In any situation where you have millions of examples, it won't be hard to find a few that run counter to the overwhelming majority.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #34 - 09/08/11 at 05:52:17

You can eat all you want as long as you burn more calories than you eat.Thats why kids were skinny years ago,Now they only have skinny fingers and eyeballs.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #35 - 09/08/11 at 06:06:44

bill67 wrote on 09/08/11 at 05:52:17:
You can eat all you want as long as you burn more calories than you eat.Thats why kids were skinny years ago,Now they only have skinny fingers and eyeballs.

What you say is true, but if you eat hi-carb food, the body wants to burn the sugar from the carbs, which takes a lot less energy to do.  If you eat low-carb food, the body has to work harder to create the sugar to use for fuel.  Therefore you have an easier time of using up the fat.

Another way to look at it, for a given amount of calories and exercise, more fat will be stored if you eat donuts instead of eggs and bacon.  

-- Two Krispy Kreme donuts have about 700 calories.  

-- 12 strips of bacon and 3 eggs have about the same.  

-- The body sees the sugar in the donuts, and the white flour, which turns into sugar right away, so it has no need to burn the fat for fuel.  It stores the fat.  Don't you look so nice and soft!

-- The eggs and bacon have no sugar, and since they have no carbs, the only fuel in there is fat.  The body has to use a lot of energy simply to convert the fat to fuel.  So,... it doesn't store the fat, it burns the fat.  Don't you look so nice and trim!

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #36 - 09/08/11 at 06:49:23

Wolfman wrote on 09/01/11 at 13:10:35:
Actualy stoneage man didnt live to a ripe old age.
Neanderthal man lived to a ripe old age of 30. Very few lived longer.
Fact is it was'nt until the late 1800's and early 1900's that the average age began t go higher then 50 or so.
In the 1700's 40-50 was considered extreme old age.
The average for the male of the species stands at 76 right now with the female being an average of 83.
Better foods, eatting habits, medical and dental care are what has extended the average life span to what it is.

Margerine is only a couple of molicules different from basic plastic.
Bugs wont even eat it. Put a Big pat of it out and see how long it takes to disappear.

The nice thing about this Forum is one can disagree without being shot at.

Wolfman, you confuse a statistic with a social condition.

The statistic is "in the days of the Stone Age, a man's average age was 30".

Read that again, it says "average age", meaning, for every baby who died during childbirth, or during his first year... for every child who died of a fever before reaching 10... for every inexperienced young hunter who got mauled by a beast, or inexperienced young warrior who got killed on his first expedition... someone would live to see 70 or more.

Not to mention teenage brides who died during their very first childbirth (which is always the most troublesome).

Now, we can either claim historical recodrs are a bunch of mumbo-jumbo, and Kings and Pharaohs never really lived to be 90+, we can claim the old Medicine men and Shamans (and Priests in the Temples) actually never lived to be of a highly respectable age...
...or we can admit that Mr. and Mrs. Main Street have been brainwashed into believing a statistic was actually a threshold.

If I have two chickens and you go hungry, we got a chicken each, right?

Just go and read Mark Twain, or R.L.Stevenson, or Homer, if you care, and you'll see antiquity was rife with people well beyond 60 or 70.
It's just that so many died in childhood or by their 40s, either from illness or childbirth (any lady rider can tell us what 12+hours labor are like !) that the avergage age was brought down.

Incidentally, it was brought down by statisticians and would be historians whom were proven wrong by later archaeological dscoveries.

As for myself, of my 8 great-grandparents...
- the four who lived farmers' or fishermen's lives, all lived beyond 95 (in the 19th century)
- the four who lived in the city, and were "well off" and had heating, running water and ate meat many times/week... one GGF died of a heart attack at 40; the other lived to a mere 60; the two great-grandnothers lived through two world wars, and died into their nineties.

So, looking at family who were all born around 1850/1860, 6 lived to 90, 1 lived to 60, one died at 40.

That's pretty significant to me.  Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #37 - 09/08/11 at 09:50:24

"I don't doubt your anecdotal info.  Just realize that is but one example.  In any situation where you have millions of examples, it won't be hard to find a few that run counter to the overwhelming majority."

I did not say they had problems. I said the potential for problems existed, and their doctor monitored liver function throughout the diet. As my doctor would, and yours should have.
Why don't you read what is on the page instead of what you want to see!!

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #38 - 09/08/11 at 18:46:05

arteacher wrote on 09/08/11 at 09:50:24:
"I don't doubt your anecdotal info.  Just realize that is but one example.  In any situation where you have millions of examples, it won't be hard to find a few that run counter to the overwhelming majority."

I did not say they had problems. I said the potential for problems existed, and their doctor monitored liver function throughout the diet. As my doctor would, and yours should have.
Why don't you read what is on the page instead of what you want to see!!

ok

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:26:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cholesterol breakfast.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.