Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Re: Cholesterol breakfast.
Reply #15 - 08/30/11 at 07:58:08

For JOG and the rest of the "Natural" fans:

Back in July, 2004 I had a sudden onset of chest pain, then it radiated down the left arm and up into the left jaw.  Any middle aged man knows what that means - angina.

Thankfully, I didn't have a heart attack - just a badly 95% occluded left anterior descending coronary artery, and a 100% blocked right coronary artery.  The right side had developed good collateral circulation around the blockage so nothing was done.  Two stents were put in the left side.

At the time of my procedure, my cholesterol was 280, despite eating fairly healthily and being both a runner and a bicyclist.

With Vytorin and Tricor, I'm now around 130.

The human liver, in fact all animals' livers, manufacture cholesterol, and if you're one of the unlucky ones like I am, only prescrition statin drugs will "shut down" the cholesterol factory in your own body.  If you are lucky and don't have this problem, I'm glad for you, but don't be telling others that these health food pills will always remedy run-away high cholesterol.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #16 - 08/30/11 at 14:56:52

Well, that is not a fact Jerry.

Red yeast rice has been used for thousands of years. It IS a natural statin, and a very effective one. If you've never tried it, don't knock it, simply because you take pharma drugs. (I take pharmaceutical drugs for other things. )

Doing a simple internet search, you'll find plenty of info on Red yeast rice.

From About.com:

"Red yeast rice contains naturally-occurring substances called monacolins. Monocolins, particularly one called lovastatin, is believed to be converted in the body to a substance that inhibits HMG-CoA reductase, an enzyme that triggers cholesterol production. This is the way the popular statin drugs work."

High cholesteral runs high in my family, esp on my mother's side. We both get tested regularly for it. I have to for a couple of reasons.
Red yeast rice has kept both of ours down significantly and enough that we don't need pharma drugs in this case.

From wikipedia:

"In the late 1970s, researchers in the United States and Japan were isolating lovastatin from Aspergillus and monacolins from Monascus, respectively, the latter being the same yeast used to make red yeast rice but cultured under carefully controlled conditions. Chemical analysis soon showed that lovastatin and monacolin K are identical. The article "The origin of statins" summarizes how the two isolations, documentations and patent applications were just months apart.[2] Lovastatin became the patented, prescription drug Mevacor for Merck & Co. Red yeast rice went on to become a contentious, non-prescription dietary supplement in the United States and other countries."

It is not just some health food pill gimmick. And I'm not saying it will work for everyone, or that everyone will even want to try it. That is up to you. But it works for me, my mom and probably millions of other people. So don't knock it until you try it.

I should also mention my mom is a registered nurse. I spoke to her again about this just today. She said that both herself and nurses she has spoken to about drugs like lipitor, have seen that they can have really bad side effects. She said that Red yeast rice does not have the same threat.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #17 - 08/31/11 at 06:27:11

While the red yeast rice does have some positive effects, it cannot lower cholesterol to the levels needed by people like me.

If you're a normally healthy person with somewhat elevated cholesterol, this remedy may be all you need to lower your readings 20, 30, or maybe even 40 points.  For most people, that brings them down into a normal range.

But for people like me, who need to lower their readings by 150 points, and sometimes even more, no amount of red yeast rice will do it.  That's why it took both Tricor and Vytorin to get me from 280 down to around 135.

For someone who already has heart disease, like me, we need these extremely low levels.  This is already some medical research to show that with readings below 140, there is likely some reversal of the disease process.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #18 - 09/01/11 at 13:10:35

Actualy stoneage man didnt live to a ripe old age.
Neanderthal man lived to a ripe old age of 30. Very few lived longer.
Fact is it was'nt until the late 1800's and early 1900's that the average age began t go higher then 50 or so.
In the 1700's 40-50 was considered extreme old age.
The average for the male of the species stands at 76 right now with the female being an average of 83.
Better foods, eatting habits, medical and dental care are what has extended the average life span to what it is.

Margerine is only a couple of molicules different from basic plastic.
Bugs wont even eat it. Put a Big pat of it out and see how long it takes to disappear.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #19 - 09/03/11 at 20:14:59

Atkins was a cardiologist.  His regimen has lots of protein (if you want), can have lots of fat (if you want), lots of veggies and some fruit, lots of exercise, and reduced carbs.  My cholesterol ratio went from about 6:1 to 3.8:1 eight years ago.  Blood pressure went down as well.

For heart health, I like eating this way a LOT better than using drugs.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #20 - 09/05/11 at 10:56:47

Atkins diet?...umm no.

"When I saw the Atkin's diet come out, I just cringed," said UC Berkeley's Joanne Ikeda,

one of the nation's leading nutrition experts. "I think this stuff makes money for Dr. Atkins and not much more than that. If he was right, the Italians who have twice as much carbohydrates in their diet would be worse off than we are. But they have half the obesity compared to us. The epidemiological evidence is just not there."

But study or no study, health professionals say Atkins is simply an unhealthy approach that can't work in the long run.

From Times Online
February 10, 2004

Founder of Atkins diet 'was obese when he died'
BY AGENCIES
Dr Robert Atkins, creator of the famous low-carbohydrate diet, was clinically obese at the time of his death, according to medical reports made public today.

The New York medical examiner's records, which have been published by the Wall Street Journal, state that Dr Atkins weighed 260 lbs. when he died last April after being injured in a fall on an icy New York City street.

At 6ft tall, Dr Atkins, 72, would have qualified as obese, according to the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention's body mass index calculator.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #21 - 09/05/11 at 13:14:23

Starlifter wrote on 09/05/11 at 10:56:47:
Atkins diet?...umm no.

Founder of Atkins diet 'was obese when he died'
BY AGENCIES
Dr Robert Atkins, creator of the famous low-carbohydrate diet, was clinically obese at the time of his death, according to medical reports made public today.
The New York medical examiner's records, which have been published by the Wall Street Journal, state that Dr Atkins weighed 260 lbs. when he died last April after being injured in a fall on an icy New York City street.
At 6ft tall, Dr Atkins, 72, would have qualified as obese, according to the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention's body mass index calculator.

Your comments are not credible.  I assume it is because you know little about the Atkins regimen; you are basing your statements on very old information; and you don't care to know anything about the subject.  Recent information shows the Atkins regimen works well.   For example:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/07/16/health/main4266414.shtml

I am also living proof it works well.  I not only lost weight, my blood numbers all improved and my blood pressure went down.  Besides, I get to eat lots of FUN stuff (steaks, salads, pasta, eggs, burgers, fruit, etc.), not starve myself with pathetic quantities of rabbit food.

I can go to any restaurant and find all kinds of savory delights that are low carb.  
 -- My wife, a low fat lady, often has difficulty in finding anything that qualifies.  We have never left a restaurant because I couldn't find something enjoyable,... we have left many many times because SHE couldn't find acceptable rabbit food.  
 -- Lots of restaurants these days (Golden Corral, Shoney's, Cracker Barrel, etc.) have desserts for the growing population of diabetics.  I'm not diabetic, but these desserts have low or no sugar, which results in reduced carbs.  
 -- I can have apple pie ala mode.  She can't have dessert anywhere, unless it is cantalope or some such.

As to the baseless claim about Atkins being obese when he died Roll Eyes ... Snopes.com states, “Thanks to his death certificate, we know Atkins was 258 lbs at the time of his death.  Yet, according to … his medical records … Atkins weighed 195 pounds upon admission to the hospital 8 April 2003 following his fall. … During his week-long coma, as he deteriorated and his major organs failed, fluid retention and bloating dramatically distorted his body and left him at 258 pounds at the time of his death, a documented weight gain of over 60 pounds.”  At 258 pounds the 6’ Atkins would have been obese, but at his decades-long weight in the 195 area, he certainly was in much better shape than most his age.  Not skinny, maybe, but certainly not fat.

It is interesting how those that know so little about the Atkins approach dismiss it so categorically,.. with such ignorance.  I'm sure after you do a little homework, you won't say such silly things.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #22 - 09/05/11 at 14:14:30

My diet no vegetables and a donut for breakfast.I can do between 3 and 400 push ups.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #23 - 09/05/11 at 16:46:41

bill67 wrote on 09/05/11 at 14:14:30:
My diet no vegetables and a donut for breakfast.I can do between 3 and 400 push ups.

What about lunch and dinner and the midmorning snack and the afternoon snack and the evening goody?

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #24 - 09/05/11 at 18:21:28

"It is interesting how those that know so little about the Atkins approach dismiss it so categorically,.. with such ignorance.  I'm sure after you do a little homework, you won't say such silly things."

Yikes!..calm down, just reporting what I read at the time of his death.

Whatever works for you, go for it with my blessing.  Tongue

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #25 - 09/05/11 at 18:28:36

Starlifter wrote on 09/05/11 at 18:21:28:
"It is interesting how those that know so little about the Atkins approach dismiss it so categorically,.. with such ignorance.  I'm sure after you do a little homework, you won't say such silly things."

Yikes!..calm down, just reporting what I read at the time of his death.

Whatever works for you, go for it with my blessing.  Tongue

My my,... I didn't mean to ruffle your whatever,..

You did dismiss it categorically, and I did allow that it was probably just because your information was out of date.  I used the term "ignorance" objectively, not pejoratively.

Yes, at the time of his death, there were some grossly inaccurate statements about the situation.  Mrs. Atkins received public apologies later from Bloomberg and Ornish about their statements on his passing.

In any event, his ways still work quite well for those who can discipline themselves to give up donuts and potatoes.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #26 - 09/06/11 at 04:10:40

The Atkins diet puts a strain on the liver as all the blood sugars that you normally get easily from carbs have to be created from fat by the liver, which makes it work much harder than it should. The two people whom I know well who used the Atkins diet successfully to lose weight had their livers monitored closely while on the diet.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #27 - 09/06/11 at 10:08:43

This may be alittle long, but hopefully, informative:

My former law partner's father had been a college football player.  Like many others, his weight climbed dramatically after football, and by the time he was 50, he weighed over 350.

His knees were giving out due to the football injuries and the weight they were carrying.  He went to an orthopaedist to get knee replacements, who told him that since it wasn't a life threatening condition, the doc wouldn't operate on him at that weight as he posed too great an opertative risk.

So, the former player went on Adkins.  He lost over 100 pounds, no longer needed the knees replaced.  He lived only about another 10 years, and died of a heart attack on the golf course, but that can't be tied to Adkins, since he never had any cardiac workup before, so who knows what his state of cardiac health was.  My guess is that it was fairly poor, from all of the crap he ate to get so heavy in the first place.

Now for JOG -

I researched red yeast rice as you suggested.  Looks like it contains the same chemical as statin drugs do.  In fact, the FDA made several manufacturers quit making it, since people were getting statins without knowing it, and without the liver function tests periodically required of all who take Rx statins.  Many people taking the RYR also got the long muscle pain (myalgia) as do some who take Rx statins.

So, other than perhaps some cost savings, why take RYR, unsupervised by a doctor, and without getting the liver tests?  I think I'll stick with my Vytorin.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #28 - 09/07/11 at 14:19:58

I had what BC Ferries calls the All Aboard breakfast this morning.  Two over easy eggs, 6 pieces of bacon, three hash brown patties, two pieces of toast and coffee.

Its good to insulate the arteries now and again isn't it?   Wink

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #29 - 09/07/11 at 15:10:17

arteacher wrote on 09/06/11 at 04:10:40:
The Atkins diet puts a strain on the liver as all the blood sugars that you normally get easily from carbs have to be created from fat by the liver, which makes it work much harder than it should. The two people whom I know well who used the Atkins diet successfully to lose weight had their livers monitored closely while on the diet.

Two people is not a very large sample size.  That reduces your comment to anecdotal info.  

Done according to the real procedures, Atkins puts no additional strain on the liver.  More and more studies are coming out, several this year, with themes like "Atkins was right."

It is hard to sort out the real info from the hype, though, with the available reporting on Atkins.  So many "experts" have so much of their money and lives tied up in lowfat this, and lowfat that,.. they are very passionate about spreading all kinds of misinformation to discredit the low-carb lifestyle.

If you stick to peer-reviewed studies, and avoid the inherently biased websites (both pro and con) you'll find that Atkins is very healthful.  If you have a low level of carbs (especially from manufactured food with lots of sugars, or sugar-producing stuff) and eat good meat/fish, good veggies and fruits, and exercising regularly your heart and all the rest of the internal organs will be very pleased with you.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 00:27:21

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cholesterol breakfast.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.