Send Topic Print
Allen head bolt - help (Read 90 times)
Havezoom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Allen head bolt - help
08/28/11 at 08:01:48

Need just a bit of direction here to disassemble the font forks.  The Allen head bolts at the bottom of the front forks seem to be locked.  Using the supplied Ryca tool and using some force, they bend the hex key! no go. Oh, I have sprayed in a bit of WD40 and let it soak over night.  Anyone have a suggestion/solution?

IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Re: Allen head bolt - help
Reply #1 - 08/29/11 at 11:25:11

This is a question that should have been posted in the rubber side down section. But here ya go
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1309309896

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
Havezoom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/29/11 at 14:24:56

Thanks for the link.

Hum, well, yes.  I'm looking to take out the 8mm Allen bolt at the bottom of the forks to enable me to shorten the travel as recommended by Ryca.  Today’s attempt will be a new Allen wrench from Harbor Freight (new to me as of a few hours ago), the one with a 1/2 inch fitting and I'll use the huge Harbor Freight breaker bar.  If that does not work, I'll use the impact wrench. Will let you know.

IP Logged
Havezoom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/30/11 at 15:58:32

Happiness, the hefty beaker bar hooked into the 1/2 inch 8mm Allen wrench worked like a charm.

For sure the standard Allen wrench would not work, even with a regular wrench tied to it as was demonstrate in the Ryca video.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #4 - 08/30/11 at 17:03:00

Sometimes the thread lock can be stubborn. If you continue to have trouble, you might try heating the bolts with a small butane torch. That should soften the thread lock enough to get the bolts out. Of course, all the WD40 you used will catch fire.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Havezoom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/30/11 at 17:22:33

Thanks Buddha, I was able to get the bolts out with a wonderful tool as I said. Brut force was not working and the use of heat, well here in South Texas that is not really need!

Well, maybe.

Lesson, if all else fails use a two foot breaker bar tied into a quality wrench. Why do I always have to go through the same learning curve? Oh, well maybe because the last time I was on the tools was 45years ago.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/30/11 at 23:20:59

Pressure + impact is a good thing.. I put a 1/4" drive deep socket with a 6 " extension in it on alen wrenches, push till its in a good bind, then spank the socket with a small hammer,, quick taps,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:27:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Allen head bolt - help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.