Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
So I don't have an Exhaust Gasket Seal (Read 203 times)
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
So I don't have an Exhaust Gasket Seal
08/28/11 at 07:05:36

I just found out that when I bought my 2005 s40 there was no exhaust gasket seal... so I've put about 3000 miles on it without the seal.. does this cause any damage?

I'm gonna buy one, should I get one from the Suzuki shop or will one like this from eBay be fine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-LS650-86-06-Exhaust-Gasket-Seal-/170567...

Experts, please help my noob self  Cheesy

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: So I don't have an Exhaust Gasket Seal
Reply #1 - 08/28/11 at 08:04:08

Are you sure there is no seal? You have had the header off? Sometimes they stick in there and you have to take them out with a screwdriver.
If a previous owner had the exhaust off and did nor replace the seal he was very lucky not to have had an exhaust leak at the head.
If the exhaust was leaking you would have a ton of backfire issues, but I don't think it would do any permanent damage.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/28/11 at 08:07:10

That thing would sound like heck, & be sooty as a chimney if you had no exhaust gasket in there, It a crumpled up piece of aluminum,,Ill bet theres one in there,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #3 - 08/28/11 at 08:10:28

I've had the header pipe off a ton of times and I can't remember what's in there.. I just know that I only have popping issues when I decel.. so it may be stuck in there.. but I have no one around to help me check right now because I don't have a bike stand and I need someone to help with the engine bolts.. all I know is that when I take off the header pipe there is no gasket that comes off with it... but it may be stuck in there. It seems like it has a perfect seal honestly.

The only time I had a lot of backfire issues was when I played with the idle hand screw on the side near the choke...

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #4 - 08/28/11 at 08:47:04

You don't need a bike stand to take the exhaust off- thee is a third bolt that holds the kickstand bracket on. Just don't sit on it with the engine bolts undone.
Just a suggestion: if your going to wrench on it yourself why not get a Clymer's manual?
Also I found the Bikebandit fiche very helpful-http://www.bikebandit.com/2007-suzuki-motorcycle-ls650/o/m10380.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #5 - 08/28/11 at 09:17:15

Thanks for the manual links, I'm getting my feet wet before jumping in to completely wrenching it myself. Here are some pics of the original header pipe that was on the bike, it's a 2005 and had roughly 4k miles on it, was in very good condition. The owner gave me a new header pipe, which I installed with my screamin eagle muffler. Each time I've had the header pipe off I never noticed the exhaust gasket seal, I'm not saying that it isn't there because it was mentioned that it could be stuck in there.. but anyway, here are some pics from the original header:

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #6 - 08/28/11 at 10:51:43

I posted these pics so you could see if their was any unusual charring...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/28/11 at 10:53:40

Looks norml to me, Id say youve got the seal in the head,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #8 - 08/28/11 at 11:13:30

Good.. thanks for helping. Any idea how much I can get for this header pipe? I have 2 plus I'm planning on getting the RAASK drag pipe...

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #9 - 08/28/11 at 11:19:00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-S40-LS650-Savage-Boulevard-Header-exhau...

Here is a crappy one for $139.99.. mine just needs some blue-off and its shiny again... think the eBay price is legit?

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #10 - 08/28/11 at 16:42:31

Oh, Hell no. You can get a new chrome one for $170. No way would I pay $140 for that......thing.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #11 - 08/28/11 at 16:47:11

Oh well.. fools gold.. I put it in the marketplace anyway...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:24:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › So I don't have an Exhaust Gasket Seal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.