Send Topic Print
Ear Plugs (Read 289 times)
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Ear Plugs
08/27/11 at 17:23:20

As my learning curve inches into flatter territory - and higher speeds - I've found it desirable to use ear plugs, as recommended by most authorities. Tried 'em out for the first time today on a quick ride to Skull Valley (You want names? We got names!) & back. When I first inserted them I was concerned they'd cut too much sound but really, within moments I forgot about them and never felt isolated or out of touch with my surroundings (or fellow travelrers). A salutary benefit is that by screening out eardrum-damaging higher frequencies, they effectively enhance low frequencies, thereby muchly improving the sound of even a bone-stock S40...at least to the rider!

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Ear Plugs
Reply #1 - 08/27/11 at 18:31:05

thereby muchly improving the sound of even a bone-stock S40...at least to the rider!

at least to the rider!

& exactly who else matters?

Youll be very pleased in the years to come, being able to hear when others cant,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #2 - 08/27/11 at 19:12:37

I couldn't agree more. While I contemplate doing the Routy muffler-drill, I have minimal investment in what other people think. There's a guy around the corner with a straight-pipe Harley who evidently concurs, but I find that level of auditory posturing akin to playing earth-shaking base speakers, for all to hear/feel, in one's cage. Not that I've any opinions on the subject...

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 08/27/11 at 20:19:34

Not being able to hear well ruins your life in some ways.  I know about this.

Arizuno, you are doing the right thing.  Congratulations.  Keep it up.  

Make sure you are using the earplugs properly.  The squishy ones that you roll into a tube, slide into your outer ear canal, and then wait for the earplug to expand, work really well IF you get them in far enough.  If you don't, they don't work very well.

If you have them inserted, and you look into a mirror, they are probably okay if you can not see them at all.

Another test (just before you put your helmet on) is to lightly snap your fingers about two inches from your ears.  If you have to really concentrate to hear the noise, you are probably okay.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 08/28/11 at 10:32:17

The voices in head, get way too loud, when I use earplugs...

Very distracting...Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 08/28/11 at 12:15:51

Serowbot wrote on 08/28/11 at 10:32:17:
The voices in head, get way too loud, when I use earplugs...

Very distracting...Huh...

Thats disturbing,, which is, I suppose, the result of being "disturbed"..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
scottnj

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

the 'Nati, OH
Reply #6 - 08/28/11 at 14:09:49

Had never worn earplugs before -- always wear a full face helmet and thought that was cutting the noise.  After reading this, though, I tried some soft foam earplugs when I rode about 120 miles today, some highway and some two-laners.  Definitely liked them on the highway, and found them pretty comfortable to wear.  Will use them from here on out to protect my hearing long-term.  Thanks for reminding me to give them a try!

2007 S40 (Supertrapp, 6" Ed. L forward controls, K&N, & some other stuff)
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #7 - 08/28/11 at 14:46:46

I failed to give due credit to webbikeworld.com, which covers this subject very thoroughly and reviews a number of earplugs. And which convinced me ear plugs were a high priority. I got a box of Moldex Pura-Fit 6800 from Amazon - much cheaper than buying a few at a time from the drugstore. Although they're "disposable", they can be used several times before you toss them. And each pair is separately packaged so you can always keep a few in a jacket pocket, saddlebags, etc.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 08/28/11 at 14:47:54

Sporting goods @ WalMart has some soft rubber ones with ridges & theyre connected by a sting, so you can pop them out & have them around your neck, They feel better & work beter than the foam, too,, & thyre cheap..

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 08/28/11 at 16:04:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/28/11 at 14:47:54:
Sporting goods @ WalMart has some soft rubber ones with ridges & theyre connected by a sting, so you can pop them out & have them around your neck, They feel better & work beter than the foam, too,, & thyre cheap..

Whether or not they feel better varies a lot from one person's ear to another.

For me, the most comfortable are the EAR type foam plugs that can be used a few times each before they get tossed.   I started using plugs in the early 70's when F-4 flying was doing a lot of damage.  I tried everything from wax to foam to plastic cones to custom cast plugs.  I always seemed to revert to the foam cheapies.

You can buy them in quantity for several cents each from industrial supply places like Fastenal.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 08/28/11 at 17:43:50

Hey, if your ears are easy to please, fine,, Ive just got ears that prefer a gourmet ear plug,, youre a cheap one, you are,,

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 08/28/11 at 19:32:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/28/11 at 17:43:50:
youre a cheap one, you are,,

I prefer to think of myself as simply being cost-effective,....

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #12 - 08/28/11 at 21:04:23

Many times I have been in the cage with all the windows rolled up and thought my engine had thrown a piston or something when I see a vehicle next to me with some teenaged nut blasting out some hideous ignorant noise from speakers the size of small refrigerators in his car.

By the time these kids are 40 they will have hearing-aids the size of wind-up alarm clocks hanging out of their ears.

As for ear plugs on the bike, don't leave home without them.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #13 - 08/29/11 at 10:33:14

Ear plugs make it to hard to hear my music.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #14 - 08/29/11 at 10:40:58

"I started using plugs in the early 70's when F-4 flying was doing a lot of damage."

Is that why you "speak" so loudly here o9n the forum? Wink

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 10:20:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Ear Plugs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.