Ear Plugs (Read 289 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Ear Plugs
Reply #15 - 08/29/11 at 10:44:30

The only problem with ear plugs is you can push wax further into your ears. You need to clean the ear canals frequently to avoid buildup. Some have damaged ear drums by packing wax to hard against the drum.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #16 - 08/29/11 at 12:14:21

the foams are good the corded foams are easy to keep up with and the corded "christmas tree" looking ones are good since they are re-useable - the foams are meant to be 1 time use - they hold bacteria cant really be cleaned so they need to be discarded after 1 or maybe two uses (a days worth of riding). Also keep in mind the NRR value is important in deciding what to wear...Noise Reduction Ratio - most foams are in the mid 30's and the molded ones (re-useable) are in the mid 20's NRR values......the higher the NRR the more protected you are.

re-usables
http://www.labsafety.com/hearing-protection/reusable-earplugs-24417350/
disposables
http://www.labsafety.com/hearing-protection/disposable-earplugs-24417492/

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #17 - 08/30/11 at 20:03:33

arteacher wrote on 08/29/11 at 10:44:30:
The only problem with ear plugs is you can push wax further into your ears. You need to clean the ear canals frequently to avoid buildup. Some have damaged ear drums by packing wax to hard against the drum.

I used to worry about that too,.. but then a USAF MD told me the foam roll-em-skinny, stick-them-in, and wait-for-them-to-expand plugs do just the opposite.  

They actually pull wax OUT of your ears because when they go in they are about 3/16” in diameter, then they slowly expand to contact all of the inner surface.  When you pull them out later, they drag some of the wax out with them.   When you do this over and over again, you are actually gently cleaning out your ears.

I will agree, though, that the kinds of plugs that are fat when you stuff them in, and are forced to conform to the inner shape of the ear canal will probably push wax further in.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #18 - 08/31/11 at 11:09:03

Gyrobob -

You still flying?  I am, and hope to never give it up.

I started wearing both earplugs and a headset in a Beech 18 - nothing like a pair of howling R-985s to rattle your ears.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 08/31/11 at 19:26:29

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 08/31/11 at 11:09:03:
Gyrobob -

You still flying?  I am, and hope to never give it up.

I started wearing both earplugs and a headset in a Beech 18 - nothing like a pair of howling R-985s to rattle your ears.

A Beech H 18?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #20 - 08/31/11 at 20:01:04

I haven't flown in months (med cert issue) but that is about to be cleared up.  I am building a 2-seat gyro, and my hangar-mate has a Cessna 195.

I teach in the sims at Delta, but I don't fly professionally anymore, except for minor things like flight reviews, ICCs, etc.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #21 - 09/01/11 at 05:29:33

JOG -

I've flown an H model, but most of the time in 18s was actually in the C-45 model, an old one with low roof line and low tail.

Gyrobob -

I understand med issues.  I'm now exercising sport and sport instructor privileges, even though I have a commercial and CFII.  Glad to hear that your issue will be cleaned up.  Mine relates to having two stents put in 7 years ago, so I'm stable and fit to fly, but I won't risk going for a special issuance medical cert.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
mscepu101

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 09/01/11 at 19:52:17

I started using earplugs this year and can not believe the benefit.  I wear a full face helmet with earplugs and the reduction in "wind stress" is amazing!

I enjoy my rides much more and will continue to wear them in the future.  I use "foamies" or "christmas trees" depending on which feel more comfortable for the day.  It my "sound" odd but somedays the "christmas trees" hurt so I go with the "foamies" but other days the "foamies" just won't go in correctly.

Unfortunately, I cannot convince other riders to try them.  I am sure if the MSF course had you try them more riders would use them.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 09/02/11 at 14:35:01

There was a Beech H-18 on the cover of Flying Magazine when I was in 5th or 6th grade. I thot it was The Best Lookin thing Id ever seen,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #24 - 09/02/11 at 19:29:52

I don't know WTH this has to do with ear plugs, but I started this string so...I always thought the Staggerwing Beech was the best looking aircraft I'd ever seen. Still do. Probably best to wear 'plugs in that, too.

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #25 - 09/02/11 at 19:47:01

I have an uncle that had a Beechcraft QueenAir and boy was that thing earplug-worthy too.  

Mack's silicone plugs (the purple christmas tree/fishbone plugs, available at walmart) are my earplugs of choice, very good sound attenuation and very comfortable.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 10:17:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › Ear Plugs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.