Confusion... (Read 162 times)
jhnzeigler
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Confusion...
08/26/11 at 13:24:28

I need help.

I found that my cam chain tensioner is out of spec. I called the suzuki tech and he told me that the timing chain needed to be replaced. Then he told me it would be 450 in labor alone.

Now I know that this topic has been covered in other posts and i have seen how others have fixed there bikes. My question is with the upgraded cam chain tensioner does the timing chain have to be replaced? Does this upgrade increase the life of the timing chain?

I have to believe that there is a fix to this problem that will also last longer then 13k miles. I drive that in a year and there is no way this bike should take over 450 dollars in matience in a single year.

If any one has help on this matter it would be great. Im just confused on the topic and would like to figure out a way to replace the timing chain and cam chain tensioner to make things less expensive in the future or in the present.

Thanks for the help.
Ziggy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Confusion...
Reply #1 - 08/26/11 at 14:06:39

The "fix" does not make the chain last any longer but it does allow full use of it's life.
Currently you can only get half the life out of the chain before the plunger falls out of the housing.  The verslavy gives you an extra hole for additional adjustment.  In addition to locking the plunger in the housing for safety.

And do the work yourself, it's not that hard.

WWW   IP Logged
jhnzeigler
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/26/11 at 14:16:02

Do you know where I can order the Timing Chain and guide?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 08/26/11 at 14:26:31

Ziggy, look up jest above the very darkest blue bar up above -- so dark it is almost grey.  See this right above that dark blue bar?

SuzukiSavage.com>General Category>Rubber Side Down!>Post Reply (Re.Confusion...)

Double click on the General Category part of it  ....

Now select The Marketplace ....

When you get there, look up in the Stickies and you will find  -----  Re: Verslavy Tensioner Assy (no stock) !!!

That's his hand puppet that he wears to sell you his invention .....
..... or you could just talk to the man with his hand up the puppet's butt who just answered your question -- either way actually works pretty good.

But only one way is the approved way ....

"Oh great and powerful Oz .... please grant me my brave heart, please let me go home, and what the heck was that last one?   (I ferget) .... "

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jhnzeigler
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/26/11 at 14:35:18

Ok PM sent to Verslavy...Last issue is the chain. If it is still in spec for length, and i use the new tensioner, then I should be able to drive more life out of it correct?
Ziggy

YUP !!

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #5 - 08/26/11 at 19:02:03

Correct.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #6 - 08/27/11 at 14:08:05

jhnzeigler wrote on 08/26/11 at 14:35:18:
Ok PM sent to Verslavy...Last issue is the chain. If it is still in spec for length, and i use the new tensioner, then I should be able to drive more life out of it correct?
Ziggy

YUP !!

Hmmm.. could be!

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1312808033

your mileage may vary..

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #7 - 08/27/11 at 14:34:00

I got my new timing chain (and a bunch of other parts) from cheapcycleparts.com. Replacing it isn't hard, just one of those things you'd rather not do unless you also had other reasons to mess with the engine. That's why the labor is so much. I did it myself, but I had the engine out of the frame and the whole top end off to do a big bore conversion.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 03:20:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Confusion...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.