Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Can I write my wife out of my will? (Read 364 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Can I write my wife out of my will?
Reply #15 - 08/26/11 at 20:19:34

verslagen1 wrote on 08/26/11 at 20:05:06:
Gyrobob wrote on 08/26/11 at 19:53:14:
The son-in-law feels bad for his wife (one of the daughters) because the father gave everything to his son, illegally, and everyone let his son get away with it.

The SIL should feel bad for his wife, but not because she was cheated out of any money.  But because the old fock didn't love his family.  And it looks as if the young fock will follow in his footsteps.

The fact he didn't care anything about the females was a given.  They had all gotten used to that.  So, there was nothing new about the attitude shown in the will.  The daughter didn't feel any new grief over that,... she was hoping, though, to use some of what should have been an inheritance to help fund college for her three granddaughters.  The three granddaughters are in a USAF family fathered by a TSgt (currently).  An E-6 with four dependents has to live very frugally to save up for three kids' college.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #16 - 08/26/11 at 23:56:51

OR

the kids enlist into an ROTC program or similar...
They will then get pais to study, which ain't bad if you think about it...

IF you want to stay away from the heat in case of a war / posting to a Combat Area, just graduate and acquire skills which will keep you out of trouble.

That's the way it works in Europe.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #17 - 08/27/11 at 06:57:24

mpescatori wrote on 08/26/11 at 23:56:51:
OR

the kids enlist into an ROTC program or similar...
They will then get pais to study, which ain't bad if you think about it...

IF you want to stay away from the heat in case of a war / posting to a Combat Area, just graduate and acquire skills which will keep you out of trouble.

That's the way it works in Europe.

OR

Work two jobs and go to school full time, even if you have a non-working wife and a kid.  Ignore the government handouts.

I have way more degrees than I ever needed, BUT, I paid for them all myself, while supporting a wife and various quantities of offspring.  

BTW, I don't like your attitude.  While being completely legal, I find it offensive to scheme in such a way so that you steal the money from other taxpayers, and yet avoid the real responsibility of being in the military.  I suppose more than being bothered by your offensive attitude, I am bothered by the way the bureaucrats have set up such a "spread the wealth" system.

I admire those who use no one else's money, and do it on their own.

I also admire those who serve in ways that do not intentionally try to avoid any "heat."   Those who try to avoid the heat and yet reap the benefits are cousins to draft dodgers.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #18 - 08/27/11 at 07:23:08

So!,... getting back to the basis of this thread,....

It appears that generally one spouse can NOT deny the surviving spouse everything.  If the will so states, the will is nullified, and the estate is split up according to that state's probate procedures.

I wonder which of these wills would be found reasonable by most courts:
1. The surviving spouse gets nothing, and the kids get the all of the $500,000.
2. The surviving spouse gets $100, and the kids get $499,900.
3. The surviving spouse and the kids split it evenly.
4. The surviving spouse gets $499,000 and the kids split up $1,000.
5. The entire half million goes to a nephew, disowning spouse and kids.
6. The entire half million goes to a charity, disowning spouse and kids.
7. The surviving spouse gets $10,000, two of the three kids each get $10,000, and the remaining kid gets $470,000.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 08/27/11 at 18:32:25

Like I said, I doubt the will can leave the spouse less than they would get in a divorce.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #20 - 08/27/11 at 20:10:58

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/27/11 at 18:32:25:
Like I said, I doubt the will can leave the spouse less than they would get in a divorce.

Probably.

How, then does that relate to the way the male gets hosed in a divorce?  My wife never worked, and the kids lived at home for maybe a third of our 43 years of wedded bliss, but if we decided to split up, I'd be living in a dinky apartment eating vienna sausage, still paying for all her medical bills, and putting the RYCA CS-1 on craigslist.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 08/27/11 at 21:24:56

Theres a big property out west of us, The guy raises horses, expensive horses,, the fence is just great, you can look at it & see MONEY dripping out of it. Rumor has it he was aware of the fact that his wife was gonna divorce him, so he spent a Huge Load O $$$ to build that fence.. IDK if he kept the place,, or if the story is true, but I like it..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #22 - 08/27/11 at 21:48:28

I know that if I croak first, in Wa my wife would have gotten everything. Period, end of story, that is how it works there. Ditto if she went first. Community property state.

Here in TN it is kinda peculiar. Holographic wills were legally recognized until a couple years ago. That means handwritten, no attorney necessary. Now you need a will or trust paperwork on file with the county clerk's office. I know my father in law set up both, leaving everything but a few CDs for the grandkids and a raggedy old sail boat to my wife. We get the rest, 54 acres of jungle, a Katrina kablooied house in MS, an 1841 plantation manor house (tinder box) and a bunch of worn out farm equipment.

His oldest son (and name sake) gets the raggedy rotten full of water and covered over in wild roses sailboat, but only if he comes to get it. If not, we're stuck with it too.

Don't upset your parents by marrying the wrong woman, it will come back to haunt you... Grin

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #23 - 08/28/11 at 00:56:37

Bury her in the backyard and you get all of it!

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #24 - 08/28/11 at 16:47:42

Plus bigger tomatoes. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #25 - 08/28/11 at 17:17:31

who cares  your dead, cant take it with ya,  spend it quick....

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #26 - 08/28/11 at 21:33:59

"Take her to Aruba for a vacation."

Grin Grin Grin Good one Bill.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #27 - 08/29/11 at 12:21:28

Gyrobob -

You shouldn't insult Col. Pescatori - one of the true intellects on this forum.

You see, I went thru college, partially paid for by ROTC money.  My ROTC check paid my tuition.  I worked full time for the rest - books, and general living money.  And I'm proud of it too - I didn't run to Canada in the mid 1960s.

After returning from active duty, I paid for my own law school, and didn't use my GI Bill money, I saved that to get a couple of different jet type ratings while I flew as a corporate pilot to pay my way thru law school.  And I don't mind letting anyone know that I took full advantage of both ROTC and the GI Bill - that's what those programs are there for.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #28 - 08/30/11 at 18:22:32

If I hadn't told a LtCol to go F*** himself, the Army would have paid for 3 years of my college. Only scholarship I had.

Did the same thing when I was active duty in the Navy and got tossed out. Three months of inpatient rehab my a$$, f-u.

I have authority issues... Roll Eyes

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 08/30/11 at 19:34:05

Got an honorable D/C after 3 years, I signed up for 6.. They told me they put a code on my DD214 that would keep me from ever wearing a military uniform again,, something about me not "being the right kind of guy", for military service.. I was told by the CO that I was being discharged & 3 hours later I was driving away,, 2 or 3 bird colonels hand carried my papers through CBPO.. or so I was told,, 3 hours is a pretty swift DC.. There were some pretty good reasons they wanted me gone,, I dont want to go into it here..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 10:22:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › Can I write my wife out of my will?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.