Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Can I write my wife out of my will? (Read 364 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Can I write my wife out of my will?
08/26/11 at 12:40:40

Can a husband or wife stipulate in his/her will the surviving spouse gets none of the estate?

We have a few investments, a paid-for home, and stuff (vehicles, furniture, etc.)  

We live in Georgia.  

One of us thinks the surviving spouse can NOT be written out of the will; the survivor gets ALL of the estate.

The other one thinks the opposite; either person can set up their will so the survivor gets little or nothing.  

Which is true?  (or are there some other possible outcomes?)

I realize this post will generate a some opinions, some sarcasm, and some funny remarks.   I accept that.  Along with the "entertaining" commentary, I'm hoping some of you might have some knowledge in this area and can provide some useful info.

Thanks large.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Re: Can I write my wife out of my will?
Reply #1 - 08/26/11 at 13:03:27

Gyro -

The laws of each state are somewhat different.  I'm an Ohio lawyer, not adnmitted to practice in GA.

You need to get the advice of a competent Georgia lawyer, not a bunch of motorcycle enthusiasts, unless they are also competent GA lawyers.

In Ohio, a surviving spouse can "elect to take against the will", which means that he/she gets the same proportion of the deceased spouse's estate as if the deceased had no will.

Spouses only get it all if there are no children - if there are children  (called "issue" in legalese), the spouse shares the estate with those issue.

But all of this varies with the laws of each state - go see a lawyer if this question is genuine.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 08/26/11 at 13:08:44

But can it be specified in the will that the spouse is to receive nothing??

I can't imagine doing that, and I'd divorce his butt, but I think that's the question.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #3 - 08/26/11 at 13:10:41

Not in a state like Ohio that lets a spouse "take against the will".  In that case, it's as if there is no will.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 08/26/11 at 13:18:55

Oh, I see.  But that kinda nullifies even having a will, doesn't it....  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #5 - 08/26/11 at 13:33:27

Sometimes, in some states, you can acheive that goal with a pre-nuptuial agreement, entered into before marriage and with full disclosure of each other's assets and liabilities.  These agreements are disfavored almost everywhere, and are high scrutinized by the courts.

In all of the wills I've written in nearly 40 years of practice, I've never had a client want to disinherit a spouse - if you hate her or him that much - divorce him or her.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #6 - 08/26/11 at 13:33:50

NC  - my mother in law left her 4th husband a life estate in the home and it's contents as well as her car - there was no residue clause (who gets what) specifically mentioned - the old man stole her money co-mingled it with his bank account - was removed as executor by probabte judge more than 1 year after her death - and the estate is tied up with a "public adminsitrator" who is now handling the estate more than 2years after her death - and this P.A. does not communicate anything she is doing with the estate to the "object of her bounty" the children of the deceased (wife's mother)....bottom line the old man was not to recv any $$ or anything else besides the life estate (right to live in the house) and the car......he took everything including jewelry, family heirlooms etc..... and removed them from the property sold them who knows what he did with some of it....he died 6 weeks ago - good bye good riddence!

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
scottnj

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

the 'Nati, OH
Reply #7 - 08/26/11 at 14:16:37

I'm an Ohio lawyer like Jerry, and I also wouldn't give you any real advice in a public forum like this and not on Georgia law.   But if you're just asking in order to settle your "bar bet" about who's right, I don't think either of you is 100% right.  The law of pretty much every state provides for some minimum support that a surviving spouse can claim regardless of what the will says.  Georgia is known as one of the states that provides the fewest rights to a surviving spouse, so if your goal is to leave as little to each other as possible you're probably living in the right place.

I hope this is just a joke, but if you really want to make any changes to your will, consult a Georgia attorney.

If you really want to make sure your wife doesn't get anything from your estate, just spend all your money now on stuff that doesn't retain any value, like parts and gas for your savage/s40.

2007 S40 (Supertrapp, 6" Ed. L forward controls, K&N, & some other stuff)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/26/11 at 15:03:16

I doubt you could will more away from her than you could walk away with in a divorce.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 08/26/11 at 15:05:31

good advice, spend it or give it away.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 08/26/11 at 16:02:10

Take her to Aruba for a vacation.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 08/26/11 at 17:12:51

I hope you're asking this from work,... or you might end up,...
Gyrobobbitt... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #12 - 08/26/11 at 17:18:14

You can put anything in a will that you desire. Don't know how it'll hold up in court tho Wink

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 08/26/11 at 19:53:14

So, the situation is probably that no matter what, the surviving spouse gets something out of the estate, even though the will might say "he/she gets nothing, the kid gets it all."

I should have phrased the question differently.  It is possible the reader might get the impression that I wanted to write my old lady out of the will.  If I could redo it I would ask, "Can one spouse write the other spouse out of the will?"

Out in California, I knew a guy who wrote his will thusly:

When I croak:
 - The wife gets nothing, I disown her.
 - My daughters get nothing, I disown them.
 - My SON gets it all.

A son-in-law (disowned daughter's hubby) complained about that, but the daughters were too intimidated by the SON to do anything about it. So, when the old fart kicked off, the SON got it all, which wasn't much, except for a house in silicon valley.  The house was not in good shape, but the lot alone was probably worth a mil or so.

The son-in-law feels bad for his wife (one of the disowned daughters) because the old fart gave everything to his SON, illegally, and everyone let his SON get away with it.  

When the old fart's wife croaked, she didn't understand how she had been robbed, and didn't set up her will to properly handle what she rightfully owned. So, the SON has the house, and the daughters have nothing.

The only silver lining in the cloud is that the house is worth less than half of what it was several years ago, and the property taxes are eating the SON alive.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 08/26/11 at 20:05:06

Gyrobob wrote on 08/26/11 at 19:53:14:
The son-in-law feels bad for his wife (one of the daughters) because the father gave everything to his son, illegally, and everyone let his son get away with it.

The SIL should feel bad for his wife, but not because she was cheated out of any money.  But because the old fock didn't love his family.  And it looks as if the young fock will follow in his footsteps.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 10:26:28

General CategoryThe Cafe › Can I write my wife out of my will?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.