Send Topic Print
Hurricane Irene (Read 286 times)
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Hurricane Irene
08/25/11 at 21:35:44

Anyone doing anything to store their bikes for Hurricane Irene?  I live in an apartment in Boston, and usually park my bike outside.  I'm thinking it'd be a real good idea to store my bike inside for the weekend, seeing as there are 80mph winds predicted.

Thoughts anyone?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Hurricane Irene
Reply #1 - 08/25/11 at 21:47:04

A huge ziplock?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #2 - 08/25/11 at 21:49:30

I'm worried about the bike getting blown over.  I'll put a cover on it for sure, if I leave it outside.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/25/11 at 22:01:24

You must have an idea which way the wind should be coming from, can you put it behind a building, preferably one that will still be there when the wind stops?
If you Can roll it inside, naturally, thats the answer Id choose,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/25/11 at 22:09:16

Howitzer wrote on 08/25/11 at 21:49:30:
I'm worried about the bike getting blown over.  I'll put a cover on it for sure, if I leave it outside.

Don't put a cover on it.  All it'll do is catch the wind like a sail.  But I would do something to protect the tin.  Then wrap it up tightly with a rope.  Put the seat up against something that's not going to blow away and tie it to it.

I'd put it inside if you could.

Good luck.

WWW   IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #5 - 08/26/11 at 06:04:21

I always have wondered about the electrics on the bike; switches and stuff on the handlebars. Are they water tight? I don't leave mine out in any weather, and have only ever been caught in a light rain once. The wind I would worry about. Hurricanes blow cars around. Inside seems the best choice. I have known several guys that store their bike in the living room during winter. It's what I would do. Good luck and be safe.

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #6 - 08/26/11 at 06:04:33

If you know anyone with a garage i'd ask them if you could put it inside over the weekend.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #7 - 08/26/11 at 07:39:25

I already tried asking the mechanics shop next door if I could store it there, but I have two other ideas at the moment.  One is to store the bike inside my lab at school.  I scoped out the handicapped pathway, and I'm pretty sure I can fit my bike through all of the doorways.  

The second idea is to put it in a dead end alleyway.  My apartment building is five stories tall, and has a narrow, dead end alleyway cut into the building.  I'm thinking if I leave the bike against the wall, I might be able to get it into a dead spot where the wind won't flow.  

I know the cover will act like a sail for the wind, but I don't want to risk water going into the carbs via the air box.  Is that possible, or even bad?

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #8 - 08/26/11 at 08:10:21

I would check that alley for downspouts and roof runoff potential - could flood the alley if you get enough rain and the storm sewers get overwhelmed - inside would be my only option or way of thinking, if it were me - also since we are talking boston - how close to any major water ways, or even streams?......think high ground and inside - water comes up quick in these things and then sometimes takes a while to receed.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 08/26/11 at 08:39:38

Howitzer wrote on 08/26/11 at 07:39:25:

I know the cover will act like a sail for the wind, but I don't want to risk water going into the carbs via the air box.  Is that possible, or even bad?

I wouldn't cover the handlebars then, and leave the wheels as uncovered as possible.  The take a rope and wind it around the bike so the cover is held tight to it.  If you could find a piece of foam to put over the tank that be great.

The last storm that went thru, someone was telling us how the cover came loose and pulled the bike down.  So take care.

WWW   IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #10 - 08/26/11 at 08:57:12

Yeah, I'm starting to think the only option is to store it inside.  Worst comes to worst, I can go find a commercial parking structure.  There are some that are enclosed, as opposed to open air.  However, those tend to be below ground, and I'd have to trust the sewage drains to be able to beat any flooding.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #11 - 08/26/11 at 08:58:47

weracerc wrote on 08/26/11 at 08:10:21:
I would check that alley for downspouts and roof runoff potential - could flood the alley if you get enough rain and the storm sewers get overwhelmed - inside would be my only option or way of thinking, if it were me - also since we are talking boston - how close to any major water ways, or even streams?......think high ground and inside - water comes up quick in these things and then sometimes takes a while to receed.

The Charles River runs right between Boston and Cambridge, so I'm maybe a quarter mile from the nearest river.  Of course, Boston has a harbor too.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #12 - 08/26/11 at 11:21:25

Irene is supposed to track right over Boston. On Sunday. They are calling for LOTS of rain. LOTS. 100 mph winds, 20-30 ft. waves, 12-15 ft. storm surge, from the south.  And LOTS of rain. Low lying area's flooding. Possible tornado's. As most have said I would go for high ground, indoors. Only safe bet.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 08/26/11 at 13:14:14

Get on the bike and ride it WEST!   Wink

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #14 - 08/26/11 at 14:15:20

hey all,

I talked to my advisor, and he's letting me put my bike in our lab for the Hurricane.  Thanks for all the advice.  Keeping it indoors is still the safest thing to do.

I'll post an update after the storm to let you know how it went.  Maybe it'll turn out to be a bust  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:23:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hurricane Irene

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.