Battery out of water? (Read 101 times)
cafdad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern IL
Battery out of water?
08/25/11 at 18:31:17

I just noticed both my wife's and my 09's don't show anything in the battery check window.  I honestly don't know if I have ever checked this before (only have 1,300 miles).  I did have service at 600 but haven't checked it since.

I was planning on riding to work tomorrow (75 miles roundtrip).  How critical is it that I add water.  Can I make the trip without damaging the battery?

Thanks!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Battery out of water?
Reply #1 - 08/25/11 at 18:48:19

Add water as soon as you can, distilled or deionized.
I got a battery in a wrecked bike that was w/o water and uncharged for god knows how long.  filled it up, charged it, worked great for a year or so.

WWW   IP Logged
cafdad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern IL
Reply #2 - 08/25/11 at 19:09:12

Thanks for the reply.  Do you have to remove the battery completely to add water?

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 08/25/11 at 19:12:41

Afraid you got to take battery out to add water. Not hard, just aggravating.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
cafdad
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern IL
Reply #4 - 09/01/11 at 17:59:10

Just a quick followup to provide some learning experience to other newbies and a laugh for the old timers.

I estimate the whole process of removing the battery should have taken less than 10 minutes.  Unfortunately the the screw on one of the cover was mostly stripped before I started and completely stripped before I was able to remove it.  So of course this meant a trip to the hardware to get a screw extractor (didn't already have one).  Finally get the screw removed, and the battery out of the bike.  Low and behold the water level was perfectly fine.  I couldn't see it through the window on the bike but could see it just fine holding it in front of my face.  Of course then I had to go back to buy a screw to replace the one that was stripped (and M5 truss screw in case anyone is wondering).  Of course they didn't have a black screw, so bought the stainless and painted it.  

Well at least I got the experience of removing the battery right.  Tongue

IP Logged
mojo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW MO
Reply #5 - 09/01/11 at 19:30:49

Sounds like my experiences.  In my shop, there is no such thing as a "10 minute job"!  Glad it all worked out for you.   Embarrassed

"Never Say Never"
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 09/01/11 at 19:37:20

Sorry. We could have told you that you can't see the water through the gap in the battery box. "Someday" I'm going to fix that with a sabre saw and a fine cutting blade. Or get a sealed battery.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 09/02/11 at 15:22:24

That was the very first thing I did when I bought my bike. And that was right after reading here about how easy everything on this bike was to work on.
I didn't trust anybody here after that experience !! Smiley

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:13:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery out of water?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.