YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reserve...
08/25/11 at 08:03:53

Do you ever use it?...
If you don't,... it's a good idea to turn to reserve 3 or 4 times a year.
You don't have to be out of gas,... you can do it with the tank full,... but, switching over to reserve once in a while will let gas flow through that passage, and turning to it will keep your petcock knob moving freely...
Ride 10 miles or so, then turn it back...

Thrilling,.. huh?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: Reserve...
Reply #1 - 08/25/11 at 08:13:25

Just don't forget to turn it back...  Shocked

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
scottnj

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

the 'Nati, OH
Reply #2 - 08/25/11 at 09:06:46

I used it last week at 65 mph when I ran out of gas on the highway.  I suggest switching to reserve when stopped if you're doing it voluntarily, although doing it at speed can be pretty exciting.

2007 S40 (Supertrapp, 6" Ed. L forward controls, K&N, & some other stuff)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/25/11 at 10:08:15

The design makes pulling to Prime easier for me,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 08/25/11 at 12:20:22

Had to use it a couple days ago for the first time in a while.... at about 55 mph, started to run out.  Pinched the snot outta my finger...  Ouchie!

A little regular workout with it might have helped the lever action too.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 08/25/11 at 13:01:58

I found an unexpected advantage on my bike with the Raptor petcock. I new I was low on gas after installing the Raptor and it sputtered about a mile from home. I was crossing two rr tracks and it shook the tank enough to catch and go on about 100 feet. In that time I switched to Res and went on. The reserve is less on the Raptor, but you can wiggle your bars and keep it running like NASCAR at the end of a race. The OE petcock on mine never just quit like I've heard some on here, but the Raptor does give me a little more warning. Just so's you know. Smiley  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #6 - 08/25/11 at 16:01:10

I use it frequently as gas stations out in the boonies are kind of far apart. I know where all the stations are, so I like to use up the gas in the reserve.

Having said that, the little lever is a bear to turn. Are all of them like that?  Tongue

« Last Edit: 08/26/11 at 14:31:00 by Starlifter »  

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 08/25/11 at 16:06:42

Yes Star all the bikes I have had were like this,Hard to turn.If it was 1/2 inch longer it would be easier. I guess they have to be are they would leak.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #8 - 08/25/11 at 16:16:07

Mine is a total pregnant dog to turn as well. I've run out on the freeway before, and it was my first time at speed, so I just coasted to the side of the road. It's an interesting sensation to be cruising at 65mph and have your engine cut out. It's very quiet and kinda cool. Although I imagine it can be dangerous.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 08/25/11 at 16:42:12

Yup, and even when you can get the lever to move it still seems like the bike wants to die out on you anyway.  

Fuel recovery on Reserve isn't real fast if you are stumbling and trying to keep on rolling, mine would take over a minute to start to get back up to full speed again.   At the end when it got really sick, it would never make it -- it would stop me by the roadside for a few minutes until the float level went back up some.

That's when you see you float sticking on you occasionally, when the bowl runs dry due to "no supply" of gasoline -- then you got to fiddle with Prime to try to bypass the vac function entirely.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 08/25/11 at 16:59:57

Fuel recovery on Reserve isn't real fast if you are stumbling and trying to keep on rolling, mine would take over a minute to start to get back up to full speed again.   At the end when it got really sick, it would never make it -- it would stop me by the roadside for a few minutes until the float level went back up some.

Thats another reason I use prime when it starts cutting out,, I want gas in it,. NOW.

You Can put an extension on the lever if its too stiff,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 08/25/11 at 17:03:38

Now that I think about it,... if you run out of gas, with a vacuum petcock,... you usually pull in the clutch to coast, and there is no engine vacuum to allow reserve to work...
So,.. you probably want to turn to prime... Huh...

One more thing to consider with a vacuum petcock... see if you remember that while you panic with the knob on the highway...
Grin Grin Grin...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 08/25/11 at 17:05:04

Dont have to think, reach down & pull on the lever,,

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 08/25/11 at 18:01:41

Serowbot wrote on 08/25/11 at 17:03:38:
Now that I think about it,... if you run out of gas, with a vacuum petcock,... you usually pull in the clutch to coast, and there is no engine vacuum to allow reserve to work...

Think a little longer... if you're reachin' down to mess with the petcock... what ain't chu doin'?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 08/25/11 at 18:04:40

Duh!...(dopeslap!)... Huh...

Grin Grin Grin...

On the other hand (pun intended)...
... when my engine craps out at highway speeds.... you'd be amazed what I can do... and the trouble I can get myself in...
Huh...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 05:31:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Reserve...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.