Send Topic Print
Carb help (Read 229 times)
bigdave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carb help
08/25/11 at 04:17:48

I think my carb is dirty but I don't know how to take it off. I have a 98 Suzuki savage. I don't know much mechanical either. So any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to know how to clean,adjust,& how to take off/put on the carb.  Also,about what speeds does everbody use in different gears? I think I may be running high since I don't have a rpm meter.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Carb help
Reply #1 - 08/25/11 at 04:36:27

bigdave wrote on 08/25/11 at 04:17:48:
I think my carb is dirty but I don't know how to take it off. I have a 98 Suzuki savage. I don't know much mechanical either. So any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to know how to clean,adjust,& how to take off/put on the carb.  Also,about what speeds does everbody use in different gears? I think I may be running high since I don't have a rpm meter.

Dave,
Unlike myself, there are those here that know this carb really well.
They will be here w/ help as soon as they wake up Smiley

If its just basic carb cleaning info you want, ok, but they may be able to help you much more if they knew what the specific problem is. It may be a carb problem, but at the age of your bike, it could also be a  fuel supply problem too,......caused by a vacuum operated fuel valve.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #2 - 08/25/11 at 05:09:13

Check the technical section, I'm sure there's plenty there.. I know Serowbot has post a lot about carbs, and few others have as well along with pics.. I just woke so I'm too lazy to go pull the threads for you.. yee hee hee

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 08/25/11 at 06:14:56

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191899985

Go slow...if you have the time that is... Wink

P.S. it's easier if you pull the battery box out.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 08/25/11 at 10:26:57

Big Dave,

Justin isn't here so I guess I'll ask his standard question for him.

"Why do you think you need to tear down your carburetor?"

He always asks this question and lots of times we get an interesting answer back (plus how old the bike is and how many miles it has on it too please)

You'd be surprised how many times the issue isn't the carburetor at all ...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bigdave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/25/11 at 12:27:24

The bike only has 5600 miles on it. I believe it's the carb bc the bike accelerated in idle & while driving. It's back firing. It's also not starting. It acts like it wants to but doesn't hit the spark. I tried done interesting things to actually start it & it worked & ran for a bit but died. I would let hold the throttle like your supposed to & then let it go. For done reason thTs the only way it'd start. But now it's not.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/25/11 at 12:40:10

Too much cafene

Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 08/25/11 at 13:12:40

If you are tool challenged that usually means you don't have the confidence to tear something down. Take photos of everything before and during take down. Put screws back in the holes they came out of as soon as something comes off. Go slow and lay parts in the orientation they came off (Facing toward the front or back and right and left) The throttle is on the right. Even in a garage use a light colored sheet under the whole bike to keep small parts from disappearing. DO NOT use a floral colored sheet. It's like camo. (I can't say how  I learned) Go to Ron Ayers, Babbitts, or other for exploded view. Get some decent tools and go. BTW, You tried to crank it like you're supposed to. My 650 requires no choke to start but must have a little choke to idle. They are all different. hth  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 08/25/11 at 14:50:34

Ok Big Dave,

I am going to assume this all came on suddenly and the only reason you want to tear down your carburetor is that your bike won't run much at all.

I also assume you have a stock vac petcock on your scoot that has 5,600 miles on it.

That is a bit early for a petcock to be going south, but before you tear down that carburetor there is a simple test you can do to tell if the petcock is acting up.   And yes, the petcock can cause all the symptoms you have mentioned before up thread, but a bad carb or stuck float can do them too.  

The list has a long history with petcock problems causing folks to come see us for "carburetor problems" that weren't really carb problems, so it is good to do the petcock test first thing.

Read the whole thing then do the test that is up on the very first page of the thread.

don't forget the 2-3 whacks with the screwdriver handle to free up and reset your float

double click here       http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #9 - 08/25/11 at 15:23:08

I just took mine off. It is a little tricky the first time, but not that hard.

Definitely remove the battery and then the battery box. It's not hard at all. And it gives you a good chance to really clean the battery box inside and out. The tank is a little tricky to lift up at first due to the petc0ck. I scratched my frame just a little there.

Finally, I recommend using plastic sandwich bags and a marker to put pieces into, usually screws, nuts and bolts - and then label where exactly they are from.

Also, taking the pics along the way is a good idea, so you can easily refer back to them.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 08/25/11 at 16:15:05

bigdave wrote on 08/25/11 at 12:27:24:
The bike only has 5600 miles on it. I believe it's the carb bc the bike accelerated in idle & while driving. It's back firing. It's also not starting. It acts like it wants to but doesn't hit the spark. I tried done interesting things to actually start it & it worked & ran for a bit but died. I would let hold the throttle like your supposed to & then let it go. For done reason thTs the only way it'd start. But now it's not.

Run some Sea Foam in the gas and you can put some direct in the bowl,You don't have to take the carb apart.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #11 - 08/25/11 at 21:53:07

bill67 wrote on 08/25/11 at 16:15:05:
Run some Sea Foam in the gas and you can put some direct in the bowl,You don't have to take the carb apart.

+1  Can't hurt, and is much easier to do.

IP Logged
bigdave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/26/11 at 04:30:32

I've got the carb off as I got ambitious yesterday. Took petcock,battery box & Air tubes off. I'm just not sure what needs cleaned. I really don't know what all the carb consists of. Nothing seemed gunked up. & yes I have tools. I've got 200+ craftsman tools & yes I know how to use them. I tried the petcock ordeal before with same results as if I'd had it in full or reserve. Most of my mechanical knowledge is self taught or friendly advice like on here & both are limited to very little. I've been more into construction until I get into a pinch Like now. That's y I'm getting ready to take a tech class. & most of the grammar problems from previous post is due to having auto fill/auto correct on my phone which I'm currently using. I really just can't figure out how the bike would start when I let go of the throttle when I'd been holding it for a while.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 08/26/11 at 04:46:36

This one seems bound and determined to take his carb apart, so I think he's gonna do it no matter what you say.   He's into repair, not into any analysis of his problems.

Big Dave, please be gentle with the internal pieces of the carb, especially the float assembly.   It is easy to bend up that sucker in subtle ways that only count when you put it back together.

Do you have a Clymer's manual?   Do you have the steps in writing on how to correctly set the float level?

Here are some resources for what you are jumping into ....  but you will note she had her book open at the same time which filled in a lot of the blanks for what she doesn't say.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191899985

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 08/26/11 at 05:35:28

If you screw up the carb you can always buy a new on.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 05:30:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.