drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Re: Carb help
Reply #15 - 08/26/11 at 05:51:51

I'd be willing to help you rebuild it in person, but I'm bettin' you're not any where near Racine, Wisconsin. There are a lot of tiny pieces inside the carb. If not reassembled properly, it will not work right. Period.
Before tearing it apart, do you know anybody that knows anything about carbs? It would be nice to have someone nearby that does, for guidance, if nothing else. If you're determined to do it yourself, follow the advise already given. Go slow, take pictures, mark bags and put parts in them. One tiny little washer not in the right place, or like OF said, a slight bend in the float assembly, and the whole project goes in the crapper.
Good luck. Undecided

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #16 - 08/26/11 at 10:48:38

just my 2 cents...if you don't want to dig in there and then regret it I think someone used a bucket type cleaner that they just dropped the whole carb into and let sit. Can't remember who it was. Most likely your jets are clogged but I don't know if the bucket 'o cleaner works that deep...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #17 - 08/26/11 at 11:13:37

No it doesn't. At least not in automotive applications. I once bought a rebuilt carb from parts house. I disassembled it for part swapping purposes, only to find it all full of gunk and goo and leftover cleaner. I ended up re-soaking everything, then rinsing, and blowing dry. If you're not going to disassemble it, then Sea Foam is the way to go. At the same time, Sea Foam is not Tiger Blood, or miracle juice. There are some things it just can't fix.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 08/27/11 at 01:02:18

I think a carb has to have its rubber parts removed before dropping it in carb cleaner

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bigdave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 08/27/11 at 04:05:34

No I don't have anyone around to help. Most my relatives live far off or are not in speaking terms. I let the carb sit in hot doapy water like a local mechanic suggested & now have them drying. He suggested using starter fluid in the carb once it's dry. Hoping it works. I had lots of screws o had to use a biter bit to pull out & need to get those replaced as well as the fuel hose as it tore taking off the tank. Still shocked as I saw no gunk on the carb. Only part I didn't have off was the choke but even that was letting enough fluid in. I'm going to try the spark plug next if bike won't start. Thanks for the help so far guys. Oh and no I don't have the manual, doing everything off of suggestions & exploration.   Undecided

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #20 - 08/27/11 at 06:31:57

You can find an online manual in the Tech section. Go there and the 1st thing listed is the documentation category. See "online manuals". You can download it and have it right on your computer.
Also, as Justin mentioned, all rubber parts gotta come off before using carb cleaner. Don't know if hot soapy water is gonna work or not. Once you get it all back together, try some sea foam in the gas tank. I think it's like, 1 oz. per gallon?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 03:19:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.