Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ryca rear brake adjusting (Read 325 times)
phantom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Ryca rear brake adjusting
Reply #15 - 08/31/11 at 18:39:20

Wombat,First you should still have some thread at the forward end of the brake rod, about a 1/4 inch. you can use to shorten it . The back end at the brake rod should be flush with the nut . Second you can relocate the brake lever forward one more seration on the brake cam scribe line this will also shorten the pedal travel .  Third you can relocate the pedal cam and pin. All will decrease the travel required to apply the brake . However make sure the back wheel is still free to rotate. Have Fun Phantom

IP Logged
phantom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 09/01/11 at 04:34:00

Wombat, My third step was not correct. The pedal / arm adjustment will not change travel only reposition as to your foot requirement.  Have Fun! Phantom

IP Logged
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 09/01/11 at 10:41:39

Steps #2 and #3 also not correct

Tried step #1: As with step #3, this does not change the travel, it only repositions the pedal higher as you tighten up on the nut.
Tried step #2: No matter where you locate the brake lever on the cam the distance (or angle) it has to travel before the pads hit the drum is always the same.

Oh well, thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate your effort.

phantom wrote on 09/01/11 at 04:34:00:
Wombat, My third step was not correct. The pedal / arm adjustment will not change travel only reposition as to your foot requirement.  Have Fun! Phantom

IP Logged
phantom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 09/01/11 at 11:43:47

Wombat: No, step two is correct, however you are not following what I am saying. The more you move the brake cam relative to the lever forward you are decreasing the travel before brake/drum contact. If you held the brake lever at the same angle and rotated the cam with the scribe line one or two serrations counterclock wise and reconnected you would be closer to brake shoe/drum contact. This would decrease your brake pedal travel. I don't really agree with the term. but RYCA calls this preload. Remember you are looking for about a 1/4 in forward brake lever travel before the brake makes contact with the drum.  Have  fun!  Phantom

IP Logged
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 09/01/11 at 13:55:14

You're probably right. Ryan of Ryca explains how this is done in a new video he just posted on youtube. Check it out. And thanks once again!  

phantom wrote on 09/01/11 at 11:43:47:
Wombat: No, step two is correct, however you are not following what I am saying. The more you move the brake cam relative to the lever forward you are decreasing the travel before brake/drum contact. If you held the brake lever at the same angle and rotated the cam with the scribe line one or two serrations counterclock wise and reconnected you would be closer to brake shoe/drum contact. This would decrease your brake pedal travel. I don't really agree with the term. but RYCA calls this preload. Remember you are looking for about a 1/4 in forward brake lever travel before the brake makes contact with the drum.  Have  fun!  Phantom

IP Logged
phantom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 09/01/11 at 15:03:33

Wombat, Yes a picture is worth a thousand words. But thanks for you reassurance.  Have Fun  Phantom

IP Logged
rycamotors
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 09/01/11 at 16:26:39

I just posted a video on our youtube account with a tip on the rear brake.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #22 - 09/01/11 at 19:37:46

Here's a thought. The more the tab on the pedal angles toward the back, rather that sticking straight up, the more the tab is moving upward rather than forward when the pedal is pressed. (It takes forward movement to pull the lever on the drum, right?) If the tab is moving upward, it takes more pedal travel to move the tab enough to engage the brake. So if the tab isn't already nearly straight up, set it so it is, then readjust the lever on the drum so it connects to the rod, which is now further forward.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
phantom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 09/02/11 at 03:27:34

MotoBuddha, good analysis. Step three is back in play.  Have Fun Phantom

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #24 - 09/03/11 at 10:21:29

Another thing effecting brake setup is the position of the axle. The brake rod is a fixed length (unless you modify it). So if the wheel/axle assembly is more forward or rearward in order to tension the belt (or chain) properly, it changes the angles of the brake actuation lever and the tab on the pedal.

I'm doing a chain conversion, so I have more options regarding axle position. Here's mine set up with the axle tick mark at the farthest reference line.

Travel in the brake actuation lever is about 3/16". The travel at the end of the pedal is about 3/4". I might need to change the angle of the pedal once I get the seat on and sit in riding position.

If I needed to move the rear wheel/axle forward, I'd have to angle the brake actuation lever more to the rear -- or shorten the rod and rethread the end. Angling the actuation lever further back makes the spring useless. But I don't think it's really necessary, because the internal brake springs are pulling on the shoes, which make the cam and lever want to snap back into place.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:19:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ryca rear brake adjusting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.