Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ryca rear brake adjusting (Read 325 times)
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ryca rear brake adjusting
08/24/11 at 21:43:58

I can’t figure out how to adjust the rear brake with Ryca’s linkage. I’ve watched the video and read the assembly guide and just don’t get it.

No matter how I set things up the pedal has to be depressed way too far before the pads touch the drum. It doesn’t seem to matter how I angle the lever on the drum itself. Plus, since the arm on the rearset (which accepts the clevis) rotates 360--to any angle it's pulled to, there’s no adjustment  possible there. Maybe the connecting rod is too long. it could be a reject since the threads are all mashed up anyway.

Any ideas? Could someone give me the length of their connecting rod for comparison?

Dave

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: Ryca rear brake adjusting
Reply #1 - 08/25/11 at 08:51:23

It could be that the length of the tab on the lever is shorter than stock. That would change the ratio between the amount of pedal movement and brake arm movement. No amount of adjusting will change that.

If that's the case, your options are:

- Just get used to the longer pedal travel

- Modify the tab on the brake lever, making it longer

- Shorten the brake arm or fit a shorter one from some other bike

- Get thicker brake shoes so they engage with less lever travel

- Weld some extra material to the brake shoes where they contact the actuator rod so the shoes start out closer to the drum, requiring less pedal travel to actuate

- Weld some material to the actuator rod so the shoes start out closer to the drum, requiring less pedal travel to actuate

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/25/11 at 11:20:49

my rear brake is pretty sloppy too. ive spent a lot of time trying to get it like ryan's. (he can lock his rear up in no time at all.) but i cant figure it out for the life of me. i even had my pops take a look at it (whos an engineer) and it doesnt make sense to him either.... i did consider this: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1309536719/0

notice the rear disc brake (so tight)

but it seems like its a TON of work for a stock width tire...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/25/11 at 11:52:29

How about some pic's?

WWW   IP Logged
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/26/11 at 19:11:16

verslagen1 wrote on 08/25/11 at 11:52:29:
How about some pic's?

Really nothing to show.
Most bikes have a stop on the foot pedal to keep the attached arm, and its linkage rod, from letting the lever on the drum going all the way back. With this set up you simply adjust the length of the rod to get the desired amount of travel in the foot pedal. But the Ryca setup has no stop, so you are always pulling the lever on the drum its full distance no matter what the length of the adjustable rod. Which makes for a huge amount of travel in the foot pedal.
The guys at Ryca aren't dumb, so there must be a solution. But it beat me.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/26/11 at 19:42:01

wombat wrote on 08/26/11 at 19:11:16:
Really nothing to show.

It may seem that way, but someone might see the problem you're having and set you straight.  We're kinda relying on you to know how it's supposed to be.  Yet something is still wrong.  A pic can't hurt.

WWW   IP Logged
Seroj
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/27/11 at 07:41:22

This is a design flaw in my opinion. Wombat is right - there's no "stop" to keep the spring from pulling the pedal back all the way. No way to adjust it for more or less free play. This is because the whole rearset assembly pivots. I thought about putting some kind of pin through the rearset assembly to limit it's counterclockwise rotation, but I never got that far.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #7 - 08/27/11 at 10:18:57

The shoes contacting the drum is your pedal travel limiter. The shoes can't travel further, which means the cam can't turn further, which means the lever can't move further, which means the rod can't move further, which means the pedal can't move further.

So the first question is, how much travel is there in the brake drum lever? Disconnect the rod and work the lever by hand. You shouldn’t have more than about a quarter inch. Even an eight inch is fine. The shoes being off the drum by a molecule’s thickness is still off. If you have more travel than a quarter inch, then it might be time to replace your shoes.

If the lever doesn’t stop at all, then you have problems inside the brake. Either the cam or the spot on the shoes the cam rides are worn. Or the springs have come off. Or maybe the splines on the lever or cam are worn, or the pinch bolt is loose, allowing the lever to spin on the cam.

If all that is good, then it’s a matter of adjusting the rod. Tighten the rod adjuster nut until the pedal is at the angle you want. After looking at the assembly closer, that previous statement needs to be modified. Attach the rod to the lever on the drum. Attach the clevis to the other end so there are some threads available both directions. Disassemble the footpeg-lever assembly. Connect the tab to the clevis then hold it in its approximate position. Make a temporary mark or use a piece of tape to mark the angle of the tab on the faceplate of the rearset bracket. You'll probably need an extra set of hands for the next part. Hold the locking ring and tab in position and slide the bolt-footpeg-lever-locating pin assembly through the tab and locking ring and into the hole in the bracket, keeping the lever at approximately the desired angle. If the locating pin won't mesh with one of the holes in the tab, move it to a different hole on the lever and try again, and again, until you get the best match you can. Then disconnect the clevis, remove all the rearset parts, tighten the locking ring (rotating the footrest so the locating pin fits into the notch), and bolt the rearset assembly to the bracket. Reattach the clevis. Check the pedal for position by sitting on the bike.  Fine tune the position by adjusting the clevis on the rod -- tighten to raise the pedal tip, loosen to lower it.

I haven’t measured, but I’m guessing the stub on the brake pedal is about half as long as the lever on the brake. That means the pedal would move about twice as far as the brake lever. A lot of slop at the brake means even more at the pedal.

« Last Edit: 08/29/11 at 12:56:57 by MotoBuddha »  

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
phantom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/28/11 at 13:45:55

Wombat: Lets see if this helps. 1. open the brake lever return spring a little. 2. reset the brake lever,  there is a scribe line on the brake shaft. Position the brake lever pinch slot at about a 2 o'clock position to the scribe line. 3. Adjust your brake pedal as desired utilizing the rotating cam and pin. Make sure the pin is properly recessed in the brake pedal arm or the large serated nut will not look straight and seated properly. When finished, you will have about 1/4 inch travel at the brake lever and 3/4 inch at the brake pedal.   Have Fun!  Phantom

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #9 - 08/28/11 at 15:02:14

wombat wrote on 08/24/11 at 21:43:58:
Could someone give me the length of their connecting rod for comparison?

Tip to tip in a straight line, 21 7/8"

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/29/11 at 22:22:09

I already have the pinch slot at the 2 o'clock position in relation to the scribe line. But by having the lever pointing so far back, the hook on the return spring no longer makes constant contact with the lever. Not sure what you mean by "open the brake lever return spring a little." If I uncoil it a bit (which is would be hard to do as it is tightly wound) the spring would make even less contact. Please explain.

phantom wrote on 08/28/11 at 13:45:55:
Wombat: Lets see if this helps. 1. open the brake lever return spring a little. 2. reset the brake lever,  there is a scribe line on the brake shaft. Position the brake lever pinch slot at about a 2 o'clock position to the scribe line. 3. Adjust your brake pedal as desired utilizing the rotating cam and pin. Make sure the pin is properly recessed in the brake pedal arm or the large serated nut will not look straight and seated properly. When finished, you will have about 1/4 inch travel at the brake lever and 3/4 inch at the brake pedal.   Have Fun!  Phantom

IP Logged
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/29/11 at 22:50:40

I guess I'm not making myself clear. What I'm trying to do is reduce the play in the foot pedal, thereby decreasing the distance the pedal travels. What you seem to be describing is how to adjust the intial angle of the pedal--which is not my issue.  

All bikes I've ever seen with rear drum brakes, even the stock S40, have a stop to limit how high the pedal can go. Once the pedal is at that stop, held there by the brake's spring, you take up on the rod (or cable) to reduce play, or loosen the adjusting nut to increase play.

You seem to imply that there is a way to change the amount of travel in the brake drum lever. Please explain how (and not be changing brake shoes, mine are brand new. Plus you should be able to adjust travel as the shoes wear down).

Thanks for your suggestions.

MotoBuddha wrote on 08/27/11 at 10:18:57:
The shoes contacting the drum is your pedal travel limiter. The shoes can't travel further, which means the cam can't turn further, which means the lever can't move further, which means the rod can't move further, which means the pedal can't move further.

So the first question is, how much travel is there in the brake drum lever? Disconnect the rod and work the lever by hand. You shouldn’t have more than about a quarter inch. Even an eight inch is fine. The shoes being off the drum by a molecule’s thickness is still off. If you have more travel than a quarter inch, then it might be time to replace your shoes.

If the lever doesn’t stop at all, then you have problems inside the brake. Either the cam or the spot on the shoes the cam rides are worn. Or the springs have come off. Or maybe the splines on the lever or cam are worn, or the pinch bolt is loose, allowing the lever to spin on the cam.

If all that is good, then it’s a matter of adjusting the rod. Tighten the rod adjuster nut until the pedal is at the angle you want. After looking at the assembly closer, that previous statement needs to be modified. Attach the rod to the lever on the drum. Attach the clevis to the other end so there are some threads available both directions. Disassemble the footpeg-lever assembly. Connect the tab to the clevis then hold it in its approximate position. Make a temporary mark or use a piece of tape to mark the angle of the tab on the faceplate of the rearset bracket. You'll probably need an extra set of hands for the next part. Hold the locking ring and tab in position and slide the bolt-footpeg-lever-locating pin assembly through the tab and locking ring and into the hole in the bracket, keeping the lever at approximately the desired angle. If the locating pin won't mesh with one of the holes in the tab, move it to a different hole on the lever and try again, and again, until you get the best match you can. Then disconnect the clevis, remove all the rearset parts, tighten the locking ring (rotating the footrest so the locating pin fits into the notch), and bolt the rearset assembly to the bracket. Reattach the clevis. Check the pedal for position by sitting on the bike.  Fine tune the position by adjusting the clevis on the rod -- tighten to raise the pedal tip, loosen to lower it.

I haven’t measured, but I’m guessing the stub on the brake pedal is about half as long as the lever on the brake. That means the pedal would move about twice as far as the brake lever. A lot of slop at the brake means even more at the pedal.

IP Logged
phantom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/31/11 at 06:42:14

Wombat, I went back out to my bike and removed the pin holding the brake rod to the brake pedal upper arm, in other words, it is disconnected. I left the brake lever go to it's relaxed position. At this point the brake cam shaft with a serated line was positionned at 11:00 o'clock. The brake lever pinched slot was at about 2:00 o'clock relative to the scribe line. When I re-installed the pin securing the brake rod to the brake pedal upper arm, the brake pedal is sitting at about 3:30 position. The brake pedal upper arm is sitting at about 11:00 o'clock position. Motobuddha previously stated that the brake shoe contacting the drum is your lower stop which is correct, your upper stop limit is controlled by the resistance of the overhaul system.
I will now explain this upper limit resistance: The brake rod attach point to the brake lever makes contact with the inside of the brake lever. If you had the brake rod disconnected at the brake pedal upper arm you will find as the spring attempts to return the brake arm releasing the brake, the brake rod makes contact inside the swivel joint at the bottom the brake rod. When you pull the brake rod upward to reattach at the brake pedal upper arm you feel the resistance and this resistance is your upper limit. Have fun! Phantom

IP Logged
Chicagobob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/31/11 at 07:53:03

Don't know if this helps, but if the rearsets are like those from Tarozzi, the lever angle is adjustable by disassembling the unit and placing the pin in a different hole, the holes are at different degrees around the perimeter of the mounting bolt, so each one gives you a slightly different lever angle.  You might be able to get better leverage and comfort that way.

IP Logged
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/31/11 at 15:01:33

First, realize you have been dealing with a mechanical idiot. Given that, let’s continue:

My brake lever, rod, connections, and foot pedal are set up as you describe. This gives the foot pedal 1” of play. Not great, but acceptable. Got it. No problem.

What I still can’t figure out is how do I make adjustments to reduce this play now, and also in the future when play increases because the brake pads are wearing down? To reduce the distance the foot pedal travels, you have to reduce the distance the lever at the brake travels What nut do I tighten (loosen?), what widget do I spin to make this happen?  

Thanks once again.

phantom wrote on 08/31/11 at 06:42:14:
Wombat, I went back out to my bike and removed the pin holding the brake rod to the brake pedal upper arm, in other words, it is disconnected. I left the brake lever go to it's relaxed position. At this point the brake cam shaft with a serated line was positionned at 11:00 o'clock. The brake lever pinched slot was at about 2:00 o'clock relative to the scribe line. When I re-installed the pin securing the brake rod to the brake pedal upper arm, the brake pedal is sitting at about 3:30 position. The brake pedal upper arm is sitting at about 11:00 o'clock position. Motobuddha previously stated that the brake shoe contacting the drum is your lower stop which is correct, your upper stop limit is controlled by the resistance of the overhaul system.
I will now explain this upper limit resistance: The brake rod attach point to the brake lever makes contact with the inside of the brake lever. If you had the brake rod disconnected at the brake pedal upper arm you will find as the spring attempts to return the brake arm releasing the brake, the brake rod makes contact inside the swivel joint at the bottom the brake rod. When you pull the brake rod upward to reattach at the brake pedal upper arm you feel the resistance and this resistance is your upper limit. Have fun! Phantom

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:14:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ryca rear brake adjusting

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.