Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hard cold starting after carb kit install (Read 163 times)
Tehrifleman
YaBB Newbies

Savage: It's like
half of a Harley!

Montana
Hard cold starting after carb kit install
08/23/11 at 23:16:32

Got a Stage IV jet kit off Ebay. Put in a wide pipe with a relatively low restriction. Now I have to crank 4-5 times to start. Is this a petcock problem? Idle screw setting? I see some air bubbles in the clear fuel filter, what's up with that? Am I cranking to fill the bowl? Thanks to anyone who can help. BTW, my Savage wakes up the neighbors now. Mission accomplished!  Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Hard cold starting after carb kit install
Reply #1 - 08/23/11 at 23:26:38

have you adjusted your decomp lately?

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 08/24/11 at 04:19:46

PP (petcock paranoia) is setting in at an alarming rate ! I think I'l buy some stocks in Raptor !

To try to help,.....I would think if you see any air in the fuel line it would be caused from an intermittent fuel supply from the tank. If you are getting this while on "prime", you're outta gas. If you are not on "prime" while working on the carb/fuel system, you should be.
W/ it on "prime", loosen the carb drain screw,....the air/bubbles will go on thru into the carb bowl and no more should appear, and the carb will fill up,.....providing you shut the drain off.

And are you talking 4-5 engine revolutions ? Sounds normal to me.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/24/11 at 06:42:45

Im assuming you arent letting it sit long enough to evaporate he gas down in the bowl,, so,, , what are your Start procedures? What were they before you rejeted? Mine doesnt want to light off even on a warm day after sitting a few days unless I hit the choke, If I so much as turn the gas 1/8th turn, its done, not staring till I let it sit a while, seem most things have a "personality" & if we dont work with it, itll be a hassle.
I would, just for the sake of figuring things out, put it on prime to start. Might as well just eliminate gas in the bowl as a problem, then do everything just as you have been,, & see if tht makes a difference.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 08/24/11 at 10:20:03

Put the bike in prime, whack the float bowl a couple of times with a big screwdriver handle and try starting it again after letting it sit for an hour.

BE PATIENT, help is coming .....  if it runs good after this, you know something.  If it doesn't, you know something else.   Both ways are valuable data.

Obviously every responder so far thinks something is up, but nobody is gonna say the evil petcork word unless you do a few simple tests first.

The tests are simple enough and an hour isn't very long to invest in keeping everybody happy.

Report back when you are done and tell us what happened.

Hint: when you finish that, then they will want you to do Serobot's Test to see if your diaphragm is leaking any gasoline.   You could do it now, but that would be cheating.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

Wink    

Cutting to the chase and getting a Raptor right off the bat without allowing them to get you to fiddle a bit and dicky around with it a few times spoils all their fun.   You are supposed to be "analyzing your issues" now, not jumping to a conclusion by going and doing something that always works.

Then they want to yell at me for "shotgunning" and spreading "petcork paranoia" because you took a shortcut.    

Shame on you .....  you will be getting me into trouble again.

You see, you can get a petcork to "get better" temporarily by changing out the vac hose and putting clamps on it (improves the suck a little).  This is cheap, and it works until things get worse, then it stops working.   They know that, but it is one of the traditional steps they want you to go through.

Gotta keep up our traditions you know.

Roll Eyes

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 08/24/11 at 10:52:26

Let's just try to help people...  Petcock test is a part of that... Wink...

Personally,.. I think the hard starting is just the price you're gonna' pay for an open pipe...  
I'd try the petcock test,..
How to check your petcock,...
...if that ain't it,... you'd probably do better installing a baffle...

(maybe, it's the sugar your neighbor put in your crankcase)... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 08/24/11 at 11:13:27

Yeah, what Serobot said !!!     Read that thread carefully.

+1

Also, since you are doing performance mods you are likely going to become a wicker --- if you do go to wicking at speed, please understand the vac petcock isn't necessarily going to want to supply enough gasoline as fast as your modified high revving engine wants to use it up.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 08/24/11 at 11:16:18

Tehrifleman wrote on 08/23/11 at 23:16:32:
Got a Stage IV jet kit off Ebay. Put in a wide pipe with a relatively low restriction. Now I have to crank 4-5 times to start. Is this a petcock problem? Idle screw setting? I see some air bubbles in the clear fuel filter, what's up with that? Am I cranking to fill the bowl? Thanks to anyone who can help. BTW, my Savage wakes up the neighbors now. Mission accomplished!  Grin

If it started before you put on the open pipe it has nothing to do with the petcock.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 08/24/11 at 11:22:46

Bill has said a true thing, with zero back pressure in the exhaust system all fuel mix issues are aggravated and all fuel subsystems are put under stress because they are operating outside their design parameters.  

Sticking in a baffle (good advice) provides some back pressure and the constant velocity carburetor will work a bit better and there will be a wee bit more stable suction on the intake side to correctly operate the vac petcock.

Diamond Jim peed blood trying to get the straight pipe on Black Beauty to work right, but he wound up putting a baffle in it in the end.   And he was pretty good with tuning a Savage carb set up.

« Last Edit: 08/25/11 at 05:55:00 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 08/24/11 at 11:52:06

TRM, are you choking the bike when starting? If not, then do so. If it fires up on choke then you're still too lean. You can try to mess with the air mix screw and see if that helps also.
Caution - if you haven't taken the brass plug out of the air mix screw be especially careful doing so.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Tehrifleman
YaBB Newbies

Savage: It's like
half of a Harley!

Montana
Reply #10 - 08/24/11 at 21:04:43

OK. Startup procedure. Fuel is on, choke is all on. Won't start at all at half choke, and wants to pull the choke handle in by itself. I crank 3 times full choke, smell gasoline, then get a start. Does that help any? I'm going to get the Raptor petcock anyway, but I'm also prolly going to be changing out the starter. Lots of cranks building up on it. The pipe has a baffle, but it is still pretty open. It could be that the fuel in the bowl is evaporating, startup is harder on a hot day.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 08/24/11 at 21:28:53

Before you do anything that spends $$$, try what someone else said,,put some restriction in the exhaust, heck, anything, just wad up some stainless steel & poke in the end O the pipe,, see if it changes how it starts,

IDK about that It wants to close the choke itself, but Ive seen mine wiggle while I was startin, too,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #12 - 08/24/11 at 22:54:20

Tehrifleman wrote on 08/24/11 at 21:04:43:
OK.  It could be that the fuel in the bowl is evaporating, startup is harder on a hot day.

---------------------------------------------------------
Is there anything hard about loosening the drain screw to see if the bowl has fuel in it ?

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 08/25/11 at 03:33:56

Put it on prime & wait a few seconds & yyoull know its full,

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 08/25/11 at 05:13:17

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/25/11 at 03:33:56:
Put it on prime & wait a few seconds & yyoull know its full,

Not if the float is stuck in the up position Shocked

Come on,.....just loosen the drain screw,...it'll only hurt for a minute !

Rich
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 07:29:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hard cold starting after carb kit install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.