Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hard cold starting after carb kit install (Read 163 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Hard cold starting after carb kit install
Reply #15 - 08/25/11 at 06:07:10

Routy, that's why we tell them to do the whack it with the screwdriver 2-3 times on the float bowl trick.   He should do this at the start of any test session just to make sure his float isn't stuck at the end of its travel from the last episode.

He's gonna do it again right after he puts on his Raptor before starting the bike, he's gotta recover from the last episode.

And no, I don't think the Raptor is necessarily going to fix all of what he has going on -- it will just thin the herd a good bit.   Then we can analyze what he has left with some level of certainty.

====================

The starter is durable, don't sweat using it some.   Plus it is expensive, even bought used.   Rule of thumb is you check the starter for "getting warm" -- if so cool out on cranking it for a bit until it cools down.

If you do just go and replace yours, I want the old one ....    Wink

====================

Here's to hoping you jest have a split diaphragm in your vac petcork ---  mainly cause iffin it ain't, you got some other issues to work through there partner.  

You took your carb apart, and that is a whole other can of worms as you touched every critical part inside it ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Hard cold starting after carb kit install
Reply #16 - 08/25/11 at 11:43:15

Tehrifleman wrote on 08/24/11 at 21:04:43:
I crank 3 times full choke, smell gasoline, then get a start.
It could be that the fuel in the bowl is evaporating, startup is harder on a hot day.

A little clarification please... what do you mean "crank 3 times"?
Cranking it 3 revolutions would be about normal.
Cranking it 3 times for 30 second each would be about  Abbe normal.

And, unless your bike is too hot to touch when you go to start it up, and you rode it in the last 24 hours, evaporating all of the gas in the bowl would be quite abbe normal.  But if you didn't have much gas in it in the 1st place... such as is it full of water from a bad fill up?  Go ahead and drain it into a cup and let it settle again.

And my ealier question about the decomp adjustment may seem obscure.  Too tight an adjustment on the decomp will make for prolonged starting.  Too loose and it may stall.  Mine starts on the 1st rev usually.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 05:37:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hard cold starting after carb kit install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.