Helmet Selection (Read 228 times)
mojo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW MO
Helmet Selection
08/23/11 at 20:56:40

I've been "lurking" here for a few months. Getting my finances together and plan to "seriously" start shopping for a Thumper in October.  Am wondering what recommencations you OT's can make regarding helmets? Experiences, good and bad, with various brands, full face vs. 3/4 face, etc.  I know this is a "subjective" question and expect a lot of varied opinions...........but, hopefully, I can digest the info and decide what to buy.  I hear price ranges on helmets from $100+/- to $500+/-.  There must be a happy medium in there somewhere?  Also, should a person consider a "used" helmet?

"Never Say Never"
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Helmet Selection
Reply #1 - 08/23/11 at 21:32:41

Spending more doesnt mean beter protection. You can spend 150 bucks & have plenty of protection.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #2 - 08/23/11 at 22:19:15

My number one criterion:

It's gotta be mega-comfortable.  Everything else is secondary!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/23/11 at 23:38:14

I wouldn't consider a used helmet, unless you knew the guy who used it.

And yes, a good helmet should be available at a reasonable price.
It's hard to pick out a good helmet from a catalog.
full face offer the most protection
modular offer ease of entry
open face for the claustrophobic
half for better ventilation at the cost of comfort.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/23/11 at 23:43:30

I have an HJC modular. I slammed my face ino the cab corner of a pickup, denting the truck, folded the lower segment in & plit my upper lip, took a couple stitches,, It worked after, I replaced it, but I couldnt see any damage, as in cracked fiberglass,,.
Gotta try them on, no way to buy  helmet out of a catalog,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 08/24/11 at 00:28:11

I have a GMAX full faced helmet. It came with 2 visors. clear and smoked. Also a bag to carry it in. It has a large viewing area and 7 air vents. Only helmet I have ever had that I can ride with the visor full up at 70 mph and not have my head ripped off. Removable and washable pads inside and designed so you can use ear buds or speakers if desired. Payed like $75 new.

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #6 - 08/24/11 at 05:46:19

I have two schools of thought on my choices:

1for hot weather i wear Vega Summit II modular white so i can be seen, multiple vents, removeable pads for cleaning price $109

2 for cold weather i wear Vega Altura full face Black & hi-vis yellow with reflective stripes so i stick out and can be seen - all of the same features as the Summitt II  but no seems/gaps so all cold air is blocked from getting in around my face. The kicker with this one - $25 delivered close out special 3 year old design...all i am saying is there are deals out there on brand new helmets just because they are old stock, nothing wrong with them.

My son paid over $300 for a Shoei.......does not do anything extra that my $25 does except lighten the wallet faster.

I would not wear a used helmet no reason to when you can get a brand new one so cheap.

My first consideration when buying the helmet is - will people be able to see me better with this helmet...all black, flat black and some other helments dont help make you more visible to other drivers.....I am a safety professional by trade so enhancing my safety while riding is number 1, comfort number 2, cost number 3

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #7 - 08/24/11 at 06:06:36

I normally don't wear a helmet, but I do own one. (Had to wear helmet for road test) I agree with some previous posters...don't buy one from a catalog. I did. I got a 1/2 beanie type helmet for around $70. It is the most uncomfortable, dorky looking thing I own. If I ever get another one, it will probably be a full face with shield. (Those cold winter winds are a biotch) And I don't think I would want a used helmet either. You don't know where it's been, or what abuse it has endured.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #8 - 08/24/11 at 07:49:39

drums1 wrote on 08/24/11 at 06:06:36:
...I don't think I would want a used helmet either. You don't know where it's been, or what abuse it has endured.

And you don't know if someone left it hanging on their bike outside a bar and it was mistaken for a urinal  Huh

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 08/24/11 at 09:41:52

I look for the cheapest FF that fits my head...
... also check local availability and cost of replacement face shields...

FF
Comfort
Price
shield availability

Oh,... and if it's hot where you are,... get a white one...
Big difference in temp with a white one... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Mario Verasso

Ride it like you
stole it!

Gibsonton, Fl
Reply #10 - 10/10/11 at 21:24:50

This is the one i bought. With this face shield

IP Logged
SurfJunkie

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/11/11 at 08:09:14

I have a Shoei RF-1000 fullface i bought a few years ago in anticipation of getting a bike. I only have a few complaints.

1. the RF-1000 fogs like a sombitch at low speeds. even with all the vents open. Not an issue up over about 50 mph. (  i have an 87, 4 speed, and side street it about 25-30 miles to work. Most of my ride is about 55-60 mph )

2. weight. Im comparison to some of the newer helmets that cost 1/4 of what i paid for this, this model is a bit top heavy.

Ive been thinking alot about getting a 3/4, but im still torn about it. I kinda like my face the way it is......

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 10/11/11 at 08:39:11

SJ, here's what webbikeworld said...

Quote:
From "D" (3/10):  "I bought the Shoei RF1000 in solid black after reading your reviews and owned it for a year now. The visor on this helmet is a safety hazard because of fogging from the first breath on, no need for low temp, this visor fogs in any condition.

I find it inconceivable that I have to spend money on a Pinlock replacement visor and the Pinlock insert to make it work normally, these are faulty helmets. Your review should include the fact that in order to make this helmet work you absolutely, imperatively need a Pinlock fog system, or something of the sort.

Same thing with Shoei, nowhere do they mention that this helmet needs a good anti fog system that has to be purchased separately. I've been trying to write Shoei about the visor but they didn't answer me. Very disappointed. My other helmet is an RSX Shark which has much better visor by a long shot."

Editor's Reply:  It's difficult to evaluate face shield fogging, because if the helmet is reviewed in the summer, there's no way to determine the anti-fog capabilities. Also, I must have cool breath, because I rarely have a problem with this.

Nevertheless, I pretty much figure that no visor will prevent fog, and, in fact, some of the newer helmets don't even bother to claim that the face shield has an anti-fog coating, probably because the coatings usually don't work anyway. Some of the new HJC and Shoei helmets come with a Pinlock insert.

Not sure if you've tried the Clarity Defog It (review) product we reviewed; it works on the RF-1000 visor we have here and is so far the best and easiest to use anti-fog treatment we've found.

I'll have to add that if you're comparing a fiberglass, high protection helmet against a plastic DOT only helmet, you're comparing apples to steel shot.

WWW   IP Logged
SurfJunkie

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/11/11 at 08:47:37

Hey Vers,

Thanks for the info.

To be totally honest, i didnt do alot of research prior to purchasing the helmet some 4-5 years ago. Overall, im pleased with it, but come time for the next helmet, ill be sure to read rider/mag reviews.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #14 - 10/12/11 at 09:36:46

I agree with Digger.  Comfort is the main factor.

Then,.. cost.  Assuming the factors below are adequately covered, I like to get a cheapo helmet, use it for a year or two, and replace it with another cheapo.  The reasoning here is that even if you clean the inside, it still gets loaded up over time with human gunk that breeds other gunk.  Plus, the performance of the protective material degrades over time.  

A necessary factor: properly approved by all the relevant agencies.

Next factor, bells and whistles: do you want lots of trick vents, shields, flippy-ups, etc.?  or not?

Anyway,.. my opinion,.. Every year or two, buy something cheap that fits well.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 02:41:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Helmet Selection

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.