Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Thinking of moving to Nevada (Read 619 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Thinking of moving to Nevada
08/23/11 at 15:58:47

Still thinking about it and discussing it with the wife, but we have a chance to buy 20 acres in Northeast Nevada. If we do this we will be living off the grid as much as we can with the only thing being an internet connection using wind and solar for our power needs.

Still in research and planning stages at the moment though.

This is something the wife and I have wanted to do for quite a long time but never had the opportunity. Now it looks like we just may have that opportunity.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Thinking of moving to Nevada
Reply #1 - 08/23/11 at 16:32:31

I just took a short tour of NE Nevada. Google Earth is a handy tool,, Dude,, thats a rough lookin area. You lookin to be that far out in the boonies? Hey, Im not sayin Dont,, Im just sayin Think Hard on it,, Hey,, I wish I was young & healthy enough to take on a big adventure like that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #2 - 08/23/11 at 17:02:01

I just moved 2-1/2 miles down the road and That was a big deal for me. I couldn't imagine taking on what you're thinking about doing. I've always dreamed of doing something like that in alaska but thats just a dream. Good luck to you if you can work it out.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 08/23/11 at 17:11:27

You want see how folks are doing off the grid, look West North west of Taos, NM. Out toward tres prites (3 rocks). Dad had a lot there he bought during the 1962 worlds fair in Seattle. We drove out to look at it years ago as a retirement possibility. Real winters there from the looks of things. But a whole village off the grid on the road out to 3 rocks from Taos. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #4 - 08/23/11 at 17:40:19

Yonuh, I lived totally off the grid for about 20 years.
Past life, yet was a journey filled with knowledge and
entertaining as well. We were described by some as,
the Little house on the Prairie..
At first had kerosene lamps and a  generator. That was in
a mobile home while building a log house.
Once in the house, we had solar panels and eventually
put in a water generator on the creek.
It was not easy. Many a hard times as well as some good
ones.
Yes this was in Wa. State. We had a huge bank of batteries
that stored the power.
OH yes I have lived and worked off the land. Now I am totally
dependent on the grid.
New hubby, new life.. I am glad to have had that chance and learned
all I did. Would I go back to one like it? Well I learned to, never say never.
Best of luck. Again I would suggest you check the cost and everything
else involved in it before making the leep.. Best of luck.. Smiley Kim

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #5 - 08/23/11 at 18:12:00

I was pretty sparse in my original post about this. The area we may be going to is only about 5 miles south of a little town called Montello. There is power available on grid if we decide to wait on the off grid set up.

We have been discussing the pros and cons of a move like this for years and so far the pros do out weigh the cons (not by much but they do out weigh them).

We are definitely not jumping into this blind and we know it will be a lot of hard work. Luckily there is also no time limit on building on the property so if we wanted we can just purchase the land and wait before we start building.

Either way we will still be trying to go as far off grid as we are comfortable doing.

There is still quite a bit of thinking and planning to go yet before a full decision is made.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #6 - 08/23/11 at 18:24:38

Yonuh, you could build a place that is both..
Have the off grid for back up or the on grid
for back up..
Just like riding the bike, one makes choices
that make them happy.
I wish you and your family happiness in
whatever you choose.
I would never want to discourage anyone from
fulfilling a dream. All the best.. hugs,, Wink kim

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/23/11 at 19:04:15

Adobe/ compressed earth,, subterranean, semi sub,, Id be lookin that way,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 08/23/11 at 20:00:48

lifes' too short to wish "we should have"

"wish we didnt" just makes you stronger and richer

if you come up I 25 and west on hgy 50 stop on by

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/23/11 at 20:10:16

sounds like a good adventure
its not for everybody, but good for you if you can do it.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #10 - 08/24/11 at 06:44:26

Yonuh -

I don't know your age, but here's a decision we had to make.

My wife owns a farm in Iowa that has been in her family for generations.  We had thought of moving out there to ease into retirement.  However, the place is about 40 miles from the nearest city of any real size.

Well, after having chest pain and 2 stents put in 7 years ago, my outlook has changed.  Now I first think of how far a place is from a first class medical community where the ravages of ever increasing age can be managed.  Maybe I over concentrate on this concern, but it is a real concern for me - I'd sure hate to have "the big one" and be a couple of hours away from treatment.

Also, while we're not culture snobs, the idea of never going to a movie or a show, a major shopping center or grocery store has its drawbacks too.

While all of this idea may sound romantic and challenging, think of the practical side before you jump into anything.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #11 - 08/24/11 at 12:16:29

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 08/24/11 at 06:44:26:
Yonuh -

I don't know your age, but here's a decision we had to make.

My wife owns a farm in Iowa that has been in her family for generations.  We had thought of moving out there to ease into retirement.  However, the place is about 40 miles from the nearest city of any real size.

Well, after having chest pain and 2 stents put in 7 years ago, my outlook has changed.  Now I first think of how far a place is from a first class medical community where the ravages of ever increasing age can be managed.  Maybe I over concentrate on this concern, but it is a real concern for me - I'd sure hate to have "the big one" and be a couple of hours away from treatment.

Also, while we're not culture snobs, the idea of never going to a movie or a show, a major shopping center or grocery store has its drawbacks too.

While all of this idea may sound romantic and challenging, think of the practical side before you jump into anything.

Way ahead of ya Jerry, medical treatment was one of the first things we looked into because my wife is on disability and has some serious medical issues. We found the distance to a state of the art medical facility was not too great.

I agree with you about movies and such, after all there are times that you just want to get out for a while. This too is not far enough away to be detrimental.

We have thought long and hard about this, and even if we get the land, it will still be a couple of years or so before we can do the actual move, we just have too much stuff going on that has to be taken care of first. So believe me when I say we are not just jumping into this. I do appreciate all of ya'll's concerns and am honored that ya'll care enough to voice them to make sure that we are not being rash.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #12 - 08/24/11 at 19:16:02

Yonuh - Jerry has brought up some good points; and though you are not too far from a state of the art medical facility, can you get there in the Winter?  Since you are not in a rush, visit the locale both in the Heat of Summer and worst of Winter to see what you are facing.  
How about work?    I'm sure you can reduce a lot of fixed expenses living off the grid but some are unavoidable.  Does sound like a great adventure. Wink

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/25/11 at 06:25:11

back when i was younger i built a homestead out of nothing in the ohio woods, no power no water etc. i hauled water for 10 years finally got power .....anyway if your young and strong its a learning experience that few ever have and alot more work than you think!!! Trust me on that one.   Wink

I would not go back to that lifestyle by choice, but i did learn how to survive off the grid and off the land.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #14 - 08/25/11 at 09:30:52

Whatever you and your wife decide, I just wanted to say best of luck!  I know you'll do it right...   Smiley

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:31:51

General CategoryThe Cafe › Thinking of moving to Nevada

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.