Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Raptor petcock swap (Read 170 times)
marioivargas

Los Angeles
Raptor petcock swap
08/23/11 at 15:51:24

So as recommended by everyone here, I ordered the Raptor petcock to switch up the OEM petcock as the vacuum line is failing at highway speeds.  Is there a detailed link for me to follow step by steps on how to do it safely?  Do I really have to remove the gas tank entirely?  Is it going to be as simple as removing and reinstalling with a couple of wrenches and a gas tank?  I already have a fuel filter in my gas line too.  How many hours will I need?  I plan to do this during the evening sun, it's kinda hot out in the aftenoon and I have no garage, ust a back driveway :/

IP Logged
LarryC
YaBB Newbies

ClingingToGod

Lower Alabama
Re: Raptor petcock swap
Reply #1 - 08/23/11 at 16:09:50

Leave gas tank in place. Get you a gas can and a hose that will reach your hose from the old petcock. Pull the hose off the side of the carb and squeeze it and insert it into the gas can hose and drain, opening the gas cap will make things go quicker. Find the vac hose on throttle side and remove and cap it at the carb. When the tank is empty, unbolt the old petcock remove and discard. Insert Raptor and bolt 'er on, connect gas, fill tank and haul self down road.
I just did the same and it was a breeze. And yes, go to the tech sect. and read all about it.

LarryC

'05 S40, K/N Filter, Raptor Petcock, Inline Filter, Idle Mix 3, Sporty Shorty, Dial A Jet.....
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/23/11 at 16:42:33

How to install a Raptor...  How to check your petcock,...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 08/23/11 at 17:36:54

Keep a old dead bath towel handy when you unbolt the old petcock, some gas will come out with it.

Some have rocked the bike over leaning away from the petcock to minimize the spill amount, but you still get some.

Don't forget your three whacks with the screwdriver handle to your float bowl resettle your float after interrupting the gas supply and re-establishing it.

Grin   Grin   Grin

Very important, when you are done and have finished your test drive you have to post again to tell us what changed -- item per item, before and after.

There are crows on the table over this one ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
marioivargas

Los Angeles
Reply #4 - 08/23/11 at 17:46:58

I'm mainly changing it because the engine dies at highway speeds above 70MPH once in a while on an upgrade.  Overall, I hear it's less maintanence and better performance.  I'll pot back by thrusday evening.  I'll be working on it thursday afternoon.

IP Logged
marioivargas

Los Angeles
Reply #5 - 08/25/11 at 01:30:42

I was feeling compelled to put the Raptor on today after work so I did.  It was a pretty simple switch.  Took me maybe about an hour.  I think the hardest part was impatiently waiting for the gas to drain from the tank.  

Took the bike up that street for a full takn of gas and then jumped on the 8W to ride all the way to the beach.  The bike feels a lot stronger.  Seems like the old petcock was holding back bike performance and my self confidence.

Hit 70MPH on the uphill for a while and the bike didn't even hesitate.  It's running better than ever.  The coastal wind kept me below 75mph today on the cruise.    Well worth the risk of having a manual petcock.

Should I be switching the petcock off at night or just when it's going to sit for a few days?

I'm still a bit nervous about speeding and I'm pretty easy on the bike.  I barely weigh 160 lbs. so it doesn't take much to get it moving.

How fast do people push these bikes?  I usually don't switch to 5th until I start hitting 50 MPH.

Overall, I'm glad I made the change.  It runs better, I think it looks better then the OEM and it makes a smoother switch to reserve.  

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 08/25/11 at 06:31:58

I switch mine off if it's gonna sit for a few hours. You'll quickly learn to switch it back on when you forget... Grin

Go ahead and push it...personally I get chicken at around 75 mph

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 08/25/11 at 06:42:50

Does anyone know how much faster these bikes will go with a raptor on them.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 08/25/11 at 06:46:00

fuel flows better but I don't think it would impact top end unless other mods were involved...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 08/25/11 at 08:16:51

Wink

I have a Raptor petcock on my bike.   My old original black engine will do 70 mph in third, 90+ mph in fourth, and I have never been patient enough to see what it will finally do in 5th as it speeds up so very very slowly in the top end of 5th gear.   Over 100 mph on a Savage is kinda silly anyway -- you can't really ever DO that in the mountains so who needs it?   I generally stay in 4th unless I am tooling on down the road trying to maximize gas mileage, then I use 5th as an overdrive mostly.

Now, what does this mean to you?   Raptors are necessary for a high performance engine to flow enough gas to get maximum performance out of that engine.   Stock engines, mebbe not so much (while the stock vac unit is still working good anyway).

I also get about 39 miles per gallon when I am wickin', so you can see that extra gas is being used once you begin to play the wicker game.

Not that my engine has very many performance or reliability enhancers done to it, mind you -- the cases are bone stock, as is the piston and the jug.

Roll Eyes                oh Routy, your special bird is all warmed up and ready .... bon appetite !!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
marioivargas

Los Angeles
Reply #10 - 08/25/11 at 10:31:07

On another note.  I heard something about synthetic?  I'm about to hit 9K on mine and I'm debating on switching to synthetic oil as I heard it makes for smoother shifts.  What brand and viscosity should I get?  Is there a special filter involved?

All I remember reading is that I can get it at WalMart   Smiley

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #11 - 08/25/11 at 10:36:40

marioivargas wrote on 08/25/11 at 10:31:07:
On another note.  I heard something about synthetic?  I'm about to hit 9K on mine and I'm debating on switching to synthetic oil as I heard it makes for smoother shifts.  What brand and viscosity should I get?  Is there a special filter involved?

Here you go...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1099572561/65#65

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 08/25/11 at 10:49:25

Use any synthetic motorcycle oil,You get what you pay for a cheap oil is a cheap oil,A better oil will pay for its self in the long run and you will have better shifting.I usse Klotz but it cost to much for some people on here.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 08/25/11 at 11:06:42

You're talking about Rotella T6, it has the requied JASO MA spec noted in the owners manual.  Only comes in one weight.  No special filters required.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 07:22:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Raptor petcock swap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.